• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member From Northern Virginia

HBHaller

Hello all, let me introduce myself. After a 20 year hiatus, I got back to riding motorcycles again a couple of years ago. I grew up in Southern California and learned to ride dirt bikes in the deserts at about 10 years old (it doesn't hurt as much when you crash in the dirt)....some street riding in college, but then graduate school, jobs, marriage, two kids, but no bike. Seems a common theme. Anyway, the kids are older now so a couple of years ago I bought a 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE. Great little bike. I've always loved Triumphs.

On our last weekend touring trip this past March, Mrs Junipero said, "Your bike's kind of small." My eyes lit up, I wasn't offended at all, brain started clattering because I've had a brochure of the new RTs on my nightstand for about a year. I've always loved boxer twin BMW motorbikes too! My father comes out to visit from Arizona last week---good excuse to head to the BMW dealer, and BAM...I walk out of the dealership the owner of a new 2011 BMW R1200RT. Happy Days!

Both my kids (daughter, 14 & son, 11) and my wife love to ride with me and I do lots of motorcycle camping, solo or with a buddy or two. The RT is going to make a great comfortable touring bike, but surprisingly the Bonneville is fantastic and fun as well. These two motorcycles compliment each other well, in my opinion. I commute to work nearly everyday by motorcycle too, into Washington DC--about 45 miles round trip so the miles are starting to rack up.

I am a pretty handy wrench. I do a lot of work on my old Porsche, all the maintenance and repair on the Bonnie, and I'm looking forward to wrenching on the BMW too...but from what I can tell, that may not need to be too often!

I look forward to conversing with you all on this forum. Here is a picture of my RT:

Attachments

• 2011 R1200RT.jpg
    2011 R1200RT.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 46
Welcome Junipero, that is a very nice bike. I hope to own one some day. I think you are right. The Triumph and RT compliment each other well. Very different bikes, but each one fun in its own way. I like the classic looks of your Bonneville. You will find the RT to be a great touring bike. Where did you buy the RT?

Commuting into DC? I don't know whether to think you are crazy or admire your motorcycling skills. :) I imagine you have some company on those commutes. Enjoy that RT...great bike.

Thanks bluehole. I bought the RT at Morton's in Fredericksburg. It was either that or Bob's in MD. Nice folks at Morton's

The commute into DC isn't so bad. HOV lanes most of the way. The Bonneville is great for commuting. Small and nimble. Though the roads can be terrible. I had to recently change out the steering head bearings after only 20K miles!

I'm planning to take a tour of New England in August on the RT. Can't wait!

I took my RT the Morton's and have taken my RS there. Not cheap, but I have never had a problem with their work. Like you said, good people. I forgot about the HOV lanes. I am sure that makes an enormous difference.

I have family in Massachusetts and have considered touring New England. Touring would be great. It is getting there I dread. Hard not to go I95 and that isn't fun. I guess it is the price to pay for a nice tour.

Yes, I figure not much on BMW service will be cheap! Hopefully I can deal with most maintenance/minor repair issues myself as I have on my Triumph (though I am taking her in for the run in service in a couple of weeks).

As for I-95 north to New England! No way. I've travelled by car enough on that highway. Terrible.

My wife's family lives in Rhode Island. She and the kids spend about a month up there every summer (which gives me the chance to tour around by motorcycle!).

I will join them for a few days, pick up my wife and ride somewhere nice for our 15th anniversary. BUT, I will head north through PA and NY then cut over through MA. Take a couple of days to get there and camp out along the way.

Cheers,

Hi Junipero! If you're interested in some company while you spin wrenches, come check us out at http://www.bmwbmw.org. We typically have Tech Day once a month or so, kinda rotating around the NoVa/MD area.

Back