• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: Monday, 19 May 2008

mika

Still Wondering
TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

bdaycake.jpg

237639801_d4Ybr-XL.jpg

popularmechanics.com
Exclusive Book Excerpt: Searching for 10 classic motorcycles ÔÇô and the legends behind the handlebars

sportrider.com
Using data acquisition ÔÇô RPM analysis

motorcyclistonline.com
Biking Iceland

I bump into sites on the web with art cars. Now
thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com
Art Bikes

The KneeSlider.com
Motorcycle Racing ÔÇô Talent or luck ÔÇô You decide
Michael Schumacher ÔÇô More motorcycle racing

Road tests from Visordown.com
R1200GS v Bandit 1200 v Sprint ST v FZ1
CB600 v FZ6
Duc v GSX v Triumph
Hmmm, is this a multi test model which could be used in ON?
Honda ST1100 v ST1300

webbikeworld.com
REVIEW: HJC Sy-Max II

238400129_UsDbc-XL.jpg

motorcycle-usa.com
MotoGP 2008: Le Mans Results

BMW PressClub: Germany

BMW is looking for the best Enduro riders from five countries.

Munich.
BMW writes the first time the international GS Trophy. These are all called gel?ñndetauglichen driver of a BMW motorcycle, their ability to professionally prepared routes want to measure. The regulations are based directly on the concept of the BMW GS family: safety and reliability, manageability and driving pleasure on any terrain. The focus is therefore not speed or risk but skill, sporting challenge and fahrerische intelligence. With this competition, BMW motorcycle riders committed a unique opportunity to deal with their individual skills and the extensive possibilities of the BMW terrain engine.

The starter, the GS-Trophy qualify in national preliminary. This invites GS-BMW driver in Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan and the U.S. to their own excrement. In Germany, BMW directed to the GS-Challenge in Enduro Park Hechlingen, to the maximum of 200 BMW drivers can participate. Where appropriate, chosen at random. Three routes in different degrees of difficulty have the BMW experts prepared, both amateur riders without sporting experience, as well as trained hands according to their abilities a fair chance.

The GS Challenge starts on 1 August 2008 and goes through two test days. Based on the results of special inspections on the first Fahrtag the best participant, on the second day of the final contest. This event takes place on uniform, of motorcycles and in the knock-evaluated. The three best drivers invites the international BMW GS Trophy to Tunisia, where they are on the winners of the other nations. It expects a desert route, which they specially prepared by BMW's BMW F 800 GS cope.

Of course, no participant of the German GS Challenge with home empty-handed. Participation in the GS-Challenge costs 250th - Euro. Interested parties can apply from June in the Internet in a special page of BMW-Motorrad.de register.

TO CLOSE TO CALL: Racing News ÔÇô You make the call about what you want to know!

Racing Feeds:
Auto Racing Daily: Motorcycle Racing
Auto Racing Daily: Superbike
BBC: Motorsport ÔÇô Rallying ÔÇô World Edition
Crash.Net: MotoGP
Crash.Net: World Superbikes
HighRevs.net: MotoGP
Motorsport.com : World Superbike
MCN: Motor Sport
MCN: World Superbikes
Roadracingworld.com
Superbike-News.co.uk: Superbike
Superbikeplanet.com

237905512-XL.jpg

BMW Sauber F1

BMW Motorsport

autoracingdaily.com
NASCAR Ace Kyle Busch aiming for F1 test with Toyota

Monaco practice has not even started and the complexities of racing regs have already altered the starting grid.
planetf1.com
Five place grid penalty for Vettel

World champion Priaulx scores podium finish for BMW in Valencia.
05-18-2008 Press Release
Valencia, 18th May 2008.
Andy Priaulx (GB) of BMW Team UK claimed his second podium result in this yearÔÇÖs FIA World Touring Car Championship. At ValenciaÔÇÖs ÔÇ£Circuit de la ComunitatÔÇØ he finished third in the sixth round of the season. In the first race of the day the reigning World Champion finished seventh. BMW Team Germany driver J?Ârg M??ller (DE) also collected points at what was the seriesÔÇÖ maiden event on European soil in 2008. His team-mate Augusto Farfus (BR) and BMW Team Italy-SpainÔÇÖs Alessandro Zanardi (IT) and F?®lix Porteiro (ES), however, failed to make it into the top-eight in either race. Victory in the two sprint races at the 4.005-kilometre track went to ChevroletÔÇÖs Robert Huff (GB) and Alain Menu (CH).

