• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My New to me BMW R1100RS pics!

I was able snatch this up off eBay last week. I flew for the first time from North Carolina, and drove it home. Knowing it was a 20 year old bike but maintained properly to 85,000 miles. I took the chance, to drive it all the way back nearly 1,267 miles. It was flawless! And I love it. My first BMW bike.

Really nice photos of a great condition bike.

You rode it 1267 from North Carolina to where?

In the early days of the R1100RS technical info was scarce. A number of early owners compiled a series of tips for servicing the bike. This was also when the internet was rapidly growing and the Internet BMW Riders (IBMWR) was started - all members were given the title of "president". Now the IBMWR site is a good place to buy stuff and find technical info compiled by previous owners. The R11xx manual is a recommended download. The link is here -

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

Really nice photos of a great condition bike.

You rode it 1267 from North Carolina to where?

I drove from TX to NC. It was a nice ride back. It took me about 24 hours straight including stopping, eating, taking breaks. No sleep though! I left my bank card at home, and only had cash. And I couldn't find a hotel, or motel to work with me lol.

The worst thing was I left TX at bedtime about 11PM, then drove 24 hours straight. So I was exhausted on the way back.

It's good to be back home in NC though.

I appreciate all the input, and help everybody!

...I stopped once to check oil. And it was perfect...

on that subject,
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...much-oil-what-to-do/page2&p=727818#post727818

I get my most consistent oil level readings by parking it on the side stand for at least 15 minutes when it is hot, putting it on the center stand over night and then checking the oil level when I check my tire pressures before the next ride. 5 minutes on the side stand and a few more on the center stand is enough to get me in the ballpark.

They have a few quirks, but wonderful bikes, especially for the price. If appearance is any indicator, yours looks like it has been well cared for. Put braided stainless brake lines on your sooner than later upgrade list.

on that subject,
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...much-oil-what-to-do/page2&p=727818#post727818

I get my most consistent oil level readings by parking it on the side stand for at least 15 minutes when it is hot, putting it on the center stand over night and then checking the oil level when I check my tire pressures before the next ride. 5 minutes on the side stand and a few more on the center stand is enough to get me in the ballpark.

They have a few quirks, but wonderful bikes, especially for the price. If appearance is any indicator, yours looks like it has been well cared for. Put braided stainless brake lines on your sooner than later upgrade list.

Very good points!

Do the braided stainless upgrade asap.
It is a serious safety issue.
The OE rubber lines all fail either by balloning or by deteriorating on the inside and blocking critical passages.

I drove from TX to NC. It was a nice ride back. It took me about 24 hours straight including stopping, eating, taking breaks. No sleep though! I left my bank card at home, and only had cash. And I couldn't find a hotel, or motel to work with me lol.

The worst thing was I left TX at bedtime about 11PM, then drove 24 hours straight. So I was exhausted on the way back.

It's good to be back home in NC though.

I appreciate all the input, and help everybody!

Congrats on the purchase, and it sounds as if you've just completed an undocumented IronButt ride :thumb

Very good points!

Do the braided stainless upgrade asap.
It is a serious safety issue.
The OE rubber lines all fail either by balloning or by deteriorating on the inside and blocking critical passages.

I had a "99" it had S/S lines..O/E...??

I have a 1997 R1100RS with a teeny tiny windscreen and I need help!

Tim

Hey, Tim,

Hornig in Gemany has them. http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com

1x T-r1100s-k - Touring screen clear
Price: 71,34 EUR / Total: 71,34 EUR

Shipping costs: 39,90 EUR

Total: 111,24 EUR (Paypal says $123.50 USD)

It should be here in a week or so.

An ad-on air deflector that mounts on the top edge of the screen might help, too.

Lowndes

Back