• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie Saying Hello

Many years of bicycle riding with minimal rear fenders taught me to make sure my motorcycles have them. Not only fenders but on the bike I ride the most fender extensions or "mud" flaps.

The happy order is to find the rain after the liquid manure. Thankfully MOST dairy farmers keep the drain valves in good working order. I can attest a good size puddle at an intersection of it can make stopping interesting. Starting as well.

Years ago, I used to rent a motorhome to go to the Daytona 500 with five friends. We would take turns and drive all night to get there. Well, I was driving the first day and noticed there wasn't anyone tailgating me. Yeah, I know slow ass in a motorhome, get out of the way, but no, no one on my butt trying to pass or hurry me up, the cars were keeping a polite distance. At the first fuel stop I found the drinking water tank was just about empty, it had cracked and was leaking pretty good. Now the drivers in the car didn't know it was just drinking water, they played it safe. Duct tape solved the problem till we got back to the rental shop. St.

:)!!!

Come on warm weather!

A few small updates:

Finished off fabrication of the battery box. It's 3D printed in PETG and then skinned with chopped carbon fiber for the "forged carbon-fiber" look.

PXL_20210402_195157344.jpg
PXL_20210402_195220539.jpg

Next up was a brake line guide. The 3D printed prototype is pictured below. This should allow the brake line to freely move upwards with fork compression. Final version is printed now, but I need to finish it off with epoxy and spray paint.

PXL_20210317_231944212.jpg

Finally, the license plate mount, also 3D printed in PETG, in two pieces and then bonded. I really hate the side/axle mounted license plate holders, So I designed and printed this one to tuck in under the seat. Since taking these photos, I have finished the pieces of with a few layers of epoxy and then a satin black spray finish:

PXL_20210326_165248359.jpg
PXL_20210326_165259703.MP.jpg

What's left??? Tune the timing up, balance the carbs.. then RIDE!!!

First ride/s under the belt!!!

The bike feels amazing. The weight loss is very apparent and amazingly the TKC80 tires track the corners really well! I live up a mountain road, so the route to town and back involves 2000ft altitude change and 70 corners either way :)

Issues so far:

- Fuel filters clogged up with crap from the tank paint job. Flushed the tank a 2nd time, and replaced the filters.
- Head light fell out on the first test ride as the fixing screw was not ideally located... New hole drilled and now it is well secured. (I need to touch up the epoxy that got scuffed)

I'll do a "photoshoot" in a few weeks, once Colorado decides that snow is done for the year!

S

looking very very nice...!

where in colorado are you located?
I'm in longmont... but another year away from my "first ride" at this point.
my bike was parked for (1983) 27 years.. when I bought it
now its been about 37 years since its actually ran...

luckily COVID got me motivated and paint/powdercoat are now done.. reassembly started.

and I'm looking forward to my first ever ride on an airhead.

brant

looking very very nice...!

where in colorado are you located?
I'm in longmont... but another year away from my "first ride" at this point.
my bike was parked for (1983) 27 years.. when I bought it
now its been about 37 years since its actually ran...

luckily COVID got me motivated and paint/powdercoat are now done.. reassembly started.

and I'm looking forward to my first ever ride on an airhead.

brant

Thanks, Brant. I'm in the foothills, west of Boulder, so not too far from Longmont. Working on the Airhead is pretty fun! I've got some original parts left over for sale, so let me know when you get there if you're looking for anything!

Seth

Did you powder coat the wheels? I'm not a big fan of the snowflake wheels on my R65, I like the looks of yours.

Did you powder coat the wheels? I'm not a big fan of the snowflake wheels on my R65, I like the looks of yours.

Thanks, Yes, had them powder coated, with a powder color called burnt root beer. They also have a coat of clear

Thanks for posting the video, it answered my next question. I'm a stock guy, but I admire your vision and work.

Very nice work! I like the 3d printing and how do you go about "skinning" something with carbon fibre?

Very nice work! I like the 3d printing and how do you go about "skinning" something with carbon fibre?

Thanks!

If you're familiar with fiber-glass covering/layup it's very similar. There's a stack of variations, but they all revolve around nicely covering something with a sheet of carbon fiber weave and then epoxying over it. The main difference from fiberglass is that for CF, you care about the look, so more care is taken in laying down the weave nicely and then a ton more coats of epoxy go on. I think I have 10 coats on the headlamp, to really wash out the texture and give a smooth finish. The final finish can involve a lot of sanding and then polishing afterward. Time-consuming, but the outcome is great (that's if you like carbon fiber look though)

Hi Guys

Well.... The project is done... I've put about 200 miles on the bike and it is an absolute blast to ride. The weight loss has been extreme and it really holds its own on the twisty mountain road that takes me to and from work!

PXL_20210613_232817188.PORTRAIT.jpg

It is now time however to move on to the next bike and see if I can recoup my "no-budget bike-build" costs on this amazing bike! It's up in the Marketplace if anyone is interested!

What could be next... :)

Seth

Looks great, I see you have a little KTM keeping company in the shop. :)

Thanks! FaceBook keeps rejecting the advert as it has the word VAPE (ignition manufacturer) in it, and "smoking" products are not allowed up there ... such clever computers...

Yes sir... not so little though :p its a 500EXC-F

MVIMG_20200907_113824.jpg

I was teasing you, I could almost guess what size it was. I have a 525 XCW in process...
IMG_0870-XL.jpg

...and a 640 Adventure on the road with me here.
IMG_4580_HEIC-XL.jpg

I was teasing you, I could almost guess what size it was. I have a 525 XCW in process...
IMG_0870-XL.jpg

...and a 640 Adventure on the road with me here.
IMG_4580_HEIC-XL.jpg

Both really nice!

Back when I lived in London U.K. I had a LC4 powered supermoto. It was KTM's 660SMC, which had no electric start! It was a beast of a machine and something that you really did not want to stall in traffic!

Back