In the DriversÔÇÖ Championship, Priaulx now has 22 points under his belt and ranks fifth as the best-placed BMW driver. M??ller follows in sixth with 20 points. With a points tally of 59, BMW currently lies in third place in the manufacturersÔÇÖ classification.

Andy Priaulx (BMW Team UK):
ÔÇ£All in all a good weekend for me. The whole of race one was a really big scrap for me. But I come here to win races and championships and I think I got the best out of the weekend I could possibly expect. My target was seven points, so to get one more than I thought I was able to get was great.ÔÇØ

J?Ârg M??ller (BMW Team Germany):
ÔÇ£My fastest lap in race one shows how competitive my car was today. Probably I could have gone even faster, but itÔÇÖs just really difficult to overtake these SEAT diesels. In the second race I made a good start, but later had to let Robert Huff pass. But the most important fact is I scored solid points after the Puebla wash-out.ÔÇØ

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
ÔÇ£I just want to leave this weekend behind me as quickly as possible. We had a fantastic package, the performance was great, but IÔÇÖm still leaving Valencia empty-handed. My chase in race two turned out to be in vain.ÔÇØ

F?®lix Porteiro (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
ÔÇ£I certainly had different hopes for my home event in Spain. At the beginning of the first race I was hit by another car and a wheel-rim broke. Pit stops cost a lot of time in WTCC, so I had to bid farewell to my ambition to score points. At least I was able to entertain the fans with lots of overtaking manoeuvres in race two.ÔÇØ

Alessandro Zanardi (BMW Team Italy-Spain):
ÔÇ£I might leave Valencia without any points under my belt, but I go home with some positive feedback. We have a good race performance, and I only need to be more consistent in qualifying. Today I just suffered another dose of bad luck.ÔÇØ

240144922_iUQjD-XL.jpg

windingroad.com
Really modern classic: The brand new Jensen Interceptor S

autobloggreen.com
Lotus creates lightweight structures division

iht.com
Diesel automobiles clean up for U.S. revival

upi.com
Porsche eyeing 2,100 new German jobs

238372427_JXiGX-XL.jpg

BMW Website Review:

BMW Yachtsport

BMW Golfsport

BMW Oracle Racing

BMW Sport website

BMW PressClub

297373404_WbW4h-Ti.gif
Viral Monday ÔÇô a look back at last weekÔÇÖs BMW news.

BMW PressClub: North America

IN THE TIRE TRACKS OF A LEGEND: BMW 328 AT THE 2008 MILLE MIGLIA
05/15/2008

Munich/Brescia. It was 70 years ago that BMW first entered its 328 model in the Mille Miglia. For this year's anniversary appearance, BMW will be following the historic example by deploying four of these legendary roadsters in the event. Joining them will be the BMW 328 Berlin-Rom racing variant from 1941 as well as a BMW 327 Convertible and a 327/28 Coup?®. With nine private teams entering, a total of 16 BMW cars will be lining up in Brescia for the start of the 2008 Mille Miglia.

For the first time this year, BMW's heritage division will be debuting under its new designation BMW Classic. "Taking part in such a tradition-rich event with our new name is very special for us," said the Director of BMW Classic, Karl Baumer. "And the fact that we will be on the road exactly 70 years after the first BMW 328 lends extra appeal to the race," he added. But the achievements of those historic forerunners are unlikely to be surpassed: 70 years ago the teams in their BMW 328s swept up the first four places in the 2000 cc class and majestically claimed the team trophy in the regularity race.

