• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No spark, no fuel, weird Motronic outputs

soliton

Hi guys,

Four months ago I rebuilt my gearbox a while ago and replaced the clutch, on a positive note they work brilliantly. Unfortunately in the process I had to move elements of the wiring harness around. Since then I've had nought but problems. The bike recently stopped running completely. It flatly refused to start. The starter cranks but no spark and no fuel, weirdly the injectors squirt a small amount once and then nothing. No obvious spark at all.

I found that the Hall effect sensor was ratted and replaced it. Running a CRO on the sensor outputs shows a nice trailing edge square wave (exactly what I expected) but the bike still didn't start.

The inputs from the HES are good but the outputs from the ECU to the injectors AND the coil were low amplitude and messy. On spec I swapped out the ECU, exactly the same symptoms. Low amplitude and incredibly messy outputs from the ECU. Cranks but no start.

The ECU is getting power, (both of them)
Voltage drop at start is not excessive.
The coil values are in spec.
Relays and fuses are good.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am all out of ideas.

Sol.

How old is the battery?
If the battery is completely certified as good, I would check the important battery connections.
OM

R1150r 2002 - Single spark

Sorry forgot to put the make, model and year in the title of the thread.

The battery is brand new, and the connections are clean and tight. ECU is getting good voltage and all the obvious grounds are solid.

Back