• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Passing of Oak Okleshen

When we leave this earth, man's contribution to his fellow man is what will be remembered.

And Oak did plenty of that.

I wrote him in the early 90's about my R90s, and in return received a six page, typed letter, elaborately detailed with answers to my every question.

He was incredibly enthusiastic about Airhead's and reading his letter, I felt even more confident about my bike's abilities to take me anywhere.

RIP.

You won't get that from anybody now. Other than a couple of nice guys, most of the "insiders" won't give you the time of day, and if responded to, you will be treated like dirt with cryptic responses and even sarcasm and ridicule!! Just read some of the responses on this site from the "gurus"!!!

Here's a picture I took at one of Oak's tech sessions at the 1982 National at Shreve Ohio...proof of that is written on the folder of the member in the front row...yeah, I intended that when I took the picture. ;) He's wearing a t-shirt that says "Here Comes Trouble"! Looks like Oak was having an "oil discussion"...looks like he was illustrating oil molecules and how they work to lubricate between two metals.

Living only 30 miles away, I also went to that National - my only one!

Oak brought an engineer's perspective to BMW motorcycle maintenance, which is the best perspective by far, as anecdotal experience is basically worthless by comparison.

In my pre-retirement days, I worked as a technical writer and feel it's pretty common many engineers can usefully team with writers to help "translate" their knowledge to something useful for nontechnical folks--this unfortunately seldom was available from editors of MOA ON or the Airheads publication. Paul and Matt have been similarly disserved.

Nevertheless, Oak was indeed a major contributor and IMHO was particularly adept at translating the strong German culture behind BMW engineering into "American." His equal successor has yet to emerge and he'll be missed.

Oak = Guru

Aside from being a true Gentleman.....it is his picture under the word "Airhead Guru" in most reference pubs :dance

I, like many of you have read Oak's articles , his writings, his solutions to many of our tech problems we couldn't figure out. I have used him, silently for years, since the 80's without ever saying, "Thank You." I know it is now too late to say and I feel a little ashamed. But it made me think about the guru's and members I only know from lurking and reading and learning from on the Forum now. So, now I will say, Thank you. Thank you Kurt -- Forum Liaison for being there to guide us in the right direction when we get lost. Thank you, PGlaves for being there and knowing the answer to those tech questions and then explaining the fix in laymen terms. Thank you to all the members that want to give a helping hand when asked. And I need to say it anyway, Thank you Oak; I/we will miss you.

It certainly hurts very much to lose someone so ingrained in our Airhead lore. There are other supporters out there that we still really, really need. Snowbum has a great website and drops in on the forum once in a while. Matt Parkhouse contributes to the ON...sure would be nice to have him be a part of the forum...he's been here before and has 6 posts to his name! Tom Cutter also contributes to the ON but has his business and seems to be more involved in other electronic sites...I understand he's on Facebook. :hungover Vech at Benchmark Works keeps all us vintage owners on the straight and narrow. There are many contributors including Anton who supports across a range of models. Too many to mention...but wonderful supporters of our older machines! :thumb

I heard from Tom Cutter who indicated that Oak's old email address is now defunct. However, in the latest Airmail magazine, it states that his top end manual ($30) can still be ordered along with his Tech Index ($25) from his wife. Contact information is found in the Resources and Links thread.

I bought a Top End manual from Oak. When he noticed that my email address was from the American Radio Relay League, he wrote a note to me in the inside cover in Morse Code. Laughed till I cried, especially since I have a non-code Tech license and had to get the book out to de-code it.

Lee

Condolences to Oak's family. A big loss to the airhead community for sure. I never knew him but have read many tech articles from him in the Airheads.org publication.

I wrote him in the early 90's about my R90s, and in return received a six page, typed letter, elaborately detailed with answers to my every question.

He was incredibly enthusiastic about Airhead's and reading his letter, I felt even more confident about my bike's abilities to take me anywhere.

RIP.

Totally unlike the organization today. Several current people are great! The rest...well...they are not so great. Back then, the focus was on the members. Today, I get the impression the focus is on keeping the organization going. Take the magazine - what a almost total waste! You could take a National Geographic and substitute two-wheeled vehicles for autos, and you would get the same thing. Not what I want from an organization like this!

Back