• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My mind wanders and I wonder …..

jluff

I am putting all the body bits and pieces back on my 2023RT after mounting my new Denali D3 lights, removing the original Sirius antenna, and relocating a new one to the back when my mind started to wander and wonder. I imagined a conversation in a BMW engineering meeting:

“You won’t believe how many simple body parts I made into little complicated parts. I mean for the side panel I have 2 screws with out shoulders, 3 with shoulders, 2 tabs and 2 slots. I wish I could see the face of the guy who takes this apart with out any diagrams or directions.” They toast us fools, laugh, and think what they will charge us for the pleasure of going crazy….

So I will keep at it. Doing the same thing again and again hoping for different results… It will all go back together :D

IMG_0347.jpg

BMW had it right with the dzus fasteners on the R11xx series. Then some new young engineers with itchy pencil fingers arrived and ever since, bodywork has gotten more complex without any gain in function and a huge loss in serviceability.
:banghead

Best,
DeVern

BMW had it right with the dzus fasteners on the R11xx series. Then some new young engineers with itchy pencil fingers arrived and ever since, bodywork has gotten more complex without any gain in function and a huge loss in serviceability.
:banghead

Best,
DeVern

I just removed and then re-installed the side panels on Voni's R1100RS: two (2) phillips head screws and 4 Dzus fasteners on each side. The Dzus fasteners stay in place on the panels. The two screws are one small at rear into fuel tank and one larger in front underneath into the frame. Stone headed simple. Less than a minute to take off or put on. Then BMW decided they could improve the system. :scratch

The skid plate on my GS needs to be removed for routine oil and filter changes. Although only four small bolts hold the skid plate on, removal requires three different sockets of two types to remove those bolts. Although an engineer by training and profession, I have never understood why this is so.

I see some of the newer BMWs have non-standard fasteners, so special sockets will be needed to work on them. There must be a reason for this. Is it possible BMW is trying to force owners to the dealerships for even routine maintenance? It’s OK by me, my next new bike will likely be a different brand that still publishes factory maintenance manuals.

You all need to get an ATV and see how it’s serviced. Mine has 16 grease fittings which I thought was a good idea…. Probably is. About 2.5 hours to get to all of them.
Or- maybe a Ford pickup where quite a bit of service requires lifting the cab off the frame.
OM

While in the Army I came up with the term "The Lieutenant Factor" (TLF).

The way this works is: the Lieutenant has an idea and implements it, and gets promoted. It doesn't matter that the idea is stupid, or creates 10 times the work compared with what went before, all that matters is that the idea is implemented and eventually produces a desired result.

Sounds like the BMW engineering team suffers from TLF.

I Truly Understand Your Thought Process

I am in the process of installing Denali lights, Sound Bomb, and brake lights on a 2023 R1250GSA. It's amazing how many ways they can find to stymie the customer. I do envy those nice indentations you have on the side of your R1250RT tank into which you can route your Denali wires. I need to get them under the tank, which brings me to why I appreciated your post so much.

After slowly and tedious getting through the removal of much of the plastic and various parts (with invaluable input from this group), I was feeling that I'm nearly home, at least in the removal phase of the process. However, much to your point, BMW has decided to place a plastic fastener/rivet instead of a screw or bolt in a place that is difficult to reach.

On the right side, it is placed just below the back of the fan in a deep recess. It's a plastic-headed fastener that is impossible to remove. I've tried using every tool I have, I purchased a few from Amazon, and this morning I'm headed to Harbor Freight and a few hardware stores to see if I can purchase some other tool that will let me insert something behind the plastic fastener head within this very narrow space to pull it out far enough to use pliers to fully remove it.

I'm sure the BMW engineers had a reason for changing things up like this given I've used mostly T25's or T30's bits up to this point to remove parts. But couldn't they have put a larger head on this thing instead of a flush, flat head? My installation has once again come to a halt and more than likely I'll be posting a plea for help within a few days.

Good luck with your Denali install. Having never done anything like this, I'm learning a lot, but I really want to get through this and get back on the road.

Don

I'm sure the BMW engineers had a reason for changing things up like this given I've used mostly T25's or T30's bits up to this point to remove parts. But couldn't they have put a larger head on this thing instead of a flush, flat head? My installation has once again come to a halt and more than likely I'll be posting a plea for help within a few day
Don

Am I correct in assuming that once you get the plastic bolt/rivet out, you are going to replace it with something which will permit you or a future owner to not incur the frustration that you are currently experiencing? :ha

Back