• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leaky Left Carburetor - R100RT

It is now my carefully considered opinion that you are suffering from the discharge of crud from a fuel line (or maybe the tank). If it was truly a damaged needle or seat it would leak all or most of the time. Since it comes and goes it seems to me it is crud periodically preventing the needle from full closure.

Start by using all new fuel line, coupled with removing the fuel tank and petcocks and ensuring that there is not grit or crud in he bottom of the fuel tank.

I'll bet you're right. Reason being is I swapped floats and needles from right to left and the problem went away. I carefully examined all the parts, as well as the carburetors and I couldn't see any obvious defect. I put everything together and went for a long ride - no leaks!

The only thing I can assume is what you said is correct - some crud or debris is filtering into the carb and causing the needle to not seat properly. The bike had been sitting for 4 years when I bought it. I removed the tank and drained the old gas as well as replaced all the fuel lines. I did a visual inspection of the tank and it looked clean. But obviously it's pretty hard to tell 100%.

in-line fuel filter...

If you haven't installed them already, a couple of inexpensive in-line fuel filters would be a good idea to install between the petcocks and carbs. I use the clear ones, so I can see when they are full. Cheap (and necessary) insurance in my book.

Good luck,

ECJ

If you haven't installed them already, a couple of inexpensive in-line fuel filters would be a good idea to install between the petcocks and carbs. I use the clear ones, so I can see when they are full. Cheap (and necessary) insurance in my book.

Good luck,

ECJ

Exactly what I ordered last night - thanks!

I'm also going to drain the tank and clean out the petcocks (again).

Tank reline?

Great! Now would be the time to maybe see about whether or not you might need to reline the tank as well. Once they start to go, they don't really want to stop...

ECJ

Great! Now would be the time to maybe see about whether or not you might need to reline the tank as well. Once they start to go, they don't really want to stop...

ECJ

I did a fairly thorough inspection when I drained the tank. It was in pretty great shape.

Back