• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Memorial Day Thoughts

dennisdarrow

#4869 Earned Lifetime mem
A fellow Veteran sent me this the other day. It does point out that one never knows who you are really talking to. God bless OUR Country........Dennis

As I came out of the supermarket that sunny day, pushing my cart of groceries towards my car, I saw an old man with the hood of his car up and a lady sitting inside the car, with the door open.

The old man was looking at the engine. I put my groceries away in my car, and continued to watch the old gentleman from about twenty five feet away.

I saw a young man in his early twenties with a grocery bag in his arm walking towards the old man. The old gentleman saw him coming too, and took a few steps towards him.

I saw the old gentleman point to his open hood and say something. The young man put his grocery bag into what looked like a brand new Cadillac Escalade. He then turned back to the old man. I heard him yell at the old gentleman saying:

'You shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car at your age.' And then with a wave of his hand, he got in his car and peeled rubber out of the parking lot.

I saw the old gentleman pull out his handkerchief, and mop his brow as he went back to his car and again looked at the engine.

He then went to his wife and spoke with her; he appeared to tell her it would be okay. I had seen enough, and I approached the old man. He saw me coming and stood straight, and as I got near him I said, 'Looks like you're having a problem.'

He smiled sheepishly, and quietly nodded his head. I looked under the hood myself, and knew that whatever the problem was, it was beyond me. Looking around, I saw a gas station up the road, and I told the old man that I would be right back. I drove to the station and went I inside. I saw three attendants working on cars. I approached one of them, and related the problem the old man had with his car. I offered to pay them if they could follow me back down and help him.

The old man had pushed the heavy car under the shade of a tree and appeared to be comforting his wife. When he saw us he s! traightened up and thanked me for my help. As the mechanics diagnosed the problem (overheated engine), I spoke with the old gentleman.

When I shook hands with him earlier, he had noticed my Marine Corps ring and had commented about it, telling me that he had been a Marine too. I nodded and asked the usual question, 'What outfit did you serve with?'

He said that he served with the first Marine Division at Guadalcanal Pelieliu, and Okinawa .

He had hit three of the worst ones, and retired from the Corps after the war was over. As we talked we heard the car engine come on and saw the mechanics lower the hood. They came over to us as the old man reached for his wallet, but was stopped by me. I told him I would just put the bill on my AAA card.

He still reached for the wallet and handed me a card that I assumed had his name and address on it, and I stuck it in my pocket. We all shook hands all around again, and I said my goodbye's to his wife.

I then told the two mechanics that I would follow them back up to the station. Once at the station, I told them that they had interrupted their own jobs to come along with me and help the old man. I said I wanted to pay for the help, but they refused to charge me.

One of them pulled out a card from his pocket, looking exactly like the card the old man had given to me. Both of the men told me then that they were Marine Corps Reserves. Once again we shook hands all around and as I was leaving, one of them told me I should look at the card the old man had given to me. I said I would and drove off.

For some reason I had gone about two blocks, when I pulled over and took the card out of my pocket and looked at it for a long, long time. The name of the old gentleman was on the card in golden leaf and under his name was written: 'Congressional Medal of Honor Society.'
I sat there motionless, looking at the card and reading it over and over. I looked up from the card and smiled to no one but myself and marveled ! that on t! his day, four Marines had all come together because one of us needed help. He was an old man all right, but it felt good to have stood next to greatness and courage, and an honor to have been in his presence.

Remember, as we approach another Memorial Day, OLD men like him gave you, and all of us, FREEDOM for America .
Thanks to those who served and still serve, and to all of those who supported them, and who continue to support them.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free. Thousands have paid the price, so that you can enjoy what you have today.
LET'S DO THIS: JUST 19 WORDS:
GOD OUR FATHER, WALK THROUGH MY HOUSE AND TAKE AWAY ALL MY WORRIES; AND PLEASE WATCH OVER AND HEAL MY FAMILY; AND PLEASE PROTECT OUR FREEDOMS, AND WATCH OVER OUR TROOPS, WHO ARE DEFENDING THOSE FREEDOMS. AMEN​

Dennis,
Thank you for posting that.
I am always proud to be an American and a Viet Nam vet (Air Force).
Sometimes we all forget to show our pride and thanks for all who gave us the opportunity to live in this great country as we do.

To those serving, retired, etc THANK YOU. For those that gave thier last full measure THANKs' just doesn't say enough, you and your families are in my prayers.

