• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New NY Member

Bobonli

Hello. I'm a long time outside observer of this organization, having been referred here by a member when I started asking questions about BMW motorcycles on another website. I signed up for the "3 Free Issues" of the Owner's News deal, and have been hooked ever since. The organization, this website and the publication share a wealth of information so I could not help but join.

I've been motorcycling on and off since 1993. I started with a small HD Sportster, which people said I looked silly on, given my tall height. It's great for the ego when people tell you you look silly on a motorcycle! I took a break for several years and about 2 years ago bought a Vespa to commute on. It seemed like a good gateway vehicle to see if I was still into riding. It's small size also made it easy to stash under a cover since I was until recently an apartment dweller. I've been an avid cyclist all my life and particularly enjoy mountain bike riding. As much as the scooter gets me to where I have to go, there are places it cannot take me, such as fire roads. It's also a handful in the wind, on bumpy roads......etc etc.

I'm hoping to transition back to a full sized MC by the end of the year. I've been tuning up my skills in lessons (worried that I forgot how to shift while riding the scooter..but it all comes right back) and take safety very seriously.

I hope to be able to ask a few questions and get some practical guidance as I try to educate myself on my next (last?) MC purchase. I promise to use the Search function first.

I'm in the Western Nassau County part of Long Island, NY and look forward to contributing to the community here.

Welcome! Hope you survived the ire of Irene with no ill effects.

What kind of bike are you looking or leaning towards? Vintage/classic, sport touring, luxury touring? Do you like naked bikes or full fairing bikes? So many choices!!!

Welcome! Hope you survived the ire of Irene with no ill effects.

What kind of bike are you looking or leaning towards? Vintage/classic, sport touring, luxury touring? Do you like naked bikes or full fairing bikes? So many choices!!!

My neighborhood dodged the bullet with the storm. There's a lot of talk now that it was over-hyped to begin with. From what I saw some sections of low lying area near NYC were hit hard but, where I live, it was no worse than a Nor'easter.

As for bikes, I prefer an upright riding position and I often carry a bunch of stuff on my daily commute (knapsack, laptop, camera) so something with pannies. I really want to get onto some (mellow) trails, such as carriage roads, to add a little backcountry element to my riding and add some variety. That will require some new skills, which I'm looking forward to acquiring. "Best case" endpoint would be something capable of taking me camping. So I'm leaning toward a GS.

OTOH, the RT bikes look nice too and I imagine they add a comfort factor not necessarily possible on a GS......but I'm just guessing since I haven't had an opportunity to ride either style.

In NY it's next to impossible to test ride unless you have your checkbook out,ready to go. In fact my local BMW dealer doesn't participate in the test ride program. I tend to over-research major purchases, so I'm a bit aways from a test ride, I think.

Welcome aboard! I'm in the Seaford area and ride my RT and KLR650 often although upstate is better to ride than here. So you are considering an RT or GS? Both are good bikes and if you are taller, the GS would be a good choice. Mine is an 02 1150 RT and working on it is not that big a deal but is always prelude with the ritual removal of the tupperware, which is a little time consuming. Anyway, there is a mountain of info and friends here at the MOA so enjoy!

Back