• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Panniers for 2012 R1200GSA

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
I'm in the process of purchasing and configuring a brand-new Triple Black R1200GSA.

I'm trying to decide what panniers and top case I should go with on the new bike. Ride West BMW (my local dealer) is also a Touratech dealer, so I can get the BMW cases or the Touratech cases built in to the amount financed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what set of bags I'd like best? The BMW cases will work with the bike key, while I'll need different keys for the Touratech boxes. That's a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

Please don't suggest Jesse bags (or others), as I can't build their price into the amount financed, so they aren't an option for me. My choice is between one of the Touratech offerings and the BMW branded boxes, which my dealer tells me are in fact made by Touratech.

Recommendations?

Given your two choices, I'd go with the BMW ones so they'd be keyed the same. There is not much difference between the Touratech's and the BMW cases, as your dealer told you.

I got the BMW cases because they were part of the incentives that BMW was running at the time and my wife was only allowing me to write one check so it was a no brainer. I've been happy with with them, but would have gone with Jesse's had I been able too. I always figured I could sell the BMW ones to someone else and they could re-key them if I didn't like them. So far so good.

I've just returned from filling out some paperwork at the dealer, and I spend a couple of minutes closely inspecting the GSA panniers on a GSA on display. They do in fact look robust enough, and are in fact quite different from the GS panniers, which appear to open outwards like most BMW system cases, instead of from the top, like most adventure side cases.

Decision made, money saved!

As an "RT" guy, I can only say you are so lucky to have options here! I'd definitely look at other options than BMW... Jesse perhaps?

One other benefit of the BMW bags is you can remove them from the bike without opening them. The touratech bags are "locked" from the inside of the bag. If you want to take the bags off, like into a hotel, or other area of your campsite, you have to partially unpack them to get to the locking mechanism.

The Touratech bags are thicker metal, so they may be more sturdy in a get off. But both are aluminum, so the difference will be minimal at best.

I went with the BMW bags on my 2012 gsa.

As an "RT" guy, I can only say you are so lucky to have options here! I'd definitely look at other options than BMW... Jesse perhaps?

I'm still an "RT" guy myself, and don't think I didn't consider getting a new RT instead of a new GSA simply because the RT already comes with the luggage!

As an "RT" guy, I'm not used to spending $1700+ to add luggage to a bike that already costs $23K.

But I'm excited to have luggage I can throw around the hotel room or campsite without worrying about getting scratches on the pretty painted Tupperware parts.

Touratech without a doubt

Triple Black GSA? Absolutely no question - Black Touratech Zega Pro panniers!!

Locks are straightforward, corner reinforcement (and shock absorbers!), very robust, look great.

TT/Jesse?

Both are priced about equal and just got the new catalogue from TT, theirs are PRICEY'est of all bags I've seen. Near 2000$ for the black ones:(. Love my Jesse's, but don't blame you for shopping, as these dollars are a BIG pill to swallow! I like "Tim Bernard"owner of Happy Trails(Boise,Idaho), a friend too and he's a real fair guy to work with I hear and have seen:). Al Jesse too, a friend(Glendale,AZ), but? TT I think is Europe made. All good stuff. Those 2 guys above go above and beyond to help, I know and Tim B. is a big supporter of GSGiants:). A very cool thing to be:). We ALL meet in "OARK,ARK", July15th, GSGiant rendevous. This is about 250m South of Sedalia and we all end up there on the 18th. BETTER SIGN UP:). Its a HOOT beyond words. Easy to find data here at Forum Central. Rally Pages. Randy"Polarbear" BTW; Its a 100 bucks to register, AND a gauranteed every pennys worth of value you get out of this event. Everythings included, food,beer,camping and a zillion GS/GSAs to partner with:). SORRY for the highjack your thread, but the bags are a huge value your bike needs and you get a rel quality proiduct from most of these bag builders. Best to ya, Randy:thumb

Guess I need to tie up loose ends...

The BMW dealer convinced me to go with the BMW Adventure boxes that are made by TT. No additional racks required, and I like the locking mechanism on the BMW TT boxes better than the mechanisms on the TT bags.

The BMW dealer is also a TT dealer, so they would have made more money had they steered me towards the TT boxes.

I did my first overnight camping trip on the bike with my son this past weekend, and I was amazed at how much gear the three boxes swallowed compared to what I'm able to pack on the RTP.

I realized out in the wilderness that those aluminum boxes are a great place to store your food and garbage (in separate boxes, of course) when in bear country!

I've also got 'em all covered up with stickers, as required by law.

20120617-020.jpg

Back