• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED winkies - R80G/S - my modification to the G/S

grahamm

I posted this to ADV rider. you might want to pick it apart or find it interesting.

Started the reassembly of the G/S. Most of sunday was building wiring harnesses for various stuff including for the new lighting at the rear. This is what I did to modify the G/S slightly to work with the nice Koso winkies. BTW they flex very nicely:) and have used them for several years on the front of the KTM and on my wike's F650

IMG_0811_zps2efa82f4.jpg

P1020308_zps221cd417.jpg

to make the stock dash indicator light work I had to alter the connection a bit and install two diodes as the ground for it cannot be achieved as it does with standard incandescent bulbs. Here is the modified wiring diagram:

r80led_zpsab0d02ea.jpg

one side of the feed to the lamp was routed to ground and the other was fed through 2 diodes, one going to each of the blinker power leads, without the diodes all the blinkers would turn on instead only L or R.

I added the diodes on this side of the red connector per the schematic attached.

P1020304_zps25f6b9fa.jpg

to make the LED winkies blink nicely I replaced the stock relay with a Motogadget m-Flash with flat male terminals crimped to the cable, this simply plugs into connection 49 and 49A of the flasher relay connection. It is polarity sensitive, plugged in the wrong way it does not blink. ground is not used, you could run the indicator ground wire to it, I did not think of that at the time and used a round terminal

P1020300_zps7f8cb67c.jpg

P1020301_zps408cc2aa.jpg

video result so far... I have not got to the front yet.

[video]http://s421.photobucket.com/user/grahamm_album/media/led/P1020307_zps12db955d.mp4.html[/video]

I did this on my bike, too... but in a different way. Thanks for showing how to wire the resistors... I would never have been able to figure that out. Please post when you figure out the front.

The stock rears are nearly indestructible (they can, however be melted, damhikt)... so I stayed with them.

IMG_3633-X2.jpg

I did this on my bike, too... but in a different way. Thanks for showing how to wire the resistors... I would never have been able to figure that out. Please post when you figure out the front.

The stock rears are nearly indestructible (they can, however be melted, damhikt)... so I stayed with them.

Given that you stayed with the standard incandescent lamps in the rear you would not need the "diodes" to make the dash indicator lamp to work.

No resistors are necessary for the LED blinkers with the M-Flasher unit, the diodes are required to make the dash indicator lamp to work. In the original circuit it pulls it's ground through the blinker lamps that are not active(if R is engaged L becomes ground for indicator), with LED blinkers the ground path is not available through the inactive lamp, hence cutting one side and putting it to ground and feeding the other side with L-R through diodes so the don't turn each other on when engaged.

so with keeping the stock lamp in the circuit you have a path to ground of the indicator.

Back