• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Morning Reads: 16 January 2007

mika

Still Wondering
The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of a BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop shop for motorcycling information.

TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

favGuitar.jpg

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

club: Generic Motorcycle Club, #139 founded: 10/1/1984
c/o Pat Kohlscheen
Smithville, MO 64089 US
meetings: No certain time

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

image3.jpg

Algoma WI lighthouse

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Miami.com: Rick and Rita Case aim for the worlds largest motorcycle dealership.

The Kneeslider has been running a series of posts about variant choppers with double V engines. I have skipped them until today. Classic meets custom in the Twindian ÔÇô Twin Engine Indian motorcycle, story from The Kneeslider.

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

BWM Motorrad SA ÔÇô The workshops: Batteries

Riding Skills:

Motorcyclelistonline.com: 50 ways to save your life

Manufacturer of the Day:

DESPORADO MOTORCYCLES

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

All things BMW

Motorauthority.com:Suppliers confirm BMW X-6 production.

BMW Group PressClub Canada:

A year of records for BMW Motorrad:
100,000 motorcycles produced and sold for the first time, and over 2 million motorcycles in its entire history

January,15th 2007

Munich. 2006 was a year of superlatives for BMW Motorrad. On December 15th, an annual production of 100,000 motorcycles was achieved at the Berlin plant for the first time ever, and in sales too the magic figure of 100,000 units was exceeded for the first time. Exactly 100,064 BMW motorcycles were sold worldwide ÔÇô the highest number ever supplied by the company to customers in a single year. As compared to the previous year (97,474 units) this means a sales increase of 2.7 per cent. And the company can boast yet another proud statistic for 2006: in December the number of all BMW motorcycles produced since 1923 reached the two million mark. By the end of the year a total of 2,061,977 motorcycles had been produced, 1,616,016 having come off the production lines of the motorcycle plant in Berlin-Spandau since 1969.

In keeping with the companyÔÇÖs roots, the 100,000th motorcycle was a flat twin ÔÇ£BoxerÔÇØ, an unfaired R 1200 R in Nocturnal Black non-metallic fitted with Integral ABS.

Hermann Bohrer, head of production of the Berlin plant since September, was very pleased: ÔÇ£100,000 is great symbol for the work done here in the plant in recent years. This kind of thing can only be achieved with a strong, well-motivated workforce. Six new models have been a big challenge to the plant. I would like to thank all colleagues: it was their efforts that made this great success possible.ÔÇØ

The foundation for increased production was laid by investments made in past years. Some 117 million euros was spent on developing motorcycle production in the Berlin plant between 2001 and 2003. Today it is regarded as one of the most state-of-the-art motorcycle plants in the world.

Sales results mainly achieved in Western Europe
The markets in Western Europe accounted for the lionÔÇÖs share of the impressive sales results. In Germany, a total of 23,617 units had been supplied as of December, making BMW Motorrad the market leader in its home territory. Advance sales due to the imminent VAT increase resulted in a surge in sales towards the end of the year. For Rodger Bothmann, head of motorcycle sales in Germany, 2006 was an unusual year: ÔÇ£We presented five new models at INTERMOT and gave the market important impulses with the new single-cylinder models of the G 650 cross series, the K 1200 R Sport and the HP2 Megamoto. We will continue the success of this product offensive in 2007.ÔÇØ

The second strongest market for the company was Italy with 13,651 units, followed by the USA (12,825 units) and Spain (10,002 units).

The R 1200 GS ÔÇô along with its sibling model Adventure - achieved phenomenal sales success with 31,138 units. Not only is it the market leader by a long way among the large-volume enduro motorcycles, it is probably one of the best-selling motorcycle model worldwide in the category over 500 CC. Ranking in second place in terms of popularity of BMW motorcycles is the travel touring bike R1200 RT with 13,384 units. The single-cylinder model F 650 GS and the model variation Dakar was sold 12,511 times.

The largest manufacturer of large-volume motorcycles in Europe in one decade
Within a decade BMW Motorrad has become the biggest and most successful manufacturer of large-volume motorcycles in Europe. But for Dr. Herbert Diess, the managing director of BMW Motorrad, volume increase is not the ultimate objective: ÔÇ£Our company strategy is long-term and oriented towards the permanent profitability of all products, it is not simply geared towards volume. Rankings in registration statistics are not the main focus of our interest. We invest carefully in innovations and technologies for new models, consolidating and extending our segments and market positions. This secures a strong position within the market for ourselves and our dealers.ÔÇØ

The record figures of the year 2006 mark the latest high point in an impressive success story for BMW motorcycles which started back in 1993 with the 4-valve flat twin generation and the revitalisation of the single-cylinder segment in 1994. Since then sales have been virtually tripled (from 35.219 units in 1993 to 100,064 units in 2006).

