• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Norton, KS to Denver Area

217don

We are planning a trip to just southwest of the Denver area for a family reunion and I thought I would take US 36 west from the midwest rather than the interstate. Mapquest suggests that west of Norton, KS we head north and pick up US 34 and then I-76. Anybody ridden US 36 west from Kansas to Colorado? Looks flat and straight but so do the other routes through eastern Colorado so I am curious about why Mapquest would route us further north.

We used to live in Lawrence, Kansas and have taken 36 west into Colorado many times. Sometimes we hit I-70 at Byers, and sometimes jog north to avoid the Denver metromess entirely.

It is relatively straight and flat across Kansas and eastern Colordo, but is a pleasant ride with a few small towns. Almost every town has a nice, shady, park providing a good place to take a break if so inclined. Fuel is readily available in Kansas, but might be sparce in Joes and other Colorado places, so gas early and often is our drill.

Enjoy.

We used to live in Lawrence, Kansas and have taken 36 west into Colorado many times. Sometimes we hit I-70 at Byers, and sometimes jog north to avoid the Denver metromess entirely.

It is relatively straight and flat across Kansas and eastern Colordo, but is a pleasant ride with a few small towns. Almost every town has a nice, shady, park providing a good place to take a break if so inclined. Fuel is readily available in Kansas, but might be sparce in Joes and other Colorado places, so gas early and often is our drill.

Enjoy.

Thanks. Rather like US 90 Del Rio to Marathon?

Ride from Central Illinois to Denver Area

We rode out to the Denver area from central Illinois and used US 36 across Missouri, Kansas and part of Colorado. As an FYI we stayed in Macon, Missouri at the Travelier Motel. Not fancy but clean and inexpensive and within walking distance of a Mexican restaurant. No real breakfast served at the motel but I find most motel breakfasts to be too carb heavy for me anyway. In Belleville, Kansas we stayed at the S and H Motel. Again not fancy but clean and well maintained. Belleville is pretty slim in terms of restaurants. Wound up at another Mexican restaurant but there was nothing within walking distance except fast food. The motel supplied complimentary bottled water and snacks in the room but no shampoo in the shower. There did not appear to be anywhere to stay on 36 in eastern Colorado so we turned north to Wray for our final night before hitting Denver. 36 is a reasonable alternative to the interstate. It is mostly 4 lane in Missouri and by passes most towns; in Kansas it is mostly 2 lane and goes through lots of little towns so you will see a lot of small town America which I enjoy. In Kansas, the eastbound trucks seemed to running at about 80 so buffeting was a real problem. From Denver we dropped down to Santa Fe and picked up old 66 for the ride home.

Back