• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 Under Tank Heat Shield

72r60/7

Anybody know which K75 models and years when the under tank heat shields were used, if at all ?

My '95 Standard K75 didn't have any when I got it and can't remember if it has any glue residue where it might have been.

My interest is from using Side Tank Panniers and not a Tankbag during the heat this summer (90°-95°). I believe they were the cause of intermittent and radical misfiring, by blocking normal air flow/cooling. The problems were remedied by a cool down period. That seemed to return the fuel supply to normal. I have used side tank bags for longer than a few years, but must have not been under the same circumstances. This summer there were no problems at highway speeds, but, after a couple of instances at lights and slow traffic in small towns the fuel pump was noticeably louder and there was lot of misfiring. Fuel in the tank was not low.

Have I heard of boiling fuel on the early K's ('85-'95) ?

I wasn't completely ignorant of the fact that the heat was extreme behind those bags. I wrongly suspected the fuel pump and after a new pump produced the same results days later, that pretty much eliminated the pump.

I mailed the tank panniers home. I must have or may have stumbled on the obvious cause as no problem for the next 1500 mi on the road or since. Still don't know exactly what the heat was affecting. A lot of things have to be as obvious as the nose on your (my) face to .............

Using a heat shield under the tank may deflect heat from the tank, but even without sidebags the heat that doesn't escape is going to be absorbed above the engine, with what could be borderline heat problems on this model. The K75RT folks must be cooking. Maybe there is an underlying problem on my bike that is causing abnormal heating. Or, I may have overheated the fuel pressure regulator casing improper function.

I did use the search engine and viewed 20 pages and reviewed 25 pages of the "Brick" section before asking about the heat shield material as I think that topic came up recently. (Probably skipped right by it too.) I even copied the recommendations for the material to use. And stored it somewhere.

I'd like to beat the forum search function with a 1/2" Rachet Wrench.

Just curious about heat shielding on these models and do I need some.

Charlie

Charlie,

According to the parts fiche, the three piece heat reflective shields only came on RTs and Ss. Probably because they felt that the standards didn't have any heat trapping fairings to overheat the tank. You might be correct to assume that your tank saddlebags are the source of your problems. The stick on heat shielding is still available, listed under RT and S applications.

:dance:dance:dance

Is this the semi-recent thread you're looking for?

I haven't ever gotten as far as you did, but I have had my fuel pretty hot. After sustained hours (8-14) at high temps (90+) I will generally see fuel vapors streaming out of the overflow near the rider's right footpeg. When it's that warm I really try not to let my tank run down more than 75% or so as that poor little pump is kept somewhat cool by the fuel around it. Heat shielding probably won't hurt!

That was for a K1100RS. A different animal with different heat production. You might want to just go with the factory tank heat shields for a K75.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

I tried using tank panniers on my K75T one summer. They didn't cause a fuel delivery issue but the blisters on my thigh caused me to rethink the whole idea. To get back to Kansas from the southeast I bought two large shop-vac crevice tools and arranged them between the panniers and the pannier pads to direct cooler air toward me. It worked as a good McGiver fix.

Back