• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Helmet

rick85739

Getting about time to replace my 5+ year old NeoTec. I've been thinking about the new Schuberths - the E1 or C4. Has anyone gotten one of these? What do you think of them? Also wondering about the comm systems that can bought for these helmets. I'm told the E1 is a re-worked C3 Pro, but the C4 is a new design. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

New C4

I bit the bullet and purchase a new C4 at Bob's BMW in Jessup,MD. Muy expensivo, but it fit my head better than most. Ventilation is excellent and noise "seems" less. I like the integrated sun visor. I have not considered adding sound, but I'm sure it would be accommodating.

Hope this helps.

-V

I purchased a C4 from Max BMW last week. So far my impressions are:

1) The face shield opening is much larger than on the C3. I can even see the instrument cluster on my KTM Duke 390 without tilting my head forward. The side visibility is much better as well.
2) Venting is definitely better, but still not a strong point. I don't have to open the face shield a notch at every traffic light, but I often do. I always had to open it with the C3. I haven't tried the C4 without the chin bar's triangular cloth seal. I took the triangle out of my C3 immediately since it made the helmet feel claustrophobic and stuffy. I expect if I removed that triangle from the C4, it would ventilate even better.
3) Much more space between the chin bar and my face. The C3 was a very close fit.
4) For me at least, the fit on my cheeks and around my ears is better. On my early C3, there was always some pressure on both. I have size large in both helmets.
5) I'm haven't made my mind up on the noise control yet. On my R1200R with a Wunderlich sport fairing/tall windshield and without earplugs, there seems to be a bit more wind noise than the C3, although with earplugs in, it seems quieter than the C3 with ear plugs. Mechanical noises are still well damped. When riding the KTM, with a National Cycle "Deflector" shield and no earplugs, the C4 seems quieter than the C3 in the same circumstances. This may be one of those YMMV items based on the characteristics of the bike.
6) The liner materials are nicer than on my early C3 and the chin bar locking mechanism seems sturdier.

I haven't purchased the comm system yet so I have no comments on that.

I recently replaced my 5+ year old Shoes Neotec. After careful research and a test fit I purchased a Scorpion EXO AT-950. Helmet feels a bit lighter than the Neotec, SMH-10S fits and operates as you would expect with no modifications needed and all the features of this helmet are similar to the Neotec.

After about 4 months and about 2,000 miles I have no regrets. At this price point, there is not a better modular helmet. I would even put this up against similar type helmets costing twice as much.

I have used this helmet on a naked bike, Yamaha FZ-07, as well as a 2016 RT and helmet performed extremely well on both bikes. Just returned from a 800 mile ride in the southwest where I encountered temps ranging from 45 degrees F to 114 degrees and I had no issues.

I too recently go the Scorpion AT helment and have been very pleased with it. It feels lighter than my Neotec and the peak doesn't cause any issues. I can even stand at hyway speeds without a problem on my GSA. No problems using my Sena 20s with it either. There is a little bit more wind noise, but I ride with z-plugs on long trips anyways.

I really like my Shuberth E1. My wife loves her C3 Pro. Helmets vent well and very little buffet if at all. We use the sena 10U for communications which is fine for what we use it for.

Back