• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New '12 RT 1200 Owner First Impressions

BenDiem

Greetings all,

On 4/11/12, I received the long awaited phone call from my friendly Sales Advisor, who informed me that my brand-new, 2012 - R 1200 RT arrived at my chosen BMW dealership. I picked up the bike on Friday, 4/13/12.

By way of brief background, I ordered my bike on 01/13/2012, and picked it up, three months later, to the day. The bike took just two days shy of 90 days from order to delivery.

I ordered the following options: Midnight Blue, Heated Seats/Grips; OBC, Extra Accessory Socket, Chrome Exhaust, Cruise, Standard Suspension/Seat.

My first impression was that the color is beautiful. There is a beautiful green hue in the metallic paint. It is lighter than the dark blue found on the new K1600 series.

The entire process took less than one hour from meeting my Sales Associate, to finishing up w/the Finance Manager/Sales Manager. Quick and easy!

My Sales Associate took me through the introduction of the bike's nuances and options/features, and then the highly anticipated moment arrived... I hopped on the bike, and headed east towards Ohio.

Heading home, I did not baby the bike, but I did not abuse it either. I got on the highway and as Hopz eloquently says, I did the Eyetalian break-in. I stayed below 5500 RPMS though, and let the engine compression break speed...

The first hour ride was comfortable. During the second hour, my arse started feeling a little uncomfortable. The OEM seat is just too narrow, and just too soft! I did not expect a soft seat on a German bike. Heck, their car seats are firm, just the way I like it. A new seat will be in the cards, soonest.

My only complaints/gripes follow:
I did not expect to lean forward as much as I do. The OEM seat seems to push my privates into the gas tank, and I feel as though my body tends to lean into the gas tank. I have to re-position myself at times, just to give my privates a rest, lol.
The windscreen provides little comfort. I was surprised at this! I recall my Sales Assoc mentioning that the windshield is more for the passenger's comfort... I expected a nice pocket of calmness, but the OEM windshield, even in the highest setting, caused my helmet to get hit with bug guts. I thought this was an anomaly, considering the improvements to the OEM windshield, post the 2010 MY RT, but when I rode the bike without a helmet on Sunday, I lost my sun glasses. Granted, it was windy yesterday (Sunday).
I will consider bar risers and a peg lowering kit with forward mounted leg rests in the future. I'm about 5'-11 1/2"/215# with long arms (34 1/2") and 32" leg inseam. I love mechanical noises, and as a result, I will be on the look out for a choice sounding aftermarket exhaust slip on. I can't help it, I just love ear candy!

I was surprised that the bike only requires 89 octane. My Sales Assoc informed me that 92/93 can cause the gas lines to warp, due to extra detergents and alcohol added...(I think that is what he said?) Sure enough, the gas tank indicates fuel requirement: 89 octane...

Comparo to my 2010 H-D FLHX - Street Glide:
I was invited to go along a motorcycle ride yesterday morning (Sunday). I opted for the H-D, knowing it might be a long day in the saddle. Long & short, the ride was over 200 miles, and frankly, I'm glad I went w/my the H-D. In essence, these two bikes can't be anymore different. Different tools for different jobs. Mind you, I have my Street Glide built as an Ultra, w/all the lowers, comfort seat, large windshield, backrest, Enhanced Stereo, 2>1 performance exhaust,
Big Bore Kit w/Cams, etc...
To draw an analogy, the BMW is a fine German sports sedan (5 Series BMW) and the H-D, is like a four door, F150 Ford Truck w/all the bells and whistles.
If I had to choose one bike over the other, it would be a difficult decision. They are that different. I'm fortunate to have both. When I feel frisky, I'll take the RT, when I feel like putzing along, I'll take the Street Glide.
You can sense the enormous difference in wet weight, amongst the two. The BMW is soooo light in comparo. It is also considerably taller too! Again, they can't be more different. It is unfair to even compare these two bikes.
I love the cornering clearance of the BMW. I prefer the BMW over the H-D in the twisties. I also appreciate the overall superior performance the RT has over the H-D. Not even close! In the end, absolutely no regrets. I love my BMW!
So, there you have have it; my humble observations...