I just returned from a morning trip to the cemetery to pay my respects to my late father in law in honor of Memorial day.

On my way to and from the cemetery, I passed through 3 different communities.

I was appalled and disgusted to not see a single flag at half staff.
Not a single one!

Government buildings, businesses or residences, no one had their flags displayed respectfully.

It is a sad thing to see such colossal ignorance and disrespect to the memory of our fighting men and women who gave their lives in service to their country.

A sad day indeed.

Warren

To absent friends, Brothers and Sisters in Arms. Thank you and may you rest in peace.

:usa
:thumb

I am glad our area still honors properly. The Daddow-Isaacs American Legion Post 672 held its 75th Memorial Day Parade and Services today. The parade began at 9:00am sharp proceed east on route 415 to the monument in the center of Dallas ( Pa. ). Upon completion of a short service the procession resumed to the local cemetery.

The Lions Club of the same community is honoring our veterans by having banners featuring a veteran complete with a military photograph of them, rank, branch of service, time served and being displayed on the street poles of town through Veterans Day. The banners are sponsored by family, friends and the business community. I think this is a great idea for all communities.

Meanwhile all the noise makers are out and about, hot rod classic cars, motorcycles, fire trucks going to and from other parades, the boating public is in full swing and many family gatherings kicking off the season. Too noisy and not needed in my opinion.

My 86 mother said they once gathered in town for a memorial service, held a parade and all would go to the local cemetery to decorate the graves its nice to see that this has not waned too much among the three day weekend party goers.

The young man put his grocery bag into what looked like a brand new Cadillac Escalade. He then turned back to the old man. I heard him yell at the old gentleman saying:

'You shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car at your age.' And then with a wave of his hand, he got in his car and peeled rubber out of the parking lot.

I frequently point out to loud mouths, that among all the other rights the U.S. military secures, they also secure their right to be ungrateful. It usually shut them up long enough for me to walk away.

GOD OUR FATHER, WALK THROUGH MY HOUSE AND TAKE AWAY ALL MY WORRIES; AND PLEASE WATCH OVER AND HEAL MY FAMILY; AND PLEASE PROTECT OUR FREEDOMS, AND WATCH OVER OUR TROOPS, WHO ARE DEFENDING THOSE FREEDOMS. AMEN

Proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution: To be eligible to hold the office of U.S. President, Speaker of the House and/or Senate Majority Leader, one must have completed an honorable tour of service (however long or short it may be) in one of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

:thumb

I am glad our area still honors properly. The Daddow-Isaacs American Legion Post 672 held its 75th Memorial Day Parade and Services today. The parade began at 9:00am sharp proceed east on route 415 to the monument in the center of Dallas ( Pa. ). Upon completion of a short service the procession resumed to the local cemetery.

The Lions Club of the same community is honoring our veterans by having banners featuring a veteran complete with a military photograph of them, rank, branch of service, time served and being displayed on the street poles of town through Veterans Day. The banners are sponsored by family, friends and the business community. I think this is a great idea for all communities.

Meanwhile all the noise makers are out and about, hot rod classic cars, motorcycles, fire trucks going to and from other parades, the boating public is in full swing and many family gatherings kicking off the season. Too noisy and not needed in my opinion.

My 86 mother said they once gathered in town for a memorial service, held a parade and all would go to the local cemetery to decorate the graves its nice to see that this has not waned too much among the three day weekend party goers.

It's not an issue of honoring the dead properly, it's a matter of history. In your area, I can guarantee you that you have several generations of the same families in their small towns. There's a connection between the local teenagers and their grand or great-grand parents. Heck, I still own the farm that my great grandfather, a Civil war vet, purchased in 1892. And, I often ride the mountain roads that traverse the forest lands that his ancestors logged and farmed. As such, I'm "connected" to many people, living and dead) within the region and that enforces a certain form of conduct. In someways that is good, in others it's bad.

For most people, those connections are long gone, having disappeared when they, their parents or grandparents moved to new states for a better job, or whatever. Most of us live in transient suburban communities with little connection to our neighbors or village

Dennis:

Thanks for your post!

In rural America Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Independence Day, etc. are still recognized and celebrated. Unfortunately, in much of American these and other special "holidays" are just days to have a cook-out and drink cold beer. Here in rural East Texas these are still important days to remember and to reflect upon!

Back