• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

looking at some Stainless Head pipes, has anyone used or seen these?

Chrome steel for a more authentic, 'oem' look.

Capital Cycle has been selling after-market parts and oem parts for many years. The chrome steel headers they sell should fit just fine. The Stainless headers should also fit and function. The difference in stainless and chrome is stainless wont rust but it will stain. It also turns a nice gold color instead of blue like the chrome steel variety. Stainless steel pipes will last for ever until they are damaged basically. Chrome steel will also last a long long time with the finish gradually turning dull with surface oxidation (brassing) and heat discoloration. If you decide to replace your system with chrome steel, be sure to ride at least 10 - 15 miles when you go for a putt. That distance ensures the engine gets to operating temperature and that the moisture in the exhaust system is eliminated through heat evaporation. That keeps the exhaust from rusting out prematurely. There are no such restraints with stainless. I have no idea where any of the headers you referenced were made however, the more expensive sets of after market pipes tend to fit better and be lighter too than the $99.00 complete exhaust systems occasionally advertised on the 'bay... Consider this information good for mufflers as well.

A first quality stainless header set with crossover and hardware from Keihan in the UK will set you back over $385.00 and will fit and function properly and turn gold, stain and last for ever till they are damaged. Note the words 'will fit'. BMW factory chrome steel headers are $443.00 at least for the moment sans tariffs and they 'will fit' and 'last a long long time'.

Stainless can be cleaned and a lot of the staining can be neutralized before it does discolor the finish. I use two products. S100 or MEK and wipe the pipes down then a wipe with plain water. If I need more chemicals, wd40 removes tar and a wad of OOOO steel wool remove stubborn stuff like heal marks... Good chrome generally cleans up with OOOO steel wool and wd40.

Does the bike need new headers to run or are you making a list? NOTE ON REMOVING FINNED EXHAUST NUTS to get the headers off. Often with a bike like yours that has been sitting a long time the exhaust nuts are stuck on the threaded exhaust spigots cast into the heads. Attempting to remove a stuck nut can and will result in removing the threads from your exhaust spigots. That is a major repair and can be avoided by cutting the nuts off. Look on line for a definitive discussion.

I would not touch eBay parts such as those and this is not a knock on Capital Cycle but I wouldn't buy those either. There is a LOT of offshore "chrome" junk for sale now and most of it won't last more than a few years. The original pipes lasted 20 to 30 years if treated properly.

I think the best solution is stainless pipes from Keihan in England. Tom Cutter (Rubber Chicken Racing Garage) is a US dealer for Kiehan if you do not wish to deal with Keihan in England directly. These pipes are of good quality and made by craftsmen in the UK who specialize in this area. They pass the test of time and will probably outlast your bike.

The choice I see is a buying cheap pipes a bunch of times or buying good quality stainless once. Yeah, they cost more up front but in the end the value is there.

Back