• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My POA Tour Route

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
Here is much of the plan, if you locals could give me a push here and there, or tell me a road is closed it would be much appreciated. These are loosly made and we are not on a daily schedule to be somewhere for each night.

Peaks of America Tour Route (July 6 ÔÇô 30, 2006)

Day 1 (Thursday July 6, 2006)
WA 7 South (w/ alternate plan through Mount Rainier NP depending on whether Hwy 706 is open to WA 123 South to Hwy 12)
WA 12 East (Yakima, WA) to I-82 South to I-182 (Richland, WA)
WA 124 East (Burbank to Waitsburg, WA)
US 12 North and East to Lewiston,WA

Camp in Hells Gate SP (Maybe)

Day 2 (Friday July 7) (Two Options Depending Local Advice) (Might be days 2 and 3)
Snake River Road South (This may be an Improved Dirt Road?) or,
WA 129 South to OR 3 South to (Enterprise, OR) then OR 82 East to Imnaha (HellÔÇÖs Canyon NRA)
Most of the day will be spent exploring HellÔÇÖs Canyon with planned trip to Hat Point and POIs in the Park.
Ultimately exiting the Park on Hess Road South, Idaho Power Road to Oxbow, OR
OR 71 South (Along Oxbow Reservoir) Cross in to Idaho and continue on Hwy 71 to (Cambridge, ID)
US 95 East to Indian Valley Road (Near Messa) then South becoming Four Mile Road and finally Van Duessen Road to ID 52 (Emmett, ID)
ID 16 South to Beacon Light Road East a right and a left and a few more turns until of State Street into Boise, ID

Day 3-4 (BMW RA Rally Sat-Sun July 8-9)

Day 5 (High-speed Day Time vs Distance)
I-84 Southeast to I-15 South (Via Twin Falls, ID)
I-15 South to near St. George

Long day motel with a hot bath and a comfy bed

Day 6-7-8 (Tuesday - Thursday July 11 - 13)
UT 9 East (POIs Zion NP) to Mt. Carmel Junction
US 89 North (Hillsdale, UT)
UT 12 East (RubyÔÇÖs Inn, Bryce Canyon NP, Escalante, Bolder UT and North to Torrey, UT)
UT 24 East (Capital Reef NP) to Hanksville
UT 95 South (Glen Canyon NAR / Lake Powell, Natural Bridges NatÔÇÖl Monument)
US 191 North to Monticello, UT

No plans for stops, Camp, Motel, visual stimulation will dictate pace.

Day 9-10-11 (Top of the Rockies BMW Rally) (Friday ÔÇô Sunday July 14 - 16)
CO 141 North (Egnar, CO) to (Naturita, CO)
CO 90 North to Montrose, CO
US 50 East to Blue Mesa Reservoir
CO 92 North to Hotchkiss, CO
Cr.-J. 75 North to Paonia, CO

Camp/Motel? (Saturday Night Only (When we get there? When we leave?)

CO 133 North to Carbondale, CO
CO 82 South to Balltown, CO
US 24 East to Florissant Fossil Beds NatÔÇÖl Monument

(Maybe a detour up Cripple Creek Road to Victor and back around CO 67 to US 24)

US 24 East to Pikes Peak Highway and up the Mountain.

Day 11 (I plan to be in/around Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak)

Plan to spend the night at Fort Carson, my second US Duty Station BEQ

Day 12 (High-speed day #2)
CO 94 East to (Aroya, KS)
US 40 West (Kit Carson, KS and onward to Oakley, KS)
I-70 East to (Fort Riley, KS my first Duty Station in the Army)

Plan on spending the night here in BEQ

Day 13 (High-speed day #3)
KS 18 and US 24 East to Lawrence, KS (DoesnÔÇÖt somebody live in Lawrence?)
I-70 East to Saint Louis and the BMW MOA HeadquartersÔÇÖ (and the Arch of course)

East until we get tired Motel time for sure. (Maybe Effingham, IN)

Day 14 (Wednesday, July 19) (Memorial Detour YB in IN)
I-70 East to Terre Haute
IN 46 South to Bloomington, IN
IN 37 North through Indianapolis, IN to IN 13 North to Wabash, IN

(Anybody home?)