BMW Classic Teams

78 BMW 328 Berlin Rom 1940 Klaus Draeger / Michael Paul
80 BMW 327 Convertible 1937 Ian Robertson / Daniel Tasch
81 BMW 328 1937 Ludwig Willisch / Prinz Leopold von Bayern
82 BMW 328 1937 Ulrich Knieps / Hans Hamer
83 BMW 328 1937 Tom Purves / James Berrien
87 BMW 328 1938 Marco Saltalamacchia / Andrea Castronovo
88 BMW 327/28 1939 Paolo Kessisoglu / Luca Bizzarri

Private Teams

84 BMW 328 1938 Sandro Bertoli / Alessandra Bonomi
85 BMW 328 1938 Manuel Eli?ºabe / Juli?ín Lepphaille
86 BMW 328 1938 Gianmaria Aghem / Rossella Conti
89 BMW 328 1939 Andrew Baker / Richard Kresch
300 BMW Isetta 300 1957 Pier Luigi Mercadanti / Gabriella Bastoni
351 BMW 507 1955 Daniel Peeters / St?®phane Sertang
352 BMW 507 1957 M. Guarnieri / G. Guarnieri
353 BMW 507 1957 Thomas Haffa / Christoph Walther
354 BMW 507 1957 Franco Forti / Jacopo Danielli

61st CANNES FILM FESTIVAL STARTS ON MAY 15 ON THE COTE D'AZUR
05/13/2008

BMW Group presents itself with the film industry in an international cooperation.
Cannes/Munich May 15 marks the start of the 61st International Film Festival in the eternally glamorous town of Cannes on the coast of southern France. The BMW Group is right in the middle of things, a competent partner for the German, European and global film industry.

297377338_8Dk7o-M.jpg

The Munich-based company has a long tradition of cooperation with the film industry: alongside classic product placements, the BMW Group has also consistently supported the rise of young film talent both in Germany and world wide.

At this year's Cannes Film Festival, the BMW Group is the local partner of the European Film Promotion (EFP), the Rome Film Festival, the Quinzaine des R?®alisateurs, Next Generation from German Films and the German Short Film Association, AG Kurzfilm.

Producers on the Move - Europe's young producers in Cannes
The BMW Group is partnering the European Film Promotion (EFP) in Cannes this year, supporting the organisation in all events related to the festival. As in previous years, the principal EFP event is Producers on the Move, an event at which over one hundred young European film producers are introduced and distinguished in the presence of international media and representatives of the film industry.

Rome Film Festival reception in Cannes
The Rome Film Festival brings a touch of Italian flair to the French Mediterranean resort: In cooperation with MINI Italy, the BMW Group is this year's international partner of the film festival in the Italian capital, alongside the activities in Cannes. MINI Italy has supported the Rome Film Festival since 2006, and will continue the cooperation this year also.

40 years Quinzaine des R?®alisateurs
The Quinzaine des R?®alisateurs (Directors' Fortnight) section of the SRF French Directors' Society celebrates its fortieth anniversary in Cannes this year, taking place from 15 - 25 May. Jointly with BMW France, the BMW Group is cooperating with the Quinzaine for the second time, but on a much more extensive basis this year. The company will also be supporting the 40-year jubilee celebrations of the event, with the brand new Sports Activity Coup?®, the BMW X6, right at the centre of the festivities.

German Films on the Riviera
The BMW Group has partnered the Next Generation short film programme from German Films since 2005. This event, which launched in 1998, presents a selection of recent German film college productions at the Cannes Film Festival. This year the programme includes the BMW funded productions Mein Robodad from the Bauhaus University of Weimar and the short film Dunkelrot from the Hamburg Media School, which has already garnered the Max Oph??ls Award.

Short films with a sea view
Short films are also the focus of the reception organised by BMW on 17 May 2008 (invitation only) on the terrace of the Quinzaine. The BMW Group has been a member of the German Short Film Association AG Kurzfilm for 3 years, sustainable supporting the growth of the German short film industry both in Germany and abroad. For the first time this year, short films have been given an official forum in the festival programme, giving a further boost to the panache and diversity of the festival as a whole.

