• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 5 August 2007

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

John's+birthday+card+picture+frame+600+pixels.preview.jpg

BMW in the News

bikemagazine.co.uk
Bike has GS650 Xcountry in its long term stable.
Khal Harris, staff rider is giving his initial impressions.

MIM breakthrough in BMW engines
pim-international.com
Car guy stuff, I know, but will it be coming to a motorcycle engine near you?

TED: Ideas worth spreading
TED Blog,Conferences, Themes, Talks and Speakers

BMW Press: News and press releases from the official BMW sources

BMW Group

To the limit
A brief look at testing done to make BMW autos ready for the real world.

BMW Sauber F1: Website

F1 News from Qualifying:

formul1.com
Alonso on pole in Hungary as BMW edge out Ferrari

f1complete.com
Hungarian GP qualifying in words and pictures.

motorsport.com
F1: Saturday Press Conference – Alanso, Hamilton and Heidfeld

At the German GP it was BMW drivers Kubica and Heidfeld that were mad with each other. Now the McLaren drivers are at each others throats at the Hungarian GP
f1complete.com
Alonso claims Hamilton triggered pit controversy.

The gospel according to Ron Dennis –
motorsport.com
Ron Dennis explains pit controvery.

pitpass.com
Alonso loses pole

pitpas.com
McLaren appeals stewards decision.

It is the Hungarian Grand Prix week end. Follow the race, pre and post race interviews and news on the BMW Sauber F1 site or these:

Formula 1 .com the official F1 website.

BBCsportmotosport.co.uk

Motoring.co.za

F!COMPLETE

Wheels24.co.za

motorsport.com

BMW Motorsport

BMW Yachtsport

BMW Golfsport

BMW Oracle Racing

BMW Sport website

News:

This needs no translation
motoblog.it
Ducati Terra Mostro

This may be worthwhile to keep in mind when you need to ship your bike.
prweb.com
Milwaukee-Based Motorcycle Shipper Integrates GPS Tracking System
Daily Driect/HaulBikes is adding GPS to their entire fleet, tie it into a web site where you will be able to track your bikes progress. The system will also alert you when the bike is in a pre-determined range from its destination.

womenridersnow.com
Metzeler Bike Contest Storms Sturgis for Fifth Year in a Row

cctv.com
Chinese motor sales grow in Egypt

Iron Butt Rally 2007

Iron Butt Rally
With links to information on past rallies.

The 2007 Iron Butt Rally will take off on Monday, August 20, 2007
from the St. Louis, Missouri area. Once again, it will be a challenge
not only to riding skills but also the riders ability to map a
successful route in order to maximize points and solve the
time/distance equation.
Iron Butt.org:
Website
Forum
SaddleSore Website

Iron Butt Rally in the News:
Morning Reads attempt to give you ways for you to follow the event and fill in some of the background for the unfamiliar.

Bike Reviews:

motorcycledaily.com
2008 Triumph Street Triple: MD First Ride

motociclismo.it
Suzuki B-King: exaggerated in the dimensions and the power.

motorbox.com
Italian site MotoBox Previews: Buell Ulysses for 2008

Blog Update

Foriegn Language Blogs

Gear:

webbikeworld.com
Velocity Gear SS Metalwear Motorcycle Gloves

I don’t know about them as riding gloves but they may be the new forum poster wear.

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

How to use a dual swingarm rearstand
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgLX4W_xXy4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgLX4W_xXy4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City

Parts:

cyrilhuzeblog.com
World Tracker GPS for Your Motorcycle

Riding Skills:

A-harley-motorcycle
Start at the beginning: Online Help For New Motorcyclists

motorcycle.com
Master the Street

Today’s RoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

xkcd A webcomic of Romance, Sarcasm, Math and Language

Bike Candy:

Bike Candy can take many forms. The common source is the work obsessively loving work of someone’s hands. The Feature in the 3 August M.R. was an article by The Kneeslider about the Munc Mammut Replicas by Mike Kron.

I was fascinated by the Munch Mammut when it first came out. I am even more fascinated by the care and effort Mike Kron has given to his replicas. Sit back and scroll through words and pictures from his web site: mammut-1000.de

[size]Translation by Google Translator[/size]

?£ber mich About Me

Born 1961, grown up in motorcycle an inspired family, I already came as a boy into contact with old motorcycles (max, Horex, BMW), which my father collected and restored. The enthusiasm for historical motorcycles accompanied me from then on.

