• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK ... looking for some guidance on traveling to Springfield from Americade .....

gsinnc

For a couple reasons I will be able to hit Americade in Lake George NY for 3 nights before heading to Marietta to meet a few other buddies and then heading to Springfield. I have our route from Marietta nailed down ... BUT .... looking for suggestions getting from Lake George to Marietta. Planning on taking Route 8 out of Johnsburg and then head to Fort Stanwix and then on to Flight 93 Memorial. (working on my IBA National Park Challenge) May try and hit the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich, NY too. Best lodging I could find at a reasonable rate was in Penn Yan, NY. Will probably run down highway 15 to get to Flight 93.

Was thinking of looping up through Wheeling and then down the Ohio River Scenic Byway .... anyone have experience with the byway? It looks nice but you never know.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have 3 days to get from Lake George to Marietta OH (about 730 miles) so real easy days and time to meander.

Are you riding your GS or RT?

The Ohio river scenic byway is a nice road, nothing dramatic but scenic and a nice pace. I’d recommend it!

To get there you might consider the Triple Nickel, Ohio 555. This is a fairly technical road, however, and I wouldn’t recommend it on the RT.

To help promote our 2005 Rally, I wrote an article on the road for the BMW Owners News, and here on the forum, based on the collected comments of a lot of people on the forum.

There is a lot of current info on this road on-line.

Ian

Are you riding your GS or RT?

The Ohio river scenic byway is a nice road, nothing dramatic but scenic and a nice pace. I’d recommend it!

To get there you might consider the Triple Nickel, Ohio 555. This is a fairly technical road, however, and I wouldn’t recommend it on the RT.

To help promote our 2005 Rally, I wrote an article on the road for the BMW Owners News, and here on the forum, based on the collected comments of a lot of people on the forum.

There is a lot of current info on this road on-line.

Ian

Thanks for the info on the Ohio River Scenic Byway. It sounds nice for sure. I will be on the RT and we plan on riding "555" after leaving Marietta. I have done the Triple Nickel 2 or 3 times before and really enjoy it as did my RT last year on the way to Great Falls. A few of the other guys in our group have not done 555 hence my including it on the route. Funny I've heard folks from Ohio describe 555 as pretty "technical" but I always thought it was somewhat tame, hence my liking it. The only part of 555 that I find requires some care are what I call the "whoop-dee-dos" ... those sharp road humps where you can't see over the top so some care is required. I guess living and riding in NC I consider roads like Moonshiner 28 and 226A near Little Switzerland to be "technical" and roads that truly require your close attention. I actually prefer the southern Virginia Roads more where the curves are a bit milder and fewer switchbacks. Thanks for the info .... looks like the Ohio River Road will remain on my list.

Ed - 555 is technical more from a gravel/poor pavement conditions and weird blind turns than curviness. Glad you’ve ridden it, it’s one of my faves.

Ed - 555 is technical more from a gravel/poor pavement conditions and weird blind turns than curviness. Glad you’ve ridden it, it’s one of my faves.

Yes …. I agree that caution is certainly required. I like it a lot.

Back