I'll advise the BMW LT Forum that this thread will be posted here...

Cheers/Auf Wiedersehen,

Bennie B. :wave:german:bikes

I was thinking in bigger percentages than 100....

Congrats Bennie. You have a fine steed there.

Word of advise. Might be worth what you pay for it. Consider a replacement windshield along with the seat. I'm a bit surprised that the seat is pushing you forward though. You might check to verify it's in the correct locators both front and back for the seat height.

As to the windshield, I own and recommend the Cal-Sci windshield. I am indeed in pocket if air when I have it lifted about halfway. It's cut to my height. They have a number of options available but the screens really do a good job. There are others, I've tried the ZTechnic and hated it. Cee Bailly also has a good following.

Do the seat and screen first, then consider whether you need to risers.

Stock seats push a lot of folks forward including me. Can be exacerbated by wearing stuff that doesn't grip the seat well- but then I prefer stuff thats not too "sticky" so I can move around the bike more easily.

Nice that the new ones are intended for less expensive fuel but yes, 100%+ BS on using premium- won't do anything notable one way or another. (Saw something yesterday I never expected to see again in my lifetime- diesel fuel cheaper than premium gasaoline here in NC by $.04/gal!)

Both the seat and windshield complaints are normal- if BMW actually cared much about customer reaction these would have been dealt with years ago. Steve- I own both the Z-Technic and Cal Sci screens and prefer the former by a bit (partly due to it being a better material) and noticed some obvious differences between them but not enough to call either one unacceptable. What did you find so objectionable in the Z-Technik? (to me it a bit less rigid and the profile allows more air past it closer to bar level but it also has a bit less wind reistance in buffeting situations and is not as easily scratched)

At the OPs height, lowered pegs are likely to be a very useful accessory- maybe even a set of the Ilium forward pegs given that he's used to a Harley. And any of the common barbacks will solve the forward lean issue given his arm length.

I was surprised that the bike only requires 89 octane. My Sales Assoc informed me that 92/93 can cause the gas lines to warp, due to extra detergents and alcohol added...(I think that is what he said?) Sure enough, the gas tank indicates fuel requirement: 89 octane...

Bennie B. :wave:german:bikes

Congrats on the new bike. It may take a bit of time to get better acquainted with everything that the R1200RT brings to the table.

On a separate note, what is this about 92/93 octane causing gas lines to warp? If there's any truth to that, I'm in trouble as 95 octane appears to be the lowest in Germany. If I'm not mistaken, DOHC should advance or retard the valve timing to correspond to the fuel octane. I'm hoping this is correct.:scratch

"...92/93 can cause gas lines to warp..." :rofl

Also, if you don't use BMW oil your dipstick will fall off.

Jeesh, this guy actually works at a BMW dealer?

pete

+1 to however many people have called BS on this already. The BMW Motorrad website even says "unleaded super or premium." For the few cents difference, I would run premium whenever possible.

Congrats on the new purchase too. I often thought the same things regarding the seat comfort (or lack thereof) and the windshield, but understand that manufacturers sometimes need to build their products to fit a wide range of people too. There are a lot of good seat/windshield combos out there, some of which have already been mentioned. The seat maker that hasn't been mentioned yet is Russell, which I would recommend.

Both the seat and windshield complaints are normal- if BMW actually cared much about customer reaction these would have been dealt with years ago.

I think both are perfect for me.

Probably for lots of others, too.

But, this sort of thing keeps the aftermarket going and of course it is all about adding one's own touch.

BMW is ZERO at fault for any of it.

I think the folks adding aftermarket stuff are nuts.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that we are all nuts that add aftermarket items. We each have a different reaction to the ergonomics of the bike. I got my RT in October 2011 and love the bike. But I agree that the seat pushes me forward into the tank and I find myself trying to push myself back onto the passenger seat. You can't say that we are imaging that effect because it is real. Now as for the windshield it works just fine for me and I have no complaints. So we each have a different fit on the bike.

