• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Options to Prevent Cold Fingers While Riding

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I picked up my new to me GS (2018 R1200 GS). The temp was in the mid to low 50's. While the gear I have kept the rest of me warm enough, my fingers were not so lucky. My gloves, I believe, are for colder weather. The heated grips didn't help much. Any suggestions? Glove liners? Heated gloves? What to do others do/wear?

Hippo Hands

Jeff,

I bought a set of Hippo Hands and usually install when temps go below 40 here. I can wear my summer gloves with the grip heaters on and protects my fingers from the windchill. Around here I have used them in mid twenties but it usually doesn’t get that cold here often.

https://www.hippohands.com/

I prefer this option because I don’t like the insulation in the thicker gloves, I think it can create a barrier to grip heating and I lose my connectedness to the bike with the heavier gloves.

Get luck in your quest.

Chris

Yup, Hippo Hands are the answer. You’ve got to get your hands out of the airstream. HH are also great for keeping your hands dry on rainy days. I really don't like the bulk of winter or heated gloves. Hippo Hands (and grip heaters) let me wear my Held Steves down to about 25F

Last edited:
Hippo Hands or ATV equivalent really help. Bark-Custer style hand protection helps hold them in shape. If you try them, be careful on how they attach. I have found that some straps "sit" on control buttons and can engage the starter or whatever else the buttons are used for.
OM

I bought a pair of Triple Digit Rain gloves at Riders Warehouse. While they certainly work well in the rain as over-gloves to my other gloves, they're really good at cutting the wind. It's amazing how that wind/cold can find its way through the stitching of regular gloves. I tried all kinds of ski gloves but eventually found that these over-gloves did a good job.

I ride in some very low temperatures on my two wheel drive Ural here in the northern Rockies. I have heated grips, heated gloves and Hippo Hands ALCANs. If I could have only one of the three it would be heated gloves; warm hands down.

Just to add to comments, a number of years ago I found silk glove liners. These are amazing things, very thin, and add an additional layer inside the gloves. Combine this with the heated grips on my RT, and I can ride happily in the 50s F with my usual summer riding gloves. Below that a heavier pair of gloves with the liners is great. A big +1 for heated glove liners for the really cold days - or plowing with the ATV in the winter...

Call me a sissy but like the silks also, they pack and stuff flat and are not bulky when wearing.

Try this too: wrap front brake and clutch levers

When your fingers leave the heated grips to use the front brake or clutch, you are touching 36º F aluminum, but if you wrap these levers with some leather shoelace or foamy backed athletic tape your fingers are not so rapidly being brought down to cold temps. If you are riding roads that require using these levers, you'll appreciate the improvement.

When your fingers leave the heated grips to use the front brake or clutch, you are touching 36º F aluminum, but if you wrap these levers with some leather shoelace or foamy backed athletic tape your fingers are not so rapidly being brought down to cold temps. If you are riding roads that require using these levers, you'll appreciate the improvement.

I may be wrong because I haven't tried this. But, it seems to me my fingers won't care if I touch 36 degree aluminum or 36 degree leather or tape. It seems to me 36 degrees is 36 degrees.

Like these? :ha

i-sbTKRrM.png

I bought a pair of Triple Digit Rain gloves at Riders Warehouse. While they certainly work well in the rain as over-gloves to my other gloves, they're really good at cutting the wind. It's amazing how that wind/cold can find its way through the stitching of regular gloves. I tried all kinds of ski gloves but eventually found that these over-gloves did a good job.

I find that using the Triple Digit Rain Gloves....along with heated gloves work the best for me.

I have Raynauds in my fingers and they get very cold at temps in low 50's and below.

I have WarmNSafe heated gloves and they work fine (even at full power) until temps drop or I have a cold cross wind blowing onto the back of my hands.

Heated gloves on low setting with Triple Digit Rain Gloves over the gloves keep my hands toasty in the coldest of temps.

The gloves fold up taking up very little space when not needed and you have them handy for riding in the rain.

+3 on the Triple Digit Rain Gloves

I also have Raynauf's and my fingers will turn waxy yellow-white in colder temps. Heated gloves or heated grips and the over gloves work really well. I can feel a drastic difference whenever I don't have the Triple Digit cloves on.

When I used to ride my Honda 750-4 in cold weather, nothing would beat leather mitten style gloves with wool mitten liners. Kinda goofy looking but really effective.
OM

When I used to ride my Honda 750-4 in cold weather, nothing would beat leather mitten style gloves with wool mitten liners. Kinda goofy looking but really effective.
OM

I still use my HD gauntlet wool-lined leather mittens, although now they’re enhanced with Gerbing heated glove liners. My HD mittens are 50 years old and still in great shape.

Doug

Back