• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Morning Reads: 8 May 2007

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

LCBD6015.jpg

News:

webBikeWorld.com – Ducati HyperMotard – Final production specifications and a run down for us to drool over.

ridermagazine.com Gold Wing GL 1800

AMADirectlink.com – A KLR650 for the next 21 years

spec.jpg

infomotori.co.uk – Triumph Speed Triple matt lack

art_19708_2_mat_black_02.jpg

bikernewsonline.com – Colorado helmet law passes

DailyTidings.com – Triumph’s beast with three cylinders

polarisindustries.com Black Magic: Victory Vegas 8-Ball. Another black bike.

TechJournalSouth.com – The secret lives of tech execs: Atlanta VP sets motorcycle record

Via mot.caradisiac.com video of a 250cc crash during the China GP. Translation by Google translator.

Looking at the speed and the violence of the crash, one can say that a good fairy took care on unfortunate Shi Zhao Huang. De Angelis, on this blow there is not left there badly either. Let us recall that no cerebral lesion was detected in the indigenous invited pilot and that if a lumbar vertebra badly did not suffer, the interested party indeed has the feeling of all his members. One can only speak about miracle.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yE1xjgm4crI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yE1xjgm4crI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Newsletters:

Soundrider.com – Egological Why do we buy, by the by? - Dave Preston looks beyond the heart, the mind and into the EGO!

Soundrider.com Breaking Traction - Fed up with legislative efforts to cut motorcyclists off? Part two of why it's us who are making the inanity of it all happen

Updates from the Ural Newsletter : R & D Update from the Factory!

Ural has successfully completed tests of the modified 750-engine prototype for compliance with the new Euro-3 standards at the University of Gratz, Austria. The final series of tests are scheduled for May. During these tests the engine configuration will be finalized, which upon completion will then enter production. At the same time, we are building five more new engines that will be used for road tests in Europe, USA and Russia. At this time, we are 99% confident that the final version of the modified engine will be carbureted.

To refresh a point for anyone that originally may have missed it, the R & D of the new engine(s), as well as several other power plant projects, are being conducted by the Austrian company HC Concepts, headed by Claus Holweg. Claus’ noted experience comes from years as an engineer for such companies as BMW, Rotax and KTM!

At the IMZ factory in Irbit, the consolidation project to bring all production into one building that started four years ago is coming to completion. In February, the assembly shop was moved to the new location and as of now, all the production units, except for the painting department, are located in one building. The painting department is scheduled to be moved in 2008.

Buell Newsletter touts Homecoming 2007

Plan on coming back to where it all began - East Troy, Wisconsin. Mark your calendar for July 6-8 and reserve your spot for Homecoming 2007.

As an owner, enjoy the Ultimate Buell Weekend:

Seminars and autographs with Erik Buell

Factory Tours

Discounted tickets to the races at Road America

On-track parade lap at Road America

Free street and track demos

One-of-kind T-shirt

Buell Hospitality all weekend, including an owner Happy Hour

and much more!

Blog Update:

Salcar: Go Slooow

Faster and Faster – Charlie and Ewan prepare for the Long Way Down. Looks like someone has been spending some time at the World of BMW website.

Tales of a Duc Rider My 700 mile day 9 (or man were those some amazing roads!)

Forty Years on Two Wheels – “All who wander are not lost”

Gear:

girlbike.com – safety deal alert: wireless RiderLight under $25

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

Soundrider.com Suspension Basics: Part 1 - Sean Coker looks at ways to dial in your suspension, both front and rear!

Riding Skills:

Soundrider.com – Road Science Braking: Part 2 - David Hough breaks down the art of braking.

Soundrider.com – Reading the Road: How ot guess what’s ahead when you can’t see it.

29 second motorcycle safety ad from Northern Ireland via Bikes in the Fast Lane

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-PwjqsL3cI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-PwjqsL3cI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Photography / Video:

Cyril Huze – Legend of The Motorcycle pictures

Motoblog.it Motoblog’s image gallery of the China MotoGP

M.R. Traveler

Strange Maps - 109 - The ‘Schweizer R?®duit’: Hard-Core Switzerland

Soundrider.com – Navigating Forest Service Roads, planning ahead for the ride.

londonbikers.com – The velvet highways from the land of my fathers.