I just purchased an 08 Rt the stock hurts the boys after just a short ride. Ordered a Russel. Always a Corbin fan but so many recommended a Russel I thought why not. The shield is ok but not perfect I thought I'd give it a few thousand miles to find the sweet spot at various speeds. As I mentioned earlier in posts the ABS is driving me crazy but I'll give it time to sink into my muddled brain. All BMW seats are not good!!!

3 basic improvements noted on most R1200RT's I spot (including mine):

After market seat (I have a Sargent).

Taller, wider windshield (I have a Cee Bailey - don't forget better shield struts!!!).

Handlebar risers to improve your ergonomics.

Good Luck and enjoy the new bike! :german

I ordered a low BMW seat on my 2011 R1200RT out the door. That seat was uncomfortable, so I replaced it with a Corbin. The Corbin may have a k on it, if that, but felt fine after a 2-hour ride last weekend. It's been ok for a couple of all-day rides; not great, but ok. Supposedly, a Corbin needs about 2k to really break in, and, based on the results so far, I'm optimistic.

As far as after-market stuff goes, I tweak my bikes to suit myself. A perfectly stock bike suits some, but not all. That's why there's an after market.

i also have a harley and a bmw

and concur with your comments.
i would add that i might feel more comfortable on an extended trip with the harley only because of the dealer network. the harley has tubes so a flat would be a bigger PITA.
the weight (700 lbs. vs 500 lbs) contributes to stability on the interstate.
both are quite comfortable. the hog with the original seat and the bmw with a corbin.

6507805211_7a276441d3_b.jpg

6757055499_7a7b7a0314_b.jpg

the harley may be a bit more photogenic.
:)
6939553776_b4eb54ed32_c.jpg

Last edited:
And I also ride H/D & BMW

04R1150R & 01FLTR; both can be set up for the ride at hand; with limits.
And both have advantages in different areas.
Dont take a knife to a gun fight! :nono
"Breathing is easy... living takes effort."

Congrats on your new bike.. I too changed the seat and the windshield. (Corbin heated leather and Cal-Sci)

I will say.. you need to put more miles on the bike.. coming off a cruiser like you I was told it will take you 1000 miles to really get comfortable on the bike. I think that was very good advice (I thought I was "comfortable" after 200 hundred miles...) but the more I rode mine, the larger and larger the grin got.. to the point where I would NEVER consider riding the cruiser anymore.. it was sold!

Just no comparison..... a bike that works... vs. "excuses"...

I know.. "different strokes for different folks"... but I'd be very curious a year from now what your riding and what is sold or gathering "dust"...

...and I'm certainly not the only one that "experienced" this. IMHO ;-)

Lets face it, it is pretty common for someone used to a Harley to jump on a BMW, go for a ride and then say they like the Harley better. We all get used to what we ride and when we change vehicles our impressions change. Once more time is spent on a "new" bike we become more familiar with it and eventually it is like an old pair of boots. I would definetly spend more time in the saddle before making any changes though.

Rick H.

re:"Lets face it, it is pretty common for someone used to a Harley to jump on a BMW,

and visa versa

Words from the Wise: give it some time

Like others have said before you need to give it some time getting into the RT.

I came off a 2010 FLHX Street Glide and love riding the RT, but a lot of subtleties of the bike take awhile to be noticed. Of course the obvious stuff like light and responsive steering, great brakes, suspension that works, etc. will jump right out at you.

Give it time, it will grow on you. Be patient. Like they tell us these bikes take a long time to "run in" so don't get turned off right off the bat. Heck, I'm still figuring out the best technique for smooth shifting but I just think it's learning a new skill.

Aloha,
Huladog

got mine too

I walked into a dealer in Tulsa last Friday and rode out with a new 2012 R1200 RT. I've ridden it a little less than a thousand miles so far and am really liking it. I have a Harley Ultra Limited but I'll probably be selling it soon. To me, it may not be as comfy yet but the responsiveness, cornering, and lighter weight have already got me sold. I may miss the Electracouch if I sell it but I think I'm really going to like putting a lot of miles on the new BMW.

Back