• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for tire profile change information

pjar

PeteG
Earlier this year 98lee suggested I change my Battlax BT-45 from a 120/90-18 to a 130/80-18 for my K75 (105k and going strong). He mentioned it should keep the diameter very close (about 3/8" shorter) and it would give me about 3/8" wider tread. It would give me the same width and diameter as an S.

My question is this. What are the benefits of the tire profile change?

Better/worse mileage?
Faster/slower wear?
Improved handling?
More stability in wet conditions?
Does it have a significant effect on the speedometer reading?

As you can see I'm inexperienced at this stuff (physics wasn't my favorite subject).

By the way, i think the BT-45's are great tires. Feel confident in the corners and have a peace of mind at high speeds.

Many thanks to any input offered.

Pete

Shoulder Height 120/90 = 108mm
Shoulder Height 130/80 = 104mm

Total difference in diameter: 2x 4mm = 8mm = less than 1/3" (less than 3/8")

The larger footprint may result in less pressure/area thus less wear.
Wider tires usually are worse in handling. They make steering more difficult and the lower sidewall of the 130/80 may make the sidewall stiffer.
Your fuel mileage will decrease because of the lower tire (speedo reading is "fast")

All this is very theoretical and only BMW riders will ponder this. You may not recognize any difference. Get the tire that is more commonly available and less expensive.

Shoulder Height 120/90 = 108mm
Shoulder Height 130/80 = 104mm

Total difference in diameter: 2x 4mm = 8mm = less than 1/3" (less than 3/8")

The larger footprint may result in less pressure/area thus less wear.
Wider tires usually are worse in handling. They make steering more difficult and the lower sidewall of the 130/80 may make the sidewall stiffer.
Your fuel mileage will decrease because of the lower tire (speedo reading is "fast")

All this is very theoretical and only BMW riders will ponder this. You may not recognize any difference. Get the tire that is more commonly available and less expensive.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input. I imagine that breaking may be slightly improved due to the increased surface are on the road. You are correct about the cost. The 130/80's are about 5% more expensive.

Pete

Back