Today’s RoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City

All things BMW: Page 2

BMW MOA Chartered Club:
wa_2.jpg

club: Washington State BMW Riders, #104
founded: 8/1/1980
22532 94th St. E
Buckley, WA 98321 US
www.wsbmwr.org

meetings: 1st Sunday each month, 9:30am, alternating cities North and South of Seattle.
events: Cascade Country Rendezvous, Mason County Fairgrounds off US101 in Shelton, Wa. Aug 19-22, 2004
Mt St Helens Blowout Campout, Maryhill State Park, Maryhill WA, May 22

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

Ozaukee – Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

Travel Information – Driving Conditions and other related information sites.

Bike Candy:

149037693-L.gif

THE END

All things BMW: Page 2

Motorsport.com ÔÇô Zndvoort: BMW Motorsport preview

gizmag.com ÔÇô Pfeiffer in Red Square

BMW Sauber F1: Website

BMWOracleRacing.com the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup website.

The 32nd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup Official Website

BMW Group Press Club:

Tracking the news from BMW at their English language sites and Germany

PressClub USA

WTCC - WTCC - ZANDEVOORT - ROUNDS 3 & 4 ÔÇô RACE

2007 FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)
Rounds 3 and 4 - 05th/06th May 2007 - Race

BMW Drivers Farfus and M??ller on Podium Positions in Zandvoort.

BMW Team Germany drivers Augusto Farfus (BRA) and J?Ârg M??ller (GER) have reached podium positions in round four of the FIA World Touring Car Championship. In the afternoon race at the "Circuit Park Zandvoort", the team-mates came in second and third after Gabriele Tarquini (ITA/SEAT). In race one, BMW privateer Luca Rangoni (ITA) caused a stir by finishing third for Proteam Motorsport. Chevrolet driver Alain Menu (SUI) won, followed by his team-mate Nicola Larini (ITA).

Farfus has now taken over the lead in the Drivers' Championship, with 28 points. He is followed by M??ller with 22 points. Reigning World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx (GBR) of BMW Team UK scored five championship points in Zandvoort, finishing in eighth and fifth position. The 32-year-old has accumulated 21 points in the first four rounds, securing him fourth position in the championship. In the WTCC's premiere on Dutch soil, BMW was able to consolidate its position in the Manufacturers' Championship. The brand has scored 60 points altogether. BMW leads by 17 points, followed by SEAT.

The spectators at the 4.3 kilometre track experienced a turbulent first race. At the start, which was a "rolling start" as in the first race in Curitiba (BRA), all of the BMW national team drivers lost a few positions. Subsequently, however, they displayed some fighting spirit and worked their way forward in the field. In the beginning, Farfus dropped back from third to fifth position, resulting in a duel with Tiago Monteiro (POR). On lap seven Farfus passed the SEAT driver, and a little later Monteiro launched a counter-attack. Farfus finished fifth, thus being the best-placed driver of the BMW national teams.

Behind him, his fellow BMW drivers provided a true display of passing manoeuvres. At the end of lap one, Priaulx was in eleventh position. However, he never lost the eighth position - and with it the pole position in round two - from view. He passed first Thompson (GBR), then Gabriele Tarquini (ITA), followed by Jordi Gen?® (SEAT) and then benefited from Robert Huff's (GBR) dropping out in a crash on lap eight which was followed by a lap under safety car conditions. Finishing eighth, Priaulx had an ideal position for the second race.

F?®lix Porteiro (ESP) for BMW Team Italy-Spain caused the greatest stir: After his collision with Stefano d'Aste (ITA) he had dropped back to 20th position, and still fought his way through the field, lap for lap, despite his damaged steering system. In the end, he finished eleventh, right behind J?Ârg M??ller. Porteiro's team-mate, Alessandro Zanardi (ITA), who had had problems with the balance of his car throughout the entire weekend, improved his position during the race from 14th to 12th.

