• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Morning Reads: 31 December 2006

mika

Still Wondering
The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of a BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop shop for motorcycling information.

TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

hats-lg.gif

ÔÇØride and eat pieÔÇØ

Valley BMW Riders, #186

Founded:
6/1/1988

Ron Wiebe (cbckam@telus.net)
646 McCurrach Place
Kamloops, BC V2B 8R1 Canada
www.valleybmwriders.com

Meetings:
Breakfast meetings, 10 am,
last Sun. of month Mar-Oct,
various locations,
Southern interior of BC

Events:
Last Chance to Camp & Ride, Banbury Green Camp, Kaleden, BC; Columbus Day
Pie Run; Father's Day weekend, June

Another Chance to Camp and Ride, Grand Forks, BC, weekend after Labor Day

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

JSOnline.com: Preparing for Partiers

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Motorcyclebloggers.com: Attorney post racing contingency money for WERA West

TwistingAsphalt.com: End of Year Desmosedici RR Rumors

http://twistingasphalt.com/index.php/archives/2006/12/30/what-every-monster-owner-needs/]Twisted wrist.com[/url]: New Ducati Toywill BMW respond?

Adventure Posts:

Motorcyclecruiser.com: Motorcycle Tour ÔÇô Mohawk Trail

Manufacturer of the Day:

APRILIA

apriliausa.com
racingaprilia.com
apriliaowners.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Bike Candy:

foto_mag_4_321_1069235306.jpg

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

All things BMW

X-Raid.de: BMW X-Raid

Dakar 2007

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWsCBonuxw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWsCBonuxw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Motorsport.com: Robby Gordon has a new sponsor

EUROSPORT.com: Jutta Kleinschmidt is predicting a David and Goliath battle.

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

Dakar Rally News via topix.net

Mobileindustry.biz: EA launches Dakar 2007 for mobiles.

Popcorn Dakar

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1h-4WRhpGg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1h-4WRhpGg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trucks at prelim for Dakar.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cp8Op0z-5es"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cp8Op0z-5es" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Now some bikes

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqGFm1umx5o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqGFm1umx5o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers ÔÇô Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

spaceball.gif

IOMTT

iomtt.com: Creg goes corporate for TT 2007

F-1

Motorsport.com: New Years resolutions

Sportinglife.com: Schu departure leaves title race open.

PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

The End

Page 2

The debut of a new product can be spectacular. Fire works spectacular for some products and spectacularly painful for other products. Suffice it to say the C1 suffered through the latter. During the press introduction on journalist fell over in BMWÔÇÖs safest motorbike ever made, damaged his knee and needed to be taken away by ambulance for medical treatment.

Jeremy Clarkson is an influential voice in British auto print. In addition he is no fan of BMW in any form. At the time of His pre-release article he was relishing in the troubles the German invasion of the British auto industry by VW and BMW was going through. In his opening paragraphs of his review he spent time taking shots at BMW and the government minister reviewing the BMW/Rover deal.

ÔÇØWatching this BMW/Rover thin unfurl has been bliss.ÔÇØ

BMW would garner two Scooter of the Year Awards for the C1 from a home country publisher, but it would not be treated kindly by Clarkson. Imagine the public standing at speakerÔÇÖs corner in London and listening to two opponents shout out from their respective soap boxes.

BMW:
BMW has today announced its revolutionary urban transport vehicle the C1

Clarkson:
I think the C1 is the most stupid thing the world ahs seen. If it were to take part in a village idiot competition, it wouldnt even get there.

BMW:
The BMW C1 is the safest vehicle on two wheels

Clarkson:
BMW is at pains to say that this it the safest motorbike ever made.

Which is like saying the AK-47 is the safest gun.

You can leave a car for hours at the side of the road and it wont fall over once

BMW:
The C1 employs some interesting design elements designed to protect the rid not only in an accident but also from the elements.

Clarkson:
what good is that roof? In this country, rain always falls at an angle, so it has nothing to do with weather protection.

BMW:
Urban journey time are typically halved compared to driving a car.

Clarkson:
And so what about performance? ItÔÇÖs a BMW. ItÔÇÖs a bike. And if we make a cocktail of those two images, weÔÇÖre up there at the speed of sound, feeling goog and looking cool. Except weÔÇÖre not, because the C1 has a 125cc engine with a three-way catalytic converter, so itÔÇÖs out of puff at 60mph.

BMW:
Combining the safety features of a small car with the convenience and maneuverability of a two wheeler, the BMW C1 is the worldÔÇÖs first bike/car hybrid.

Clarkson:
Trying to mate a bike with a car is like trying to mate a dog with a fish. You end up with something that wonÔÇÖt do as itÔÇÖs told and makes you wet every time you take it out for a walk.

