• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do you keep someone off the road?

I'd be happy if we ALL had to take driving tests at regular intervals. What I learned at 16 isn't necessarily well retained 20 years later. My driving habits are mostly that, habits, not the product of education, skill, and understanding.

I wouldn't mind that, provided that steps were taken to make it a halfway tolerable process. I wouldn't mind taking a test, but I would mind having to kill an entire day at the RMV in order to do it. Also, there should be some provision such that if you took the test, say, 30 years after first having gotten your license, a failure wouldn't necessarily get your license taken away (i.e., you could have a provisional renewal), and you would get a timely (i.e. within 1 month) retest.

.... could we make that 60 maybe? However, I do understand your point. My night vision is beginning to suck a bit so I try and modify things to suit it. Overall though, I think everyone should be tested under many types of driving conditions (for example, just look at those who get a license in the summer and then get out and drive in the snow come winter). As a side note, one of the things that I taught my two sons (a few years ago) to do is slolem in reverse using mirrors (on a cage with standard tranny of course). A fun game. Maybe we should be more selective and stringent as in Europe. -Bob (60 minus 2)

Sure, you are in your 50's and want it to be 60. Those of us in our 60's want it to be those 70 and over. etc. etc. etc.

I hope to have the good sense to stop when it is time. Age alone is not the determining factor and should not be.

Look at the MOA mileage contest winner!

Demonstrated ability on a regular basis seems to make sense.

I wouldn't mind that, provided that steps were taken to make it a halfway tolerable process. I wouldn't mind taking a test, but I would mind having to kill an entire day at the RMV in order to do it. Also, there should be some provision such that if you took the test, say, 30 years after first having gotten your license, a failure wouldn't necessarily get your license taken away (i.e., you could have a provisional renewal), and you would get a timely (i.e. within 1 month) retest.

Agreed.

Anything would be an improvement, IMHO.

I'd be happy if we ALL had to take driving tests at regular intervals. What I learned at 16 isn't necessarily well retained 20 years later. My driving habits are mostly that, habits, not the product of education, skill, and understanding.

Can you imagine the havoc you would have at the DMV. In most cities, registering a car when you buy it takes most of the day. If you added a test and everyone taking it, it would take forever even if they tripled the number of employees. The new requirements for passports for going to and from Canada and Mexico has backlogged the government for months and think of the small number of people who do that as compared to the number who drive. It's bad when an idea that is good in theory meets up with reality.

Impounding the car and making it stick are going to be tough things to do unless there is a statute to allow it. There are constitutional issues with a govt. entity taking legally owned property without compensation as a general rule. Remember her possession of the property (car) is not illegal, just her operation of it on the roadway.

If her license is suspended that's about all the State can do for it.

She would have to be adjudicated as incapable of caring for herself or being a danger to herself and others before she could be involuntarily committed to some kind of care. Just bad driving wouldn't cut it but could be a factor in a commitment hearing. If there is family they could do it easier than the State could.

It's a tough situation and as the population age shifts higher and higher it will come up more often.

Exactly. And until the state revokes or suspend the D/L, they can LEGALLY drive. Doesn't matter if they're gonna kill someone in the process.

And even after their license is yanked, much like others who think nothing of driving with a suspended or revoke license, they'll still drive. Like the woman in the article, most of these folks think that there is nothing wrong with their driving (kinda like a drunk.....)

I have a friend of mine who is about 80 years old and in the advancing stages of Alzheimers. Lucky for him, he has a loving family to care for him. And although my deputies know full well that he is incapable of driving, his license is still good, and in the words of a deputy "His license is valid and doesn't expire for several months, if he wants to drive, there isn't a damned thing we can do about it". WA DOL is dragging their feet on suspending it. --sigh--

Tell me about it!

Our family tried every legal route to get my Mother's licence lifted and there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop her driving (in her 90s.) I finally "stole" the car and when she broke her hip the doctor was able to order a test to determine if she was still physically able to drive. During the test she sped up to go through 3 yellow lights (something she had been doing for 70 years, and something I am still guilty of.) She passed a school bus with it's lights flashing, hit both the median and the curb etc. They pulled her licence, thank heavens.

Now I tell myself that I will voluntarily stop at 80 or sooner if I think I need to. I hope I will have the courage to do so but it will be very hard giving it up. As it is, I have severe osteoporosis and shouldn't be riding a motorcycle, but I just can't give it up. Not only that, but I ride alone--10,000 km. last year. Not exactly what an objective observer would consider logical behaviour. At least I won't be hurting someone else.

Holly

I really think anyone over 55 years old should take a drivers test at least once every two years. Written, and driving around test.

There are so many people that should be driving that are... One of reason I want to move to Europe... They have there problems, but not nearly as bad as it here.

55??!! I'm 55 and I'm a better driver now than I was in my 20s. I'd go along with tests at 75 years of age.

55??!! I'm 55 and I'm a better driver now than I was in my 20s. I'd go along with tests at 75 years of age.

Wonder why many insurance companies give discounts for people 55 years old and then take it away when people get to their mid 70s.

Back