BMW PressClub Spain

Countdown to China

The Spanish adventurer Gustavo Cuervo is conducting the final preparations for its long off-road journey across China in a BMW F 800 GS. This reporter recently organized with great success around the world 'BMW Riders Relay Around The World', one of the global travel by motorcycle most ambitious ever organized, and now plans to create a documentary on motorcycle adventure unprecedented.
Together with two other colleagues and explorers, Sebastian Alvarado and Tomas Ricard, Gustavo depart from Beijing on May 10, and expects to reach the base of K2 (the second highest mountain in the world) in early June, having travelled 6,000 kilometres (3,600 miles) in China. In an exclusive interview, tells BMW Motorrad what he has done so far and why you think this adventure is one of the most exciting in which it has participated ...

What are some of the most memorable in which has been in motorcycle?

Many countries are special, albeit for different reasons. Since then, I've been in lots of places. At the beginning of the 80 pilot Kenya, Tanzania and Niger, two people on a BMW R 90 S. I came up Nordkapp in 1983, crossed the Sahara several times from 1985 to 1989; pilot?® to Mali and Mauritania in 1990, explored americas Central in 1995; South America, Mongolia and Siberia in 1996; Nepal in 1997, India and New Zealand 2000, not to mention the U.S., throughout Europe and Australia. I have also completed two trips "Around The World" in BMW motorcycles: one with a BMW 1100 GS in 1996 and the second with an R 1200 GS Adventure in 2006/2007. However, I hope that with more impatience is the next special trip to China.

Why choose the F 800 GS instead of the proven R 1200 GS Adventure for this new journey?

The F 800 GS is a new concept in BMW - never seen before - and accept the challenge will be fantastic to see whether this first generation of 800cc enduro router is really 'unstoppable' (odd). They also prefer the F 800 GS for this trip because it is lighter than the R 1200 GS and it should be easier to drive off-road conditions in truly extreme.

What happened with the four R 1200 GS Adventure motorcycles that were used in the trip 'Around the World BMW Riders Relay'?

All were sold by BMW Motorrad in Spain, and each one had 120,000 miles! I myself discussed one of them in a ten-page article in the journal Spanish motorcycling; may be an interesting video about this in http://videos.motociclismo.es/video/iLyROoaftDlt.html and at the following address can be a video a typical stage of the journey http://videos.motociclismo.es/video/iLyROoaftEdW.html

How are you planning the route for the journey from China?

We will follow the route of Younghusband, the English explorer of the nineteenth century. Younghusband made an expedition across Manchuria, crossing the Gobi desert and pioneered a route from Kashgar and India through the Paso de Mustagh, of which there were no maps. Thus was elected the youngest member of the Royal Geographic Society (Royal Geographic Society) and received the coveted gold medal of society. This will be our main route, but we are also planning to fly in the desert of Junggar, on the border of Mongolia and Kazakhstan and elsewhere that have not been flat on motorcycles. Sebastian Alvarado is the program director of the Spanish Television "At the edge of the impossible", and has traveled to China and Tibet many times, climbing or kayaking. Even walked by the Taklamakan desert six years ago!

How did you prepare or modify motorcycles for this trip?

The motorcycles will be absolutely standard, only add bars protection for the engine and mount tires for off-road Metzeler Karoo. We have purchased four motorcycles to a new concessionaire BMW Motorrad in Spain and will be sent to China by plane.

What you are learning and development staff doing?

Personally, I'm riding a mountain bike up to two hours a day, as well as pilots daily motorcycles on the road and beyond. Sebastian is now climbing the Nanga Pargat in the Himalayas, with the Spanish mountaineer Edurne past. This mountain has more than 8,000 meters above sea level. Ricard is currently in China, riding on the mountain bikes and off-road motorcycles.

How FILM this issue?

Film documentaries historical, cultural and adventure for Spanish Television, but those produced in two versions in Spanish and English language. We will have with us two 4x4 vehicles for logistics, cameras, medical guides and Chinese. We will also have a motorcycle reserve, tires and gasoline, in total, a select team of nine people. Film special videos also tested the suspension of motorcycles, motor, electronics, wheels, etc.. So there will be data available from the F 800 GS in some of the most extreme conditions imaginable and exotic.

Can you talk a little more about the broadcasts you've done in the Olympics?

