• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oh Well;

Polarbear

Polarbear
Its almost time again to think long rides around the USA! I ask every year from my home in ClovisCA.. I ride a lot, with a lot of it almost no planning ahead, just go. Easy as a solo rider. But, the rally in MO. is coming up, so anybody near me going? GSA1200 here or vintage Airhead R100/7 if the spirit hits me and the GSA fails to keep me happy. I depart YosemiteNP every year, heading East a lot in recent years. I camp a lot, moteling only if weather is horrible to camp. I like 500m days or more, some less if sightseeing a lot. Can do 750+, but not likely anymore, done that, been there, not much need these days for IB stuff. Had my share of 1000 milers. Thats about it:), 60 years old, still riding a lot every chance I get, so welcome anybody with same goals going my way. RandyGSA1200, R100/7 and KLR650, all tour ready:). PS; Anybody need help planning/advice on touring far and wide NAmerica or working/prepping bikes, PLEASE find me and we can chat away at touring or whatever bike chores interest you:).....My bike garage is well equipped, Randy:thumb:dance

Randy,

3 of us are heading out of Merced/Fresno to go to the RA rally in CO. Still route planning, we will leave on June 11, hope to camp it as well. Will be a bomber run back, but hope to find an interesting route there. Not wanting to go through Yosemite NP due to the time it takes to get through, so probably starting by heading south.

All suggestions, etc. taken!

Good;

I've not researched the RA Rally yet, so where is it? Dates? I know most do not like YNP for that reason, but I always use it and "early enough AM"to have NO traffic, its fast enough and surely a lot better riding than alternative slabs leaving CA.. I usually make ELY,NV or the equivilant distance first night out. 500+. I have a good camp in CalienteNV area too, I've used with good shower:). KOA in ELY is the place. Thanks for checking in here:). I have no time frames, just go when it feels right. All my family lives East in Virginia, so I ride quite far most every year ending up all over. Maybe we stay in touch:). Its hard finding riding partners the same, even a couple days riding. GSA1200Randy

Randy,

RA Rally is June 14-17, Copper Ridge, Copper Canyon? CO. Some ski resort near Breckenridge. You are right, getting out of CA is always a chore. We were hoping to head up through 4 corners area, hit some mountains in CO on the way. Might have to think about your route through YNP just in case...

It's at the Copper Mountain ski resort located at I-70 and Colorado 91. Great riding in every direction, on and off road.

Like CO.:)

Yep, give YNP some more thought. You get through there, say before 8AM and you have the roads to yourself mostly:). I try to hit the Tioga Pass by 9AM and not much later for good passage, no traffic. VERY nice ride vs. slabs. Take 120 all the way to Benton Hot Springs,CA., Hwy6 into Nevada and so on. Another good way is to Hawthorn via N.end Mono Lake and Gabbs to US50 to Ely,NV..I use these two routes exclusively leaving CA:) for parts way East..I will go South only if middle Arizona comes into my plans...I used to frequent Sedona and Prescott:)Randy

Randy,

Next time you find yourself in Montana give us a shout. We are 23 miles east of Flesher pass on Lincoln Road. We have a well equipped shop (lift, tire changer, tools and some parts); I maintain it in hopes that someone will stop in that knows how to use all this crap. Room and board are gratis to riders. We are new to this area, having just moved down from Alaska, but we are eager to explore our new home.

v/r

Thanks, much apprecaited:)

Been there in Montana so many times, always riding. Moved to Montana huh and I've seen your posts from AK over the years. Only state I've not ridden in, AK. Enjoy your newfound Montana, as its one neat place too, one of my favorites. I'll try to keep your invite in mind, as I pass that way again someday. My ranch too, equally friendly to fellow tourers and I am not located in populated CA., backroads here a plenty:). Good luck to ya in Big Sky land. You met one of those Big Sky Summer storms yet!!! Born there, they are....Randy:thumb

I'm going to a small rally, or gathering in Coarsegold in April.
I was thinking maybe a ride thru' the park at that time. Some of the others will just be riding the roads just north and around your area.
I'm now about to leave for Cabo San Lucas. Just ride down, and back. Maybe 2 weeks.
I don't know where I'd like to ride this summer. Maybe the Sierra passes or Hwy 49. And maybe Utah and Colorado.
Those were my rides last year. And I did not see everything.
dc

......... Only state I've not ridden in, AK.

............You met one of those Big Sky Summer storms yet!!!

You need to correct that AK shortfall. Be a great discussion over a beverage sometime.

We moved here because of the short and easy winters and overall gentle environment. :brow

Yeah, I know:(

AK comes up every year for me for a lot of years now and I still ride East or Canada and even Mexico. BIG continent! I've been just about everywhere in Montana. however so do not blame you for picking that one:). We were looking at property(home) at Flathead Lake S. of Kalispell last year. Probably East again this year for the rally and so on. Family back that way too, I rarely see enough of. Ride well, Randy

Back