Stop by GarthÔÇÖs Grave (Because after all this tour is in his memory)

Day 15 (Needs to be a quick day itÔÇÖll be long for sure)
US 24 East and North up through Fort Wayne
I-69 North to I-80 to I-90 (Cleveland, OH) to I-190 (Buffalo, NY)

Maybe detour to Niagara Falls (Depends on a lot of things, time being one of them)

Day 16 (Friday, July 21)
I-90 East to (Utica, NY) (MapQuest is routing me south to NY Hwy 5 East from Canastota to Utica?)
NY 12 North to NY 8 (Chester Township, VT)
US 9 North to VT 74 East to Corduroy Road North to Crown Point Township
VT 9N to Lake Road
Lake Road to VT 903 to VT 17 North (Still Lake Road)
Right on Panton Road to Monkton
Monkton Road North to Silver Road North (VT 116)
2A North to Essex Junction

There I plan get a hot meal, a shower, and have a darned cold beer with someone or two or more.

Day 17-18 (Saturday-Sunday July 22 ÔÇô 23, BMW MOA Rally)

After that IÔÇÖve got one week to get home, wife will probably be on an airplane, so I donÔÇÖt know yet what IÔÇÖll have left.

Last edited:
That was long post I wasn't sure it would all fit.

As I sat down and went road by road and day be day, I realized there was no way I was turning Southeast In Kansas City and going to Graceland and over to Tellico and up the BRP/SLD and so forth to VT. Desire was writing checks my arse (and surly my wife's arse) can't cash.

It will be long enough.

I'll try and get some maps posted soon so you can visualize this better, but I thought I'd get it out there and the more local 'State' guys/gals can provide some road tips.

There will be long two-up days, but I've tried to keep the hard days to less than 600 miles, and the more scenic days to about 250-300. We're still pushing alot so that we can see a lot along the way.

It should be interesting!!! :lurk

Doc

SFDOC said:
UT 12 East (RubyÔÇÖs Inn, Bryce Canyon NP, Escalante, Bolder UT and North to Torrey, UT)
UT 24 East (Capital Reef NP) to Hanksville
UT 95 South (Glen Canyon NAR / Lake Powell, Natural Bridges NatÔÇÖl Monument)
US 191 North to Monticello, UT

No plans for stops, Camp, Motel, visual stimulation will dictate pace.

Couple of things for this area: There is a very new Comfort Inn at Torrey that is perfect for motorcycles in that the parking is right outside your room door. Super clean and quite if you're in Torrey for the evening.

For breakfast or lunch in Boulder, just south the main restaurant there on Route 12, there is a tiny sign that says "Restaurant" with an arrow pointing east on a small road. Turn there and it's like a 100 yards from route 12. Family owned and super nice people with good food and low prices called the Boulder Mesa. Keep in mind the town of Boulder is like one block long so you can find it for sure. Also ran into a bunch of cows just wandering and hanging out on Route 12 just south of Torrey. Not literally "ran into the cows", but had to slow to a crawl to avoid cow problems.

Good luck on your trip. Those are great roads you're taking.

Attachments

• boulder.JPG
    boulder.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 551
Thanks Randy, that's the kind of BTDT local or familiar advise I'm looking for. :eat

Everything is subject to change on a daily basis, "No Plan Survives First Contact", but I have a plan to change from! :D

The one thing I don't want this trip to be is a 'Dead Line' or must get there becuase of a 'reservation'.

The Rally's will be fun, but (we) don't need to hang around just to be hangin' around. Wrist band, meet a few new people and on our way to MOA Rally.

What is it they say, it's not the destination, but the journey getting there. Well, this is going to be quite a 'Journey'. :nod

I haven't even got to the 'Packing List' yet? :doh

At least there is going to be a one-week shake-down trip two-up, in British Columbia with the ADVrider guys/gals. B.C. Big Trailie Ride That should be a lot of fun, and give us (me) an idea of what the Mrs. can tolerate. So far her longest day has been 13-hours of which over nine of those were in the saddle. She does seven-hours pretty well, but I don't know how back to back to back days are going to go? :lurk

Doc

Just remember Randy's Rule for riding in southern Utah or Nevada and that is:
If you see gas, buy it. If you're on Hwy 95 in Hanksville, put on fuel cause you won't see any all the way to Blanding. That road is just awesome!! Great surface, wide, and you may not see a car in either direction for 30 minutes at a time.

Attachments

• hwy 95.JPG
    hwy 95.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 528
Jeez. My long trip itineraries are usually something like:

1 - wake up
2 - get on bike
3 - go <insert directional variant here>
4 - repeat until destination is reached in x days
5 - disassembly is the reverse of assembly

KBasa said:

1 - wake up
2 - get on bike

:ha

You silly rabbit, trix are for kids!