He worked for 25 years on television in Spain, pilots usually motorcycles with a camera sitting behind me. He worked in the Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000, in Athens in 2004 and also will be in Beijing in 2008. Pilot motorcycles that are used to shoot the marathon, triathlon and cycling, 11 tests in total. My normal work day to day in Spain is to manage a team of motorcycles for the Tour of Spain. I have also piloted several times in the Tour de France and Tour of Italy. In Beijing will be part of a team with people from china nationality, Belgian, French and Spanish, who will work together to provide audio-visual material to be broadcast worldwide. Work at the Olympic Games is always a fantastic experience.

When you start your journey in the F 800 GS, how can we follow your online developments?

Yes, of course. We are now online with our website www.chinatierradeaventura.com, which will soon be available in English in addition to Spanish.

BMW PressClub Italy

BMW Motorcycle Club Italia, the family continues to grow. 8,000 members on the roads worldwide

A family so no one was ever view: 8,000 motorcyclists united under the brand dell'Elica, ready to climb in the saddle to his BMW to the discovery of new roads, paths and adventures.You may encounter on the part of the world as the bar near you, just look distracted to recognize and greet knowing that they share the same values.

The objective of BMW Motorcycle Club Italia is to offer directly and through the 66 rooms Club meetings and travel, as well as many benefits to its members. The club premises are connected to the dealer area. Each motorcyclist associating with a local club is, in its own right, a member of the Club Italia.

297382463_2CcDc-M.jpg

The initiatives are proliferating. Each year new ideas launched by the same shareholders become reality: Patagonia, U.S., Australia to satisfy the spirit of adventure; weekend in the mountains or the sea for more lazy; track and off-road for the most demanding.

The Club is therefore an instrument of aggregation, inspired by the philosophy of the mark, which provides a range of opportunities to live together with many friends passion motorcycle.

Each associated located in Sections BMW initiatives tailored to the different philosophies motorcycle, which put at the heart desires Individual motorcyclists adapting to their pace and style of driving.

The sections develop activities for promotion and dissemination of culture BMW motorcycle for specific philosophies of use, in agreement and collaboration with the BMW Motorcycle Club Italia. The inscription on each of Sections is free for all members regularly enrolled in the BMW Motorcycle Club Italia, directly or through the BMW Motorcycle Club premises.

The sections are active:

* Section GS;
* Section Lady Bikers;
* Section K-LT;
* Section Cruiser;
* Select historic register;
* Section HP2.

On the site of the BMW Motorcycle Club Italia, at www.bmwmotorradclubitalia.com are available all information concerning the programmes of meetings, the list of the 66 Club rooms with its contacts, the registration form easily downloadable Club Italia PDF, photos of events as well as the possibility to subscribe to the newsletter through which - in real time - can have informations about news for associates.

BMW Motorcycle Club Italia offers its card services and benefits. He developed, for example, an agreement with the SAR Group to offer its members:

1. 10% discount on premium for "Fire-Theft," if the purchase of the motorcycle through financial product (leasing or financing) BMW Financial Services;

2. 15% discount on premium RC for each subsequent motorcycle insured;
3. 30% discount on premium RC devoted to motorcycles entered in the Register Historic BMW Motorcycles or registry Town IMF.

Details and conditions on the site.

For further information on the activities of Club Italia, you can contact the secretariat at number 199 135 531 (number fixed-price) or to 035 32.30.712 or by mail to: info@bmwmotorradclubitalia.it.

Second edition of "Fun To Ride Tour." The range BMW Motorrad in trial on the most beautiful roads of Italy

The second edition of Fun To Ride Tour is the halfway point after 6 of 11 stages and 1,600 participants well. The aim is to overcome the success of last year
which saw 3,000 participants well.

Fun To Ride is a caravan that runs Italy from north to south, started from March 15 Montezemolo is now about to enter the capital and then continue in Florence (24 and May 25), Napoli (7 and June 8) and Finally, with two stages of Palermo in Sicily (14 and June 15) and Catania (21 to June 22). Rehearsals range Urban BMW Motorrad: boxer R 1200 R and R 1200 GS, the four-cylinder K 1200 R and K S 1200, monocilindriche G 650 X Country and new bicilindriche parallel F 800 GS and F 650 GS.

