• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lost bike to deer

barbeemer16

Hello, I dont say much on here but I hit a deer on my blue 2016 rt 10/20/21.Im trying to decide on another bike, Do I get another 16 blue rt for close to what Im getting from insurance or a 2018 red rt my favorite color. were their as many valve problems on the 18s as the 16s or is it a gamble on any of these years. My 2016s valves were alright with 18,800 miles on it but there was a yellowish tint that I was keeping my eye on.

Pardon my ignorance, but what valve problem are you referring to (I have a 2017 RT)?

Glad that you’re ok from the accident.

2018 will get you the updated transmission.
I have not heard of any valve problems on the 2016 bikes.
A few of the Wetheads over several years had bad cams but I don't think there were many.

What was turning yellow? Perhaps your exhaust pipes were getting a golden tint. If so, then that is normal on stainless steel pipes.

Good to hear you are getting another bike.

Last edited:
I had an '18 RT, cams replaced at 4,000 miles. Great bike except for the cam issue, which BMW took care of completely, I don't think you'd go wrong with one of them. I traded the '18 for a '21 R1250RT which I like even more.

Rules are rules…

To maintain continuity with your screen name, you’ll need to stick with a ‘16. ;)

To akbeemer's reply the cam lobes had like a yellowish tint ,but were not wearing like some pictures I seen.and about the rules I had the 2016 when I joined.I thought why not get a newer one and I sort of don't want the same one I had this accident on. Theirs a 2018 with 998 miles red I'm looking at they want $17999.I dont know why so low miles

I've got an '18 and absolutely love it. Of course, like everyone else, I hope the cam lobes don't go flat least it run like a '77 Yugo with a bad attitude. If you can find a good one that's reasonably priced then go for it. :lurk

Last edited:
To akbeemer's reply the cam lobes had like a yellowish tint ,but were not wearing like some pictures I seen.and about the rules I had the 2016 when I joined.I thought why not get a newer one and I sort of don't want the same one I had this accident on. Theirs a 2018 with 998 miles red I'm looking at they want $17999.I dont know why so low miles

Take those Foster Grants off when checking cam lobes, they can be very misleading! LOL!

Update to lost bike to deer

Well I got a 2020 RT Saturday, red,2200 miles. Is their no repair manuals yet.I know some stuff will be same as my 2016 but I want specs ,torque values for the valves and valve covers to start with.I cant wait to look at them shift-cams.

Back