• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75C/T low seat options for 2-up?

barooo

I have a new-to-me 1987 K75T. The PO converted it to a lift-off low seat. I like the seat, but it's not good for 2-up, the passenger seat essentially doesn't exist so my wife (fairly thin) ends up sliding down into the driver's seat and pushing me up onto the tank. I like the seat for just me and like the height.

So I have two questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with the Corbin canyon dual-sport for lift-off low seat? http://www.corbin.com/bmw/8995canyon.shtml. It looks like it'd have a better passenger area, and wouldn't require modifying back to high seat. With the backrest it might be acceptable, but I think that they recommend it for the RS geometry, not the C/T standard geometry. I emailed them with a few questions, but haven't yet gotten an answer. It looks like there are lots more options for the high seat mount, so...

2. If I modify back to the high seat, what am I likely to run into? It sounds like it's about $200 in parts from the dealer. I have the high-seat battery/relay/underseat plastic box thingy, but none of the hinges, no side covers, and the lock cylinder on my bike currently is apparently empty, the PO didn't bother with locking the seat. Nor with gluing down the tankpad tabs, so it'll be really easy to do away with the tank pad if I go corbin or go back to standard.

If I just post something like "trade: K75T low seat & hardware for high seat + hardware" am I likely to get any bites? My seat is a BMW pan, recovered with leather. Very nice condition. I understand that the side covers are painted so unless I got lucky (my bike is blue) I'd have to get them painted.

Any recommendations? Or is this bike just not good for 2-up so I shouldn't waste my time? I think our little 125 cc scooter is more comfy 2-up...

Any recommendations? Or is this bike just not good for 2-up so I shouldn't waste my time? I think our little 125 cc scooter is more comfy 2-up...

I often ride two-up with my (also-slim) wife on our Sargeant low seat (that I built up in the front for me since I am much taller than the low seat is intended for).

We have no such problem but maybe that's because they are two different brands of low seat we're comparing here. But I still think the bike is great for riding-two up so don't give up on the K75 quite so fast, mate!

You could post a WTT ad here in the Flea Market or on the IBMWR Marketplace and eventually someone will want to trade their high seat for your low...Good luck in sorting it out:brad

That is about the ONLY complaint about the Low Seat on the K. Even my 10 year old doesn't like it. I have no idea WHY they did scoop the rear set just a little more to make it comfortable. You didn't say if you NEEDED the low seat or not. If so, you might look for a Sargent. If not, the BMW marketplace would be a good place to start. I like the front seat on my K. The two people who've ridden on the back have nothing good to say.

You should post a ISO Seat Swap - matter of fact I have a friend with a stock '87 K75C who might just be up for it.

HERE is a good article that details the parts to be swapped.

The standard seat can be fitted using the low seat mounting fixtures.

I have a low seat K75, and acquired a standard seat but no hardware, so I converted by using the low seat bayonets in back and the low seat front latch. I cut a hardwood spacer to mount the low seat gold-colored metal loop to the std seat so it would engage the latch hook. It took several tries with foam tape to get the spacer location and thickness right. Once I got it right, I drilled through and used two 1/4 inch bolts through the block and seat pan.

My block ended up being 1.16 inches thick. Foam tape will also be useful in properly locating the bayonets in the rear. Once the location is right, drill and screw. Do the rear first. I filed the plastic block on the rear of the tank to fit the notch in the std seat to center it properly. The rubber buttons on the underside of the seat will need a little building up. I used black Shoe Goo.

I used standard K75 side panels..

march07093.jpg

That is about the ONLY complaint about the Low Seat on the K. Even my 10 year old doesn't like it. I have no idea WHY they did scoop the rear set just a little more to make it comfortable. You didn't say if you NEEDED the low seat or not. If so, you might look for a Sargent. If not, the BMW marketplace would be a good place to start. I like the front seat on my K. The two people who've ridden on the back have nothing good to say.

I'm about 6'1", and wear about a 33" inseam in jeans (34 drags a bit, 32 comes up my calf when I sit down).

I haven't sat on a standard seat. I like the fact that I can flatfoot the bike with the low seat, and it's just barely at that, but once I ride more than a few minutes my legs might be happier with the standard seat.

Sometime soon I'll probably post a trade and see what happens. I hate to get rid of this seat because it's in good shape and suspect I'd have to recover or live with whatever I got. I guess we'll see.

You should post a ISO Seat Swap - matter of fact I have a friend with a stock '87 K75C who might just be up for it.

HERE is a good article that details the parts to be swapped.

If you talk to this friend and he is in fact interested, let me know. I'll post pictures of the bike / seat once I can, perhaps tonight or maybe sunday when I get back from my camping trip.

Back