If BMW would be able to accept this imaginary debate as a case of, ÔÇ£any press even bad press is better than no pressÔÇØ, they were going to suffer from problems of their own making. Were would the prospective buyer go to look at and purchase a C1. Keep in mind ClarksonÔÇÖs comment about mating a dog with a fish.

The C1 was designed as an uber scooter. BMW had no network of scooter dealers ready to handle and market this new urban wonder vehicle. One can easily speculate why the BMW motorcycle dealers would not want to take on this model even with their experience in selling two wheel vehicles. If the goal was to move people out of cars, off buses and tubes to the seat of a C1 without cannibalizing the existing two wheel market the bike dealers were not good choices. The task was give to the car dealers.

I purchase my first R100 roadster from a BMW car/motorcycle dealer in Joliet Il. It was a carry over model. They had one mechanic that had been sent to motorcycle school, and the sales force learned more from me than I did from them. I can only imagine what the customer was faced with when they walked into the BMW car dealers for help with buying a C1.

119063463-M.jpg

In the long run BMW did bring the bike dealers into the loop but not until BMW and prospective buyers were confronted with another issue.

BMW from the outset had included the double roll cage as driver protection. Various crash tests had been run to demonstrate the safety of the uber scooter. There were many reasons for the double roll cage but one definite goal was to allow the rider to safely operate the C1 without a helmet. Remember the models in the designer C1 in Part III? BMW didnÔÇÖt want to muss their hair or force a business man to deal with a helmet and a briefcase. This was impressed on the salesmen. When they sent prospective customers out for test drivers it brought the attention of another group of helmet wearers.

Policeman.jpg

Take a look at the C1 rider in the earlier picture. He is wearing a helmet. To the chagrin of BMW and their customers the police were pulling helmet-less riders over and ticketing them for riding without helmets. In response BMW successfully lobbied most countries for an exception to the helmet law for the C1 rider. Not in the UK; however.

L.E.O.:
Alright sir I need you to sign this ticket for riding a two wheeled vehicle without a helmet.

Thank you.

Now sir I need you to sign this second ticket for operating a two wheeled vehicle without the proper endorsement.

Test Rider:
But officer I have a valid drivers license.

L.E.O.
Yes sir you do; however, you do not have a scooter endorsement and thus are operating the vehicle illegally. You will have to call the dealer and have them gather you and the vehicle up. Or you may walk back to the dealer and leave the vehicle here unsecured.

Yes dear reader the skilled car salesmen were verifying that their prospects held a valid drivers license, but with their desire for the sale they did not understand the need for a specialized endorsement in addition. They quickly learned.

119061874-M.jpg

BMW did manage to sell approximately 250 C1s in England the first year. In addition to lobbying governments they listened to their customers and Mr. Clarkson. By the introduction of the 2001 model they introduced a power upgrade in the form of a 176cc motor. This added 3bhp and 5Nm of torque. A small gain but it did address the top speed issue and lack of power complaints of Clarkson and concerns of people who were commuting into the city by using the Motorways.

L.E.O.
Good day sir.

Test Rider:
How may I help you?

L.E.O.
Oh nice to see you again.
Very nice helmet sir.
May I see your license sir.

Test Rider proudly pulls his scooter endorsed license from his wallet and hands it to L.E.O.

L.E.O.
Thank you sir.
One moment.
Sir I need you to sign this ticket for operating a motorcycle without the proper endorsement on your license.

Test Rider
But I have a valid scooter endorsement.

L.E.O.
Yes sir you do, but the C1 200 has a 176cc engine.

Test Rider:
And your point officer.

L.E.O.
Two wheeled vehicles with engines this size are considered motorcycles and require a full motorcycle endorsement. You do not have the proper endorsement. Please sign the ticket sir.

Test Rider
&#$)(&*U%
How do I obtain this *#(%(^@(5 endorsement? I already took a class that lasted for several hours to get this endorsement.

L.E.O.
You will have to take a four day course and pass both a written and driving test sir. Now please park the vehicle. You may call the dealer to.

Test Rider
ThatÔÇÖs alright officer I am all to familiar with the drill from here.

Marx_Groucho_A.jpg

Groucho:
I am not sure I want to know the answer but I have to asks, Mika, did anyone buy a C1 after all of this and what did they think of it?

Well Groucho in 2001 BMW managed to sell 10,600 units. Keep in mind the motorcycle division with an established dealer network, and full line of product sold less than 90,000 world-wide in the same period. As to how they liked it lets look at a case study.