Sorry, I'm a plus or minus 2-minute guy, anything earlier than two-minutes may compromise the pick-up location, anything later than two-minutes means they've been there and left without you.

This was allot easier than planning a 10-day operation in the woods with specific target data to collect or destroy, an infil plan, movement plan, exfil plan, and all the minute details that lay in-between. Plus a communications plan, medical evacuation plan, plan to deal with unexpected encounters of every type, who does what, who carries what, who's carrying back-up to who's carrying what. Oh, and then there's the alternate plan, the contingency plan, and the emergency plan for each of those should everthing change once boots hit the ground and everything goes to hell.

MapQuest made planning the route easy, I selected stay off highways for some of it, and said start here - end there.

Other than that I'm doing exactly what you are suggesting... :D

Wake up, go, stop, repeat.

Dave when disassemble and reassemble, do you ever have extra parts left over in the nut and bolt bin? :stick

Packing List

I don't know if this will help or you guys/gals will think I'm a little too detailed, but this is a big trip and Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. But here is my initial packing list for the POA Tour, four-weeks of going ocean to ocean and back again. This is summer planning, but going through planned Highs of 100+ to Lows of ~50 (High Mountains very high mountains)

POA Packing list:

Necessary Items:

Tools: Tire Plugger Kit, Pump, Tire-gauge, Valve adjustment tools, Spark-plugs, Gaskets, Duct Tape, Vinyl Tape, JB-Weld, Zip-Ties, Hand Tools as required, Extra Headlight Bulb H-1, Tail-light Bulb 1157, Turn-Signal Bulb 11?? , Fuses, PIAA Light x1, Safety Wire, Multi-meter,

His/Her Clothes: 1-pr Cargo-Pants/Jeans, 2-pr socks, 2-ea T-Shirts, 1-ea Button-Shirt, 2-pr Shorts, 1-pr Shower-shoes, 1-pr Walking-shoes, Belt, Ball Cap, Lightweight Jacket/Vest (Female items as needed)

His/Her Riding Gear: Helmet, Gloves (light/heavy/waterproof), Mesh Pants w/ liner, Mesh Jacket w/liner, Boots, 2-pr Poly-Boot socks, 2-pr Synthetic Shorts, 2-ea Synthetic Undershirt, Electric Jacket w/controller, Sun Glasses, Ear Plugs

Shared Personal Hygiene Items: Shampoo, Tooth-Paste/Brush-each, Hair Brush, Bath Towel x2, (Female items as needed)

First Aid Kit, Registration, Road Flares, Flashlight, Head-Light, Camel-Back, Mosquito Repellent

Electronics: Camera Digital and Video (Extra Batteries, Extra Tape, Extra Memory Cards), Chargers, Binoculars, Mini-Tripod, Cell Phone w/extra battery (in pocket) Charger, Communications Equipment w/extra battery and Charger, Hand-held, GPS (Quest mounted, E-Trex in pocket) Lap Top Computer w/charger and GPS USB cable

Sleeping Stuff: Tent, Sleeping Mats x2, Camo Tarp w/bungies, Poncho liner x2, Stuff-Sacks as needed. Jungle Hammocks x2

Identification: Passports/Green Card, Credit/Gas Cards, Drivers License, Cash $500.00 (separate and stored on bike w/extra credit card)

Extra Complete Set of keys in wifeÔÇÖs Jacket (extra ignition/pannier keys on bike)
Cable Lock, Wheel Lock
Gas Bottles x2
Engine Oil 1-qt
Plexus Cleaner, Clean Microfiber-Towel
Map Book/Log Book
CycleFoot
Waterproof Bags
Bungies, Bungy Net, Straps
Fire Starters, Lighter
Hatchet/Knife
Extra ÔÇÿAAÔÇÖ Batteries
Parachute Cord (Rope)

1st Optional List:

Sleeping bag x1
MSR Cook Stove w/gas bottle
Cook Wear, Steel cups, Spoon
Coffee, Tea,
Nalgene Water Bottles
Dry Food
Camp Food

Bike Cover

2nd Optional List:

Lantern w/extra mantle
Sleeping bag x1
Mini Cooler or Foldable Cool pack
35mm Film Camera (Waterproof)
Folding Chairs

We'll see what works during the shake-down ride to BC in June

Last edited:
Packing list

WOW. Nice list - but it looks like you will be about 1,000# over when you leave home. There is a good thread about what to bring with you on a trip over in the clubhouse section. Maybe some good ideas there.

