• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Here's a new one!

jamesevans

Never being one to follow the road more travelled