Kevin Boone is a C1 owner for 3 years and has this posting out on the internet. As you read it keep in mind the description of the original goals for the C1 laid out in Part II. If you poke around his website you will find he is not unfamiliar with motorcycles or the law. In his review of the C1 it seems that BMW hit the product nail squarely on the head for Kevin, a rider that sounds much like the one they were targeting. Near the end of the post he writes:

Speaking for myself, the C1 was my only bike for the three years that I worked in the City, and wouldnt have wanted any other bike. When I got to my destination I could step straight off the C1 and into my job, without the hassle of looking for somewhere to stow my leathers

There were many riders like Mr. Boone that put money down for a C1 and found that it did a decent job of what it claimed it would do. All the obstacles remained. The value of the sound system was negated in countries where helmets were still required to operate the C1. Buyers were lost in the dealer problems to other vehicles they came across while they were shopping. By July 2002 BMW issued the following press release.

22. Juli 2002

BMW ends speculations about C1 successor

Munich. The BMW C1 will have no successor in the foreseeable future. With this decision BMW is putting the lid on the speculations about the future of this innovative vehicle concept on two wheels. The analyses carried out with regard to the model decisions for the future concerning the years to come, show that the necessary sales volume cannot be achieved.
Whiles sales of the current C1 were satisfactory with 10,600 units in the year 2001, the sales figures for 2002 are still below expectations even though media response is positive and public interest remains high. Prognoses show that the total sales targets for the C1 will not be achieved.
Now the BMW Group is starting talks with its production partners about how production volume can be adapted to the discernable reduced demand.
The availability of the C1 for the markets will not be affected by the reduced production. The innovative vehicle concept on two wheels will remain a component in the product range of the BMW Group beyond the year 2003 in all its colour and equipment variants.

119061195-M.jpg

REQUIEM OR LULLABY ÔÇô Just wondering.

A great variety of non car non motorcycle vehicles of two and three wheeled varieties are being built in Europe. Some are clearly targeted to commuters and city dwellers. Some are sport vehicles and are capable of some astounding feats.
If gas prices were to spike and sustain again, and concern for global warming and other environmental concerns get people out of their cars; would BMW bring back the C1 or a new variant? For all we joke, for the individual faults we are able to point to and the derision of writers such as Jeremy Clarkson; riders like Mr. Boone found it met the design purpose and their needs very satisfactorily. In the US the boom in Vespa level scooters are generating and the development of up sized step through vehicles from the Japanese big guns may cause BMW to rethink a C1 project.

119063179-M.jpg

Just Wondering.

Sources:

BMW Media Information ÔÇô
12 January 2001
05 February 2001
26 April 2001
27 April 2001
05 June 2001
31 October 2001
22 July 2002

BMW Z A: Latest News Can you believe it ÔÇô a BMW Scooter

Yahoo.com: BMW C1 v The Helmet Law

Timesonline.co.uk: By Jeremy Clarkson ÔÇô BMW C1

BMWworld.com: BMW C1 A concept takes shape

Find Articles:
The house of Bertone ÔÇô a history
The decline of the house of Bertone

kevinboone.com: The K-Zone ÔÇô BMW C1
The C1 Owners Club and Forum

BMW.C1.Club.com It

Motorcycle.com: BMW C1 City Scooter

Bikez.com: BMW motorcycles from 1970 to present day

What I learned from MIKA today!

After watching all the YouTube videos more questions than answers:

How do they get those pictures? It must be by helicopter.
Hydration? With all that protective gear and the hot sun how does a rider carry sufficient water to remain hydrated?
The Baja 1,000 is not walk in the park.
What is YouTube? What cameras are used? How do you protect against grit?
Some of those sand shots brought back some memories of walking through some of that "stuff" in the UAR and Saudi. Nice to sit in an easy chair and watch other folks enjoy the experience.

I am starting to become a DAKAR enthusiast.

Jeremy Clarkson would spend a lot of time in the doghouse.

Mika, the more I know - the less I know.

I still wanna know what the heck that curved lever is that is loacted by the handle bars when parked. Since I haven't seen any side views of one of them moving I don't know what position the lever is in motion. :dunno

Motor31 said:
I still wanna know what the heck that curved lever is that is loacted by the handle bars when parked. Since I haven't seen any side views of one of them moving I don't know what position the lever is in motion. :dunno

I have done some more digging and believe it deploys the center stand. The center stand is a ride off affair and in the up position that we see in the pictures the stand is down. The rider presses down on the lever to release the stand and the lever is down alond the step through when the stand is up. Up is down and down is up. You just have to remember which thing you are talking about the lever or the stand.

Yesterday I posted this in reply to your question:
I wondered about the lever also. All the information that I have is elegantly unclear as to what the lever is. Through investigation and a process of elimination I am down to three possible answers.

1. It is the central release for the seatbelts. In day to day use this would be convenient for quick release upon arrival. In the case of an accident you would find yourself on you side or you head and thus the central release lever would make it easy for you or a rescuer to release the belts and get you out.
2. It somehow deploys and retracts the center stand. The red button behind it may be the central seatbelt release.
3. It activates the emergency rocket assisted ejection feature for the C1 command pod.

Crash test videos are in the next segment.

Back