I'm gonna be real close to gross 1014# (Bike included) but it's nothing more than I've been through before. Except adding the wife. TG she only weighs 105#

During this trip last year I got on a digital truck scale after filling up with gas 440kg (968lb). That was a planned for solo Fall/Wet weather trip so I had some bulkier heavier items on board.

33523820-M.jpg

That list isn't that 'heavy'

This 'Fungal Ride' trip was quite light even though it looks heavy. Coolers make a perfect waterproof crash resistant container if you have the space.

73077509-M.jpg

This was us in two-up configuartion coming back from the Spokane Rally (No camping gear)

73141199-M.jpg

Bike ~ 570#
Me ~ 200#
Wife ~ 110#

Gives me 134# to work with for everything else. And no I'm not trying to max it out, as it gets loaded and everything gets weighed the list will change to suit.

Doc

KBasa said:

1 - wake up
2 - get on bike

Deep thinking and detailed planning. This is why you are the
Poobah.

Packing list

Doc - I'm impressed. You are the master of planning. An extra 105 lbs is no problem. I may have some route recommendations once you pass through Syracuse. It will depend on road construction in the Adirondaks. I'll let you know as we get closer to your departure date.

SFDOC said:
We'll see what works during the shake-down ride to BC in June

Add a Camelback for sure. If riding two up you can keep it on your back and the bite tube can easily be reached and used by your wife as well. No matter what, you'll both have ice cold water the whole trip. The constant wind will dehydrate you out there. This might even help you leave the big cooler at home and free up room and weight.

Bring the bike cover for sure. Even on a dry night you typically end up with morning dew all over the bike and saddles by morning. Then there's those times when you go to sleep on a clear night and it's raining when you wake up.

Just my 2?ó

CamelBack is on there at the end of First Aid Kit and other Emergency Items.

I'm not bringing the big cooler on this one, takes up too much space. I have a little Igloo (lunchbox size) and a collapsible 6-pack cooler, either or none.

Bike cover or just use my lightweight tarp.

The items on Optional Lists are optional items if space and weight are not issues, it's not like I pack Optional List #1 it's just those items have a higher priority than list number #2

I think in the end there will be less is more as result of the BC trip and weather predictions for the month of July. If it looks like we'll be chasing and running from rain storms the whole way, my clothing list for ride gear will dictate.

Dataman, planning yeah, that's what I do or at least did. I am master of 'Understanding Chaos' and developing a plan to counter it.

Signed, "Ultimate Boy Scout"
73217958-S.jpg

Maps

Here is the maps that go along with the itinerary:

The big picture
74479630-M.jpg

Western Half
74479815-M.jpg

Eastern Half
74479556-M.jpg

Western Detail
74479724-M.jpg

Central Detail
74479269-M.jpg

Eastern Detail
74479416-M.jpg

2 Up on GS

Doc - how do you find the GS for 2-up riding? Specifically is your wife comofrtable as a passenger? Does she use/need a backrest? Do you use an intercom, etc.

dataman said:
Doc - how do you find the GS for 2-up riding? Specifically is your wife comofrtable as a passenger? Does she use/need a backrest? Do you use an intercom, etc.

Jim, I find it to be very comfortable, it's the biggest bike I've ever had, so there is plenty of room. We had to make changes from stock but all of them have been for the better. Rocky Mayer hand crafted a saddle for her and I bought a BestRest (Sport) Backrest that make her more comfy and secure feeling.

She always went to sleep on me (not that she'd fall sideways or anything but,) I'd have to make sure she was awake if the need to pass someone in a hurry came up. She sleeps less often with the new seat (like almost never now), and says her legs feel better during and after a ride together. So the stock pillion seat was a narcolepsy button.

I've used the backrest myself on a long solo ride (you can move it forward on the bike) it's nice. But on my short commute days it's more of a pain to swing a leg over and beats your back up on the bumps.

We have a ChatterBox GRMS-X1 (helmet mounted) that keeps us connected and listening to music. It's not used all the time, but we'll have it for this trip.

We're probably going shopping for her to get some hot weather riding gear, pants at least, her HT-Overpants came with a fixed-in liner, she won't let me spend to much money on her, because it's not one of the things we do together all that much, but maybe that will change as time goes on.

Hope that answered your questions

Doc

Back