• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED Conversion

pwharton1

pwharton1
I have a 2002 R11150 RT and would like to upgrade my headlight to a compatible LED set of bulbs that would work on my bile. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! I notice you have a question about your Oilhead bike. This is the Airhead section but don't worry, one of the moderators will move this to the Oilhead section to get more eyeballs on your issue. Hang on!!

That is an H4 dual filament bulb making the high/low beam patterns difficult. I gave up trying so do not have current info on LED replacement. When last I looked folks were using the head light as low beam and adding LED driving lights for high beam. Maybe things are better now.

I'm pretty sure the headlight on an '02 R1150RT is identical to the one on an '03 R1150RT, which is what I have. I replaced both low and high beam bulbs with LED. The low beam is an H7 and it was not difficult to find an LED bulb that fits without requiring any modification to the bike's headlight assembly. I bought a Hikari H7 bulb from Amazon, but that was over a year ago and now there are DOT approved H7 bulbs with approximately the same physical dimensions.

The high beam is another story. The H3 bulb fits into a can-shaped metal and plastic holder that slides into and locks in the headlight assembly. You will have a very hard time finding an H3 bulb that both: 1) fits in that holder without requiring any modification, and 2) is bright enough to serve as a high beam bulb. I spent an evening with a Dremel tool making an H3 LED bulb fit. The increase in brightness was worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure the headlight on an '02 R1150RT is identical to the one on an '03 R1150RT, which is what I have. I replaced both low and high beam bulbs with LED. The low beam is an H7 and it was not difficult to find an LED bulb that fits without requiring any modification to the bike's headlight assembly. I bought a Hikari H7 bulb from Amazon, but that was over a year ago and now there are DOT approved H7 bulbs with approximately the same physical dimensions.

The high beam is another story. The H3 bulb fits into a can-shaped metal and plastic holder that slides into and locks in the headlight assembly. You will have a very hard time finding an H3 bulb that both: 1) fits in that holder without requiring any modification, and 2) is bright enough to serve as a high beam bulb. I spent an evening with a Dremel tool making an H3 LED bulb fit. The increase in brightness was worth the effort.

When you replaced the low beam, were you able to get the metal spring clip that holds the bulb in place to fit?
I also have an 1150RT and just can't get the spring clip back on without removing the front fairing.

While my low beam is an H3 my high beam is an H1 on the 2002

When you replaced the low beam, were you able to get the metal spring clip that holds the bulb in place to fit?
I also have an 1150RT and just can't get the spring clip back on without removing the front fairing.

The H7 bulb I used is designed with a removable rotating collar. That collar is what fits into the headlight assembly and the spring clip goes over it. Then the bulb goes into the collar and twists to lock. So the spring clip was not quite as much trouble for me, but still one of the more difficult things I've ever done in my life.

The most difficult was related to that $(*%#$*$ high beam bulb holder.

The H7 bulb I used is designed with a removable rotating collar. That collar is what fits into the headlight assembly and the spring clip goes over it. Then the bulb goes into the collar and twists to lock. So the spring clip was not quite as much trouble for me, but still one of the more difficult things I've ever done in my life.

The most difficult was related to that $(*%#$*$ high beam bulb holder.

I don't use hi beams enough to make it worth changing.
Any chance you have the link to where you got your bulb?

Back