• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Old Guy Checking Back In

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Hello Folks,
My name is Joe, and I've been a BMWMOA member, off and on, since around 1981 when I bought the first BMW, a 1978 R100/7. Since then I have owned four more Airheads (79 R65, 82 R100RT, 79 R100RT, and 76 R90/6) and, collectively have ridden them at least 200,000 miles. I am currently on a 2008 GoldWing, and bored to tears after 70,000 miles on it. So to spice up life a bit, I am looking to get back on an Airhead. I figured it'd also be a good idea to renew my BMWMOA membership and join this forum, so here I am.

I am looking at mono shock R100RTs. Have found several good candidates, and now trying now to narrow them down and make a choice. I look forward to fellowshipping with y'all down the road.
Thanks

Good bikes. Good luck. I suspect you know what you are looking for and how to tell it when you find it.

Welcome, Joe, and thanks for hanging around all these years! We both got into BMWs with the same bike...but you've done a lot more riding than I have. I'd say you should focus on the last year 1995 RT...that's probably as good as it gets for Airheads.

Umm, I know how you feel. I have owned many airheads over the years and they, for whatever reason are my favorite bikes. I sold a real nice r100r a while back and replaced it with a beautiful 1993 K75. Really competent motorbike, certainly a better bike than an airhead in a lot of respects, but it just bores me. No character or something. I had a 1982 Goldwing for a while, okay bike but a bit too porky for my liking, but overall good for what it did. I've ridden, but never owned an r65, that's on my radar now. Good to have you back.

Keep your eye out for a R-80 RT. They pop up on the marketplace now and then.
Some think that was the nicest airhead engine ever.
Nick

Good to be back

A good choice on the R100RT. I have owned 1981, 1983, 1989 and now 1991. I think I enjoyed the 1989 the most but the 1991 is great too. I had a R65, R80 and K1200LT with Sidecar. The one is miss the most is the ‘89. They were all great bikes and I don’t regret any. Good luck on your search!
Craig

Now Proud Owner Of 1995 R100RT Classic

After initially posting here I got sidetracked, and wound up with a Suzuki V-Strom. It didn't take long to figure out that was a mistake, so I decided to sell it. My son said he wanted it, so I made him a sweet deal and then resumed the Airhead quest. A few days ago I found this 95 RT, with an RDL seat & backrest, and only 25000 miles on it. So after talking with the owner several times, today I rode the Goldwing 225 miles to look it over, with cash in pocket. NO disappointments, we reached a deal, and I rode it home. It is now sitting in my garage. I plan to have my son take me back and pick up the Goldwing this weekend.

Tomorrow, I will go to DMV and register it, but first will adjust the valves, as they seem a little tight. Other than that, it appears to need nothing but riding. The seller owns 7-8 bikes, and owned this RT for 10 years and 10,000 miles. He has all his bikes serviced often, so this BMW has none of the usual problems is buying one that's been sitting awhile, i.e. needing carb work. I noticed the odometer is 3-4 percent low, and the speedo a bit high, but not much. With the 11/33 rear gears, it indicates 86 MPH at 5000 RPM. Will mount the GPS later and check closer, but it seems a lot closer than I was expecting.

I plan to rejoin the Airhead folks, and BMWMOA. Gonna ask both if I can somehow keep my old registration numbers, but I have no idea what either of those numbers are. The BMWMOA join date was probably 1981/82, and the Airhead join date was probably early 1990s.

It's good to be back on an Airhead!

Good on ya! Glad you could find something that warms the heart and brings a smile to your face! Pictures please when you get a chance! :thumb

Check with the office regarding your old numbers, etc. I'm sure they'll fix you right up!

Back