Before the second race, there was a brief spell of rain which hardly affected the conditions, however. Priaulx had a good start and stayed in front of Tarquini. On lap two, the SEAT driver attempted to pass him. The cars collided - and Priaulx found himself well off the racing line. He managed to get back into the field in fifth position. The start of the race was much better for M??ller.

The experienced driver had a fantastic start and propelled himself from tenth to fifth position. Following Priaulx's mishap and after having passed Rangoni, he was already in third position on lap four, the position he was able to secure to the end of the race. In front of him, Farfus was pursuing Tarquini. The Brazilian had also had a good start and went from fourth to second position. After a flawless race, Farfus defended his second position until the end of the race.

Although he had a brief off-track moment on lap seven and was passed by Larini, Priaulx did not give up. On lap ten, he regained fifth position from Rangoni and held this position to the end. Porteiro was also able to score a championship point in the 12-lap race - his first this season. After having started from eleventh position, the 23-year-old displayed a strong performance and finished eighth. The BMW Team Italy-Spain, however, was unable to solve the balance problems in Zanardi's car and so he had to make do with eleventh position.

Reactions:
BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen:
"We have seen two very exciting races. Regrettably we have not seen that many passing manoeuvres which normally constitute the specific appeal of this series. On this track it is really only possible to overtake on the straight, except if someone makes a mistake. Today we faced the counter-reaction to our two triple-victories in Curitiba, which is in part due to the handicap weights. We have expanded our lead in the Manufacturer's Championship."

Augusto Farfus (BMW Team Germany):
"This was a wonderful weekend for me. We had expected that the cars with front-wheel drive would be very strong here. In the light of this it is especially rewarding that I was able to score many points in both races. This had been my goal and I have reached it. The bad news, however, is that I will be going to Valencia with a lot of handicap weight. But that is just the way it is. The championship has only started, and it feels good to be on top."

J?Ârg M??ller (BMW Team Germany):
"Today my car felt a lot better than at the beginning of the weekend. We have made significant changes in the set-up and these have paid off. In the first race, I was well on my way after the difficult start, and was quickly able to close the gap with Jordi Gen?®. Then, however, you noticed the difference in weight, so I had no chance of passing him. In the second round I managed a true rocket-start. That was the basis for the third position."

K75 on super steroids?

New for 2007, the touring version of Triumph's year-old Rocket III Classic is a triple novelty. The long and low profile, the floorboards and rock 'n' roll shift are pure cruiser, but the bike is English, not American or Japanese. Its power isn't cranked from a big, air-cooled V-twin but a gargantuan, liquid-cooled in-line triple. Busting the bucket at 2,294 cc, it's also the largest-displacement mass-produced motorcycle with a motorcycle engine on the market.

Remember when the hope was that the K75 would morph into a large triple? The idea has finally Triumphed.
[url]http://www.infomotori.co.uk/foto/N/art_19708_2_mat_black_02.jpg[/URL]
Americade is less than a month away. A test drive seems in order.

Last edited:
from
TechJournalSouth.com ÔÇô The secret lives of tech execs: Atlanta VP sets motorcycle record

Gerulski, who is also a woodworker, says generally he enjoys working on motorcycles as much as riding them. He doesnÔÇÖt plan to keep the BMW he rode on the trip, though. ÔÇ£On the BMW, I want to go really fast and weave in and out of traffic,ÔÇØ he says. He normally rides a more sedate Harley. ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs much safer,ÔÇØ he adds. So he plans to sell the BMW and donate the proceeds to charity.

Voni
sMiling

Honda CB400F

My buddy Bruce (MOA84843) has a yellow '76, that he bought new back in '78, sitting in his family room down in KC awaiting restoration. His boy, Farmer Ted (YELLOW_S), has polished on it quite a bit and it takes me back to the days when Bruce and I used to tool around, me on my Bonneville and him on his 400F. Great days...

Rode my new (to me) '04 RT, Maureen :heart to work for the first time today.
I knew that BMW City Suit would come in handy some day!

Back