• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 27 December 2006

mika

Still Wondering
The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop for motorcycling information.

TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

118958697-M.jpg

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

BMW Motorrad Club Guatemala

Founded:
4/15/2004

Mario Enriquez (marioe@open-consult.com)
7801 NW 37th St.
Miami, FL 33166 Guatemala

Meetings:
First Tuesday of every month
7 p.m.
At the BMW dealer place

Events:
Club Rally
Workshop days and breakfast on weekends

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

Community%20Park.jpg

Village of Slinger Parks and Recreation

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Digital-Phootograpy-School.com: Okay so it is after Christmas, here are 16 digital photography tips for Christmas picture taking. An interesting site that I will be digging into for a while.

Bikes in the Fast Lane.com: Airbag for motorcycles. These videos are Dutch tests of an unidentified model.

HondaWoldwide.com: This is HondaÔÇÖs motorcycle airbag press release from September.

HondaWorldwide.com: Here is a link to a dozen pictures of the airbag setup.

They continue with this report ÔÇô
Motorcycle
Airbag System
. Honda has been at this since 1990.

motorauthority.com: Ford and Toyota are considering partnering.

Beer News:

GIZMODO.com: Christmas by the numbers.
Recalls:

Book Review:

Packing Light Packing Right!
The Sound Rider! Guide to Motorcycle Packing

By: Tom Mehren

Sound Rider advertised this book prior to publication. Curiosity led me to buy the book and see what it had to offer. I received the book shortly before Thanksgiving and have had mixed emotions as to how to review it.

I had troubles figuring out what it reminded me of. Then I realized that it is like many business documents that I have read or written. Often in business we give our staff complex topics to examine, define the issues and report back with that information and propose recommendations. The work is you want from them is a concise and you expect them to stand behind their recommendations. Packing Light Packing Right fits that bill.

Tom Mehren lays out his purpose in the opening sentence of his introduction, This book I meant to be a useful guide to motorcycle touring. On the opposite page is a warning that, Items marked with SR! in this book can be purchased online through the Sound RIDER! store The book is not a dispassionate arms length treatise on the subject. There are times when this would disqualify a book for consideration, but this is not an academic exercise. The reader does need to be aware of the economic stake the author has in the book and weigh it against the recommendations that he makes.

Pick any topic and the pattern is simple. The topic is defined simply and then the author recommends his solutions to meet the needs of the issue. The information in the book is presented in the same manner as the business paper you would expect and as the title suggests. It is packed with concisely and lightly with the right information for you to make your final executive gear decision.

There are three kinds of readers for this type of book. The first is a new rider looking to gear up the first time, the second an experienced rider ready to redo his gear, and the experienced person looking for validation of their choices. The first two will find help in this book. The latter

The new rider could not go wrong with most of the suggestions in the book. They may not learn a lot about the whys but there are practical answers to meet their needs. If they purchase base on MehrenÔÇÖs recommendations they will have good gear that will last a long time.

Seasoned riders often have definite ideas about what they want from gear and the experience to back it up. What they often lack is familiarity with new products available to them when they need to replace or upgrade gear. They will find excellent options in here also.

If you are looking to validate your vanity as the touring gear expert donÔÇÖt spend your money. This book is opinionated but without the passion you are looking to argue with if you disagree with the authors recommendations.

About the author.

Writer, publisher of the book and Sound RIDER!, list maker, former back packer, lecturer on touring and gear, and avid rider. The book is the synthesis of all this experience.

Publisher: Tom Mehren

Mixed Media
2226 Eastlake Ave E #69
Seattle, WA 98102
www.mm411.com

Table of Contents

Introduction
1. The Basics
2. Riding Gear Selection
3. Storage
4. Motorcycle Stuff
5. Clothing to Pack
6. Personal Stuff
7. Information & Currency
8. Gadgets & Otherwise
9. Survival Basics
10. Little Helpers
11. Overnight
12. Shower Kit
13. Before and After the Ride
14. Ready for the Journey

$19.95 www.soundrider.com/store

Gear:

Long Term Book Review: Packing Light Packing Right!

I fall into the category of rider that is beginning to replace his gear. The book appealed on that level. I am planning to go through my gear in preparation for next season. I am going to use the book organize that goal. I plan on sharing what I learn about gear and the book in the process. Think of it as a long term book review.

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Bike Candy:

118966202-M.jpg

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

Dakar 2007

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

Dakar Rally News via topix.net

Mobileindustry.biz: EA launches Dakar 2007 for mobiles.

118965983-M.jpg

NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers ÔÇô Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

118966124-M.jpg
118966048-M.jpg

IOMTT

iomtt.com: Oz-some talent
PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

What I learned from MIKA today!

Found a new Digital Photography site. Nice job on the basics especially a reminder to fill the frame.

From the site,
"11. Fill your Frame

One of the most common mistakes I see in Christmas photos (or any party/even photography) is that people often end up with shots of their subjects off in the distance on the other side of a room with lots of space around them. Fill your frame with your subject either by using your zoom or getting up and moving yourself closer. While this is one of the simplest tips I ever give it is one that can have the most profound impact on your shots.
"

Great reminder. It is always easier to fill the frame and work from a big image than have clutter in the shot that has to be removed on the computer screen.

Back