• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kent Skoug Memorial Ride Sept 11-12

JDOCKERY132445

OldBMWMaster
I RECEIVED THIS FROM JOHN AND WANTED TO SHARE IT.

Kent Skoug Memorial Ride - Blue Ridge Parkway - End to End
September 11-12, 2014

Hi Folks,

As many of you are aware, there has been talk of doing a ride to memorialize Kent Skoug. Talk has ranged from rides to Idaho, Washington, Alaska, and even Labrador. Problem is, we wanted to put something together this year yet, and our window of time for weather and scheduling time off is challenging. Since the Parkway has been "Kent's Mother Road", several of us decided to just do an "End To Ender" on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For many reasons like traffic, weather, and accommodations, we've set the actual ride dates at September 11th and 12th. I know. Weekdays. But it's the only logical way for many reasons.

This will be organized "based out of" the Asheville club, but in tribute to Kent's outreached hands, will include invitations to all Cone Butts, Knobbies, Pterodactyls, Tarheel Travelers, the ROK and ROC clubs, and about anyone else who rides a motorcycle. Please try to join us.

Plans are still sketchy, but we plan to ride Northbound from milepost 469 in Cherokee, NC. We'll have an optional get-together dinner in Cherokee on Wednesday evening (the 10th) for those planning to camp or motel stay the night prior. Lodging that night will likely be the Newfound Lodge or one of two campgrounds out Big Cove Road.

The actual ride will start assembling at the Newfound Restaurant on the morning of the 11th, with kickstands up (promptly ala Kent's style) at 10:00 am. That late start will allow folks in surrounding areas to actually leave their house that morning between 6 and 8 am should they not want to stay over on the evening of the 10th.

On the evening of the 11th, we will be having dinner, motel lodging or tent camping in Sparta, NC, at Milepost 239 on the Parkway. In the same town, different restaurant, we'll assemble early on the morning of the 12th, with kickstands up at 8:30 am.

We should end the ride at milepost "0" by late afternoon on the 12th, and cruise into Charlottesville, Virginia for an evening celebration of life and celebration of ride completion at a yet-to-be-announced restaurant. Folks will be on their own that night to choose their own motel or campground, as Charlottesville has lots of choices.

On Saturday, the 13th, folks can head home on their own, on or off the Parkway. Make your own plans for the way home... mini vacation, visit the Willville Rally, sightsee, whatever.

How much does the ride cost, what's included, and how much is structured? Cost is zero. We plan to have two breakfasts, and two dinners together at designated places at designated times (plus optional Wednesday night dinner). Everyone pays their own tab. I'll be suggesting campgrounds and motels that you may choose to stay at... clean, independent, and reasonably priced for the areas. Ride structure will be similar to the High Pass Boogie. We"ll assemble each morning, then meet again for supper. In between, you ride alone or with your chosen group of buddies. We'll network each morning, so individuals looking for riding friends can find them.

I will, however, need a reasonable guess as to how many folks are doing the ride so I can line up large enough restaurants and motels to accommodate us. If this is something you're interested in, please email me soon. I'll need your name, email, cell number, home town, club you're affiliated with, whether you'll be camping or motel staying, and if you want to opt for the Wednesday night dinner and lodging in Cherokee. I'll put you on an email list and update you as plans develop.

Lastly, you can afterwards register our ride log with the Parkway Foundation for a cool "End to Ender" pin, bike sticker, certificate, etc. Also all free.

Let me know if you're interested or have questions.

John Koenig

holoholojohn@gmail.com

Wishing you all the best on this ride....

Wishing I could be there. I was just starting to get to know Kent through the BMW RA. He was a heck-of-a guy!!!

As much as I would like to reduce the chicken strips on my tires in memory of Kent I can't swing the time off. Someone please grind a footpeg for me in Kent's honor.

Leaving this morning

I decided to make a week of riding. I am leaving the beach this morning for the BMW dealer in Charlotte; then on to JR Cigars in Statesville for a new batch of smokes. I am spending the night in Mt. Airy and then heading to Cherokee tomorrow morning. I plan on taking the long way.

I hope I see some of you on the road. My cell is, 910-262-2843. I won't answer while riding, but will return calls at rest stops.

Back