After the middle ripe one I learned KFZ mechanics, made I the training and examination following the specialized university-level graduation. The mastership examination as mechanic masters/two-wheeler mechanic masters I put 1988 down. Over a special permission I was already 1987 as an independent two-wheeler restorer actively. Constant further training and challenges with extreme restorations brought me in front on the way to the restorer for many museums and private collecting tanks.

Today I lead my restoration studio with two coworkers in an old, converted and restored farm.

Mike Kron

T?ñtigkeitsfeld: Field of Activity

In my restoration studio high-quality, detail-faithful restorations at historical two-wheelers are accomplished. My clients are private collecting tanks, single customers and museums. I work for customers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands and the USA.

With a restoration are to be solved a multiplicity from different problems to. I am to be settled able all resulting tasks. The preparation of plates, muffler plants, wheel hubs, frame parts and tanks rank among the usual tasks.

Exactly the same I am in a the position new engine components such as crank case, cylinder, cylinder heads, crankshafts, carburetors, pinion-corrode, to manufacture clutches….. Often I am posed before the task to restore from a delivered framework and engine a complete and original-faithful motorcycle. Here then the parts to large extent, described above, must be manufactured. For the reconstruction of missing parts I can fall back to my extensive archives with technical periodicals, specialized technical, innumerable pictures and slides, which I carried over the years together. Likewise I have to look for the possibility in different firm archives for information.

A small however high-interesting part of my activity is the building of Replika motorcycles. I copy the following motorcycles original-faithfully:

Das Mammut Nachbau-Projekt The Mammut Reproduction Project

The lengthen-year old enthusiasm for the M?£NCH giant was still strengthened by the purchase of a M?£NCH. As necessary is the case for my order restorations, I investigated the history of the M?£NCH. In an older Motrorrad Fachzeitschrft I saw a picture of a M?£NCH, which was up to then completely unknown to me. Demands to more sieser illustrated M?£NCH with proven M?£NCH experts led this motorcycle to no result, were completely unknown.

For further investigation I visited Friedel M??nsch in its workshop in leaves oh. It could answer then the important questions to me to these shown M?£NCH. It concerned the 1. Series of the M?£NCHS, were manufactured 13 pieces by this model. A majority went to the USA into the export, mainly. Now was clear, the research to siesem M?£NCH model must in the USA be resumed.

By my friends in the USA I could attach first contacts and I found owners of such early M?£NCH motorcycles. It began an exchange of information and pictures. In the context of my research work I discovered a M?£NCH owner of the completely early time also here in Germany. I could visit it and he supported me with its whole knowledge. It saw the production with Friedel M??nch personally and made approx. 200 pictures during the structure of the M?£NCHS in Ossenheim. By the support of a M?£NCH of driver I could take up contact with one of the few German M?£NCH series 1 owner. As I him visited gave it a large surprise, it had the M?£NCH of 1967 still. This motorcycle was used now as sample motorcycle.

By our restoration work on M?£NCH motorcycles I had already after-manufactured and could many parts these the American M?£NCH collecting tanks offer. A collecting tank visited me here in my restoration studios and brought an enormous amount at information and addresses also. The next step was the USA a Forschungsreise. There I could look at myself the machines in genuine and photograph the vehicle details. My activities concerning these completely early M?£NCH then also into German M?£NCH collecting tank circles admits and was inquired, what with these early M?£NCH on itself had it.

My information collected now resulted in a completely clear picture over these first 13 built M?£NCH Motrorr?ñder. To buy there was none such motorcycle, most is in firm collecting tank hands.

My experience and knowledge in reconstructing and restoring classical motorcycles, was it only a small step for decision to copy this early M?£NCH in a limited number of items. Inquiries of three M?£NCH collecting tanks were present, so that the reproduction project was started.

Its conclusion found this project in the context of the public presentation on 11 November 2005.

179748457-M.jpg

179748472-M.jpg

179748485-M.jpg

179748503-M.jpg

179748524-M.jpg

179748539-M.jpg

179748554-M.jpg

179748588-M.jpg

179748610-M.jpg

179748638-M.jpg

179748655-M.jpg

179748667-M.jpg

179748682-M.jpg

179748682-M.jpg

179748742-M.jpg

Continued on Page 2

Last edited:
The slip cover of Floyd Clymer's book - A treasury of motorcycles of the world" sports a large period photo of the Mommut, but unfortunately it was not mentioned in the text. Though the book is somewhat shallow, there is a good photo collection of seldom seen marks, Greeves, Cotton, Jawa, Penton, Marushu, The Metrala, Mercurio and such.

Nice post Mika

Motard

Back