• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

manufacture date?

rayalei

new member today. does anyone know where to find manufacture date? 67 R50 /2 vin 644275. call a dealer?

thanks in advance

Ray -

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you're working on your labor of love!

A dealer is not going to have the information you need. There are a couple of things you could do. First, is to click on the Knowledge Base on the Vintage BMW website:

https://vintagebmw.org/forum/

It's in the upper right. Then click on BMW Model Info. Put your VIN into either of the two boxes at the top...I assume that your frame and engine match each other. That takes you to a page for the R50/2 and R50US. You'll see specs for the bike. At the bottom is a PDF file which you can open. In that file you will see a list of model year and build dates that I have been collecting. Your VIN is not in there but there is one that is close, only 50ish bikes different that was built on 2/27/67. Safe to say that your bike was built short after that.

I also try and keep the same list here on the MOA forum. Check out this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50039-2-VIN-Numbers-Model-Years-and-Build-Dates

The second thing you can do is to email BMW Group Classic with your VIN and ask them what they might have in their records. Hopefully they can track your VIN down and provide more details. Sometimes they will say what type of seat it had and where it was delivered. That's about all they will have.

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

Let us know what you find out!

Kurt, thank you again. you asked to let you know what i find out and i got a response already from Andreas Harz.

said my machine 644275 was manufactured on 3/6/67 delivered to importer Butler & Smith in NYC and equipped with bench seat.

thanks for this.

I appreciate it! Interesting...from your info and the one I pointed out for 2/27/67, it would seem that BMW built around 130 bikes over just a week or so. Wow! There might be some softness in the numbers or BMW's reporting, but it's still quite the rate.

Back