• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150R - Fueling options

soliton

I'm considering my options around fuelling. The Motronic on the 1150s works but not particularly well.

Does anyone have any real world experience with either of these 2 options?

1 - Replace the Moronic with something like a Microsquirt or Speeduino ECU along with dual Bosch wideband O2 sensors, or

2 - Replace the EFI entirely with modern jetlless carburettors. Lectrons or Smartcarb 2 (SC2)
The SC2 would be my preference, it is full sealed (no overflow hoses hanging out) and the bell shaped throat provides better balance across low/medium and wide open throttle (WOT).

I'm starting to find issues with the electronics , the insulation is breaking down. I won't be buying a new harness or a second hand one. This wiring will be replaced with heat resistant silicone coated wire and Deutsch Caterpillar spec connectors. A carb system would massively reduce the complexity of the harness design and build.

Before running down the rabbit hole you are suggesting, try a device that modifies the signal from the O2 sensor. Some are adjustable + or - to the fueling table. I have personally installed an AF-XIED fuel trimmer on my R11S with good results. I think there are several different brands on the market.

Frank

try a device that modifies the signal from the O2 sensor. Some are adjustable + or - to the fueling table. I have personally installed an AF-XIED fuel trimmer on my R11S with good results. I think there are several different brands on the market.

Thanks Frank, you are absolutely right! The AF-XIED works well. It's what I currently have installed and for its cost I think it one of the best. I tried a Techlusion once, not a fan, never tried a Boosterplug. My perspective for the AF-XIED and similar devices is that even the best of them only act to fix the symptoms and not the underlying problems inherent with the Motronic 2.2 and 2.4.

When I modify the bike I also want to be able to modify the fuelling to match. Carburettors allow for that and that swap isn't anything new. Scriminger Engineering was doing it years ago with great results using 40mm Bings. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/236298-Carbs-on-an-oilhead After market ECUs also support fuelling modification and both options remove the "black box" element of the current set up.

I do all of my own wrenching, electronics and fabrication, either option will have challenges but that is part of the joy of it and I enjoy the whole custom modding process. I was interested to see if anyone else in the forums had tried either option and what their experiences may have been.

Rs,

Sol.

Back