New company orientation and model offensive since 2004
The continuous extension of the model program and from 2004 the new edition of the 4-valve flat twin ÔÇ£BoxerÔÇØ ÔÇô completely redesigned - much lighter, more powerful and more agile than the predecessor generation, are further pillars of success. Today it encompasses eight different models, of which the sportiest ÔÇô the R 1200 S ÔÇô has an output of 90 kW (122 bhp).

With the 4-cylinder motorcycles of the K series, also completely redesigned, BMW Motorrad extended its range towards the high-performance motorcycle from 2004 onwards, too. This was followed by a strategic reorientation of the entire model range with significantly increased dynamic performance and sporty flair.

2006 saw a further milestone: entry into the hotly competed medium category segment with the two new models F 800 ST and F 800 S. The state-of-the-art parallel twin, unique in its design, now forms the basis for an additional model series ÔÇô the fourth ÔÇô which is to be extended in the years to come. The product spectrum is rounded off at the lower end of the scale with the single-cylinder models G 650Xchallenge, Xcountry and Xmoto, which were presented to the general public at the end of 2006.

Virtually the entire model program has been completely renewed over the last two years with 17 new motorcycles having been launched since 2004. The current vehicle range is divided into four core segments: Sports, Touring, Urban and Enduro. There are a total of 20 different models ÔÇô from the 650 cc hard enduro to the 4-cylinder high-performance sports machine with 1200 cc and 122 kW (167 bhp). It is the biggest, most diverse and most fascinating model program of all times. Dynamic performance and power have become the new trademarks of BMW motorcycles, combined with traditional values such as ecological compatibility, safety and reliability.

Look ahead to 2007
BMW Motorrad starts out into 2007 with five new models. The new single-cylinder series with the models G 650 Xchallenge, Xcountry and Xmoto, and the K 1200 R Sport will all be available from dealerships in Germany from March 10th 2007, the HP2 Megamoto follows in late spring.

Bike Candy:

IMG_3152.jpg

Batteries?...BATTERIES?? I got your stinking batteriesFrom: Electricmotorcycles.com

Page 2

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

IOMTT

iomtt.com: Lap record confusion.

iomtt.com: Influx of sidecar newcomers for 2007

F-1

BBCMotorsport.com: Alonso tips himself to win title.

Pitpass.com: Pictures from McLaren launch

Motorsport.com: New McLaren debuts on the street.

Planet-f1.com: Newey plays down expectations for Red Bull RB3

dakar2007_08_c.jpg

Eurosport.com: Live Stage 10

Motorsport.com

Standings

Bike
Car
Truck[/url

Results

[url=http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=241166]Bike

Car
Truck

Volkswage
Petersen/White Lightning
Stage 9 quotes
Stage 9 notes

Misubishi hold one two
Team Repsol
BMW X-Raid
Gauloise
KTM
Mitsubishi
Volkswagen

EUROSPORT.com

De Villers gutted over fire
Historic win for Vinters
: Clarlos Sainz admits defeat

Other
BBCMotorsport.com: Schelsser claims Dakar stage win.

AdvRider.com

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

EuroSport.com: Live updates

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

Dakar 2007: Topix.net

X-Raid.de: BMW X-Raid

Dakar Rally News via topix.net
NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers ÔÇô Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

THE END

What I learned from M1KA today!

Stop what you doing and read

50 Ways To Save Your Life

Quick Quiz: ItÔÇÖs the leading cause of single-bike accidents on twisty roads and racetracks. What is it? Not sure? :brow

Might be worth the time to read the article and add it as a bookmark.

Good one Mika!

Last edited:
Just went through the "50 Ways to Save Your Life". Most I do every time I ride but a couple were stuck in the back of the brain and needed to be moved forward. Thanks for posting them. A little review is always a good thing.

Thanks you but ...

M1KA is the man!

I only read his good stuff and pass along something that struck my fancy.

You guys are going to make me blush or break out in hives.

With all due respects to Paul it is not about me. It is about finding things in your travels through life and sharing them on the forum.

I wish I could figure out a way to motivate more discussion. So many times when there is a post in response to a Morning Read I learn something that I missed in the first reading of the post.

:wave

Back