Before testing in the hospitality BMW Motorrad, will hold a brief meeting during which will be shown the characteristics of motion in trial, equipment, as well as a moment of technical analysis of the functioning of safety aids such as ABS ol'ASC .

Instructors will follow the group during the test by opening and closing the caravan of participants so as to ensure maximum security. Participants called for a suitable clothing, but you can also try the clothing collection Riding Equipment BMW Motorrad 2008.

To receive the next steps, the stage closest or availability of seats to book, participants can travel to the BMW Motorrad dealerships of their city, or call toll free 800.01.09.02.

BMW PressClub France

BMW Group Innovation Day 2008: Efficient Mobility

Efficient Mobility
With its programme BMW EfficientDynamics, BMW Group shows that the pleasure of a dynamic leadership and the reduction of consumption and pollutant emissions are compatible. Already, some 40% of new BMW and MINI sold throughout Europe do more between 104 and 140 grams of CO2 per kilometer according to the European driving cycle, a decline of up to 23% CO2 emissions and consumption compared to previous models.

BMW Group does not merely these results and continues to promote the reduction of consumption and pollutant emissions through innovation. But it does not focus solely on the technological aspect of vehicles. For BMW, the key to effective mobility, and therefore sustainable, lies in strengthening the communication between the vehicle, the driver and his environment.

A strategy for broad impact

Thanks to their optimal efficiency technologies, automobiles BMW and MINI all play their segment on a pioneering role in curbing consumption and pollutant emissions and in terms of driving dynamics.

In addition to gasoline and diesel engines, high-performance, the technology programme includes the stop function and automatic restarting of the engine, the recovery of braking energy, electric power steering, an auxiliary bodies as required, strands of air driven on the front of vehicles, the indicator gearshift tyres and reduced resistance to rolling.

237925770-XL.jpg

Conversion tools:

Periodically articles in the Morning Reads list things such as prices in units you may not be familiar with. Here are links to some conversion tools for your use.

Universal Currency Converter by xe.com

Online Conversion tools by onlinecoversion.com

Morning Reads standard measure of bike value is the Rdstr. The Rdstr is pegged to the U.S. Dollar and is currently trading at 1 Rdstr = $12,620 U.S. dollars

BlogRoll: some of the blogs I have collected while purposefully wondering around the internet.

Stuff: A place for everything and everything in its place, including stuff.

autobloggreen.com
Winners and losers in the age of $4+/gallon gasoline

Monroe Shocks has a sense of humor ÔÇô monroesavethsesquirrels.com

bnet.com
Garmin is mystery bidder for Raymarine

reuters.com
Climate change threatens French truffle

boingboing.net
Social networking map of the world

dPS.com
What are the most popular digital cameras at DPS

wired.com
REVIEW: The Chronicles of Narnia ÔÇô Prince Caspian

M.R. Traveler

Places 2 Ride Blog

www.biker-events.com
Finding the Good Times on 2 Wheels

Horizonsunlimited.com ÔÇô Newsletter

Gillette_447.png

2008 International Rally
Gillette, Wyoming, July 17-20 2008

Mining The Website

Threads worth following:

Road Side Attrations

The elections threads; then vote early and often.

TodayÔÇÖsRoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot
The Blog

182526939-M.gif

Packer News: Packers.com, jsonline.com - Packers Plus Online

Humor

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City
Sluggy Freelance
The Onion
xkcd

Bike Candy:

297309785_NMtkG-L.jpg

Panzer Caf?® via ottonero.blogspot.com

THE END

Why choose the F 800 GS instead of the proven R 1200 GS Adventure for this new journey?

The F 800 GS is a new concept in BMW - never seen before - and accept the challenge will be fantastic to see whether this first generation of 800cc enduro router is really 'unstoppable' (odd). They also prefer the F 800 GS for this trip because it is lighter than the R 1200 GS and it should be easier to drive off-road conditions in truly extreme.

And chain drive vs shaft drive. :whistle

Back