• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOTORREADS: 8 April 2009

mika

Still Wondering
506571632_przPJ-XL.jpg

Wonderlich does German bad boy for the street
motorradonline.de translated: Wunderlich BMW K13000R
Triumph has finished off the first quarter strongly, 17 units up on the same period for 2008.

8 April 2009 – Press Release

"We are particularly pleased to be in a 'positive' position, given the current economic climate," said Triumph's Marketing Manager, Mal Jarrett. "Once again our bikes in the 'Naked' segment performed extremely well, with the Street Triple at a 26.4% increase and first place in the category, the Bonneville at a 6.1% increase and second place in the category, and the Thruxton achieving a 29.2% increase and eighth place in the category. The T100 also made it into the top 10 in the category at fifth place.

"The Sprint ST was also a star performer for us, with a whopping 116.7% increase over the corresponding period in 2008, and finishing third best seller overall in the 'Sports Touring' category.

Although it's still early days, it appears that during these tough economic times customers are turning to a brand that can be trusted not only for being a reliable mount, but a brand that will retain its resale value and be around for many years to come.

motorcycle-usa.com: American Suzuki layoff workers

[url=http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2009/April/6-12/apr0809-zero-launches-electric-supermoto/?R=EPI-107440]motorcyclenews.com
: Zero launch supermoto with tourqe of a GSX-R750
Related –
Hell For Leather Magazine’s version of the announcement
Zero Supermoto

1st5ive.com: Harley-Davidson announce management shake up

439062079_Uzso4-XL.jpg

webbikeworld.com: BMW F800GS Accessories

sportrider.com: Controlling your cornering arch with the throttle

technologyreview.com: A New Type of Catalyst – The first mechanically activated catalyst might be used in self-healing materials

Need to do some industry research? Here is another source of research information for you.
businesswire.com: Global Group of Eight Industry Guide

businesswire.com: “Take this garage and shove it” – Lester Buildings shares motorhead complaints

TED | Bruce Bueno de Mesdquita – Three predictions on the future of Iran, and the mathe to back it up

dealernews.com: May is Motorcycle Safety Month

<script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/buzz.ashx?buzzId=81524&apiToken=E138700B37294DFBA31F8D381F0BDC47&trkP=&trkM=1EE7D72C-FFAF-F80B-7991-6E32E1044168" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/buzz.ashx?buzzId=81529&apiToken=7D66E8AC50C84B61B5E9692EC6BC1D7C&trkP=&trkM=E03C232A-552E-4C5A-97C3-91FBAC5A05F8" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/buzz.ashx?buzzId=81523&apiToken=C8FF1E2EA13E4522B43898508AE3EFF2&trkP=&trkM=E46C38A9-0CC6-87DB-770C-CE71DB858FF2" type="text/javascript"></script>

WOOT.com

Knjmoto.com:

2009-04-07-Fuel.jpg

Motobastards.com

2009-04-07-Practice.jpg

2009-04-08-Ya%20mon%20eh..jpg

xkcd.com: [07 April 2009]

matrix_revisited.png

Bike Candy

508134553_pHkys-L.jpg

508134577_9eJak-L.jpg

508134627_FSmyS-L.jpg

From OttoNero.com

Comments:

The silent-running electric Zero S - which costs $9950 - has a useful commuting range of 60 miles, charges in four hours from a normal socket and boasts high quality suspension including inverted forks adjustable for compression and rebound and a Fox rear shock.

The perfect communing bike?

Source

Great find Mika

Commuting seems to be the niche for the electric bike at this point. Sixty miles of range would have worked fine form me when I was a city dweller. In my current setting it could limit my explorations on my homeward ride.

With the present state of batteries the range of electric motorcycles seems limited by two things. Obviously their charged range; the second is the ability to charge them on the fly. With a claimed four hour recharge to full cycle your electric supermoto could be ridden to work, be fully charged for lunch time excursions then fully changed again for the trip home. That is if you can recharge it at work. Infrastructure for charging electrics, who pays for that or how seem to be the risk factors for early adopters.

Maybe an opportunity for a hybrid - small gas motor to charge on the fly and to bail out the rider if the electrons get in short supply.

The Prius technology on a small scale.

IIRRC I did post a Hybrid concept bike recently. That certainly is an interim option.

KTM has been working on putting KERS on a bike. They also are preparing an electric dirt bike for release. On the surface that seems a logical combination. My concern would be the hazards KERS has presented to F1 drives and mechanics. Would a motorcycle application have the same issues?

One area that has had limited exploration is wind. I posted an article about an electric supercar that was using a wind turbine to generate those pesky electrons. The concept was to use battery or hybrid power to get the car off the line and convert to full electric as the wind turbine built up current to power the motor and recharge batteries. I want to do some follow up research when I get a chance. This idea seems to have potential.

Then there is the MINI mangnetic gizmo on their electric car that provides yet another attempt at increasing range.

Might work out for the cruiser crowd if they modify the style, has the range of a Sportster, and while your in your favorite watering hole :drink , you can plug it in to charge up for the ride home................:laugh

Might work out for the cruiser crowd if they modify the style, has the range of a Sportster, and while your in your favorite watering hole :drink , you can plug it in to charge up for the ride home................:laugh

:dunno But do loud electrons save lives? :ha

Does it require it's own battery(ies)?
If I am not using the electric does it generate power back to battery?
Now that would be something.

Ttxgp

Too late this year, but I think the MOA could put
an entry into the TTXGP ;)

Seriously, we are looking for a Canadian entrant. Any Canuks out there who are interested, please contact me. :ca

Holly

Back