• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just want music in my helmet

brucepatt

What recommendations do you have for a "simple" Bluetooth helmet device that can be paired with the stereo unit on my 2016 R1200RT? No GPS, no phone calls while riding, no intercom, etc. I'm even surprised that I'm asking, because a stereo on a motorcycle runs afoul of what motorcycling is to all my senses. In 52 years of riding, I've sung a lot in my head. And anything that overrides the sounds of my machine and other traffic is a safety hazard. Still, out on the desert, since it came with the bike, thought I'd give it a try if the cost is low. Not to ignite another "oil thread"-like brush fire.... I should add that I wear the Mighty Plugs putty-ear plugs, which knock out wind noise. So what do say?

If you want full compatibility with your BMW (wonder wheel controls volume) I think your only choice is the BMW Communicator from your dealer.

Thanks, Kent. That's pretty costly. Was hoping for a cheap alternative as it's not that important to me. I'll spend the money on a seat instead!

I use a Sena 3S. Installed in my full face helmet, I find clarity and volume to be excellent, even at highway speeds and with earplugs in. At less than $90 shipped from Amazon, I've been very happy with it.

As was mentioned, your best bet, would be one of the Sena products. While the BMW Helmet Communication System will be the best bet for full integration with the RTW, as you say, you're looking for something where "the cost is low", which definitely excludes the $456 BMW system. Besides the BMW system is quite inferior to the Sena in it's specs and abilities (aside from BMW integration) and not well supported.

Look at the Sena SMH5 ($97) and SMH-10 ($157). Not sure if the 35S-W ($90) would work or not and think the SMH5 is a better option at that end of things.
Sena: http://www.sena.com/product/smh5/
Revzillla: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh5-bluetooth-headset-universal-mic

Yes it will do a lot more than just play your music, if you want, but you don't need to pair anything you don't want, so you get to choose what features you want to enable.

Each person is somewhat different in what they're looking for. I'm almost the polar opposite in that I have mine for the GPS and phone (allows me to ride when I might not otherwise be able to), and virtually never ever listen to music. But that's the beauty of it, you can choose what suits your interests.

The other great thing about going that route is that if you ever do decide you wish to have any of the other feature, they're right there to be enabled.

I'm very much in favour of having as universal a system as possible. I have several bikes (3 BMWs) and only one, my RTW, has the wonderwheel or any on-board interface at all, so I could not ever think of going the BMW Helmet Communication System route as that would mean giving up the significant advantages my Sena SMH-10 provides me when riding my R90S or Norton Commando. Besides, buying the BMW system now would be a very expensive route unless you are quite certain that you'll just have your 2016 BMW and not be getting a newer BMW in the next several years as they likely won't be compatible with the BMW Helmet Communication System for too much longer. Schuberth, who I believe makes the BMW Helmet, has switched over from Cardo to Sena for their new helmets so the Cardo based BMW system will likely disappear when BMW switch over to Sena as well. How long that will take is anyone's guess, but, Schuberth has already started it and the new C4 (April 2017) and others using the Sena sourced SC1 communications system. Once they switch over completely there will likely be too small a market for the BMW system to continue on it's own, and they're already so far behind the curve.

You mentioned using ear plugs. I don't know for certain, but I think you'd need to go to the SMH-10 to get an easy setup to plug in a set of ear buds as I think the SM5 mic and speakers use the one socket while the SMH-10 uses dedicated sockets.

I have a Cardo G9. There are newer models.

Works great for music and that is its main use. GPS voice is an extra, with no real complication.

Don't get something you will have to replace in a year...

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Just to be sure...will the Sena SCM5 pair with the RTW's system so I can use the bike's tuner for radio and to play a USB source?

Yes, it will pair. My GSA has the NAV 5 unit and I pair my Sena SMH-10 to it. All of my music is on the GPS, and I can toggle between the songs using the wonder wheel. I haven't figured out how (or if) to adjust the volume with the wheel, so I just use the jog dial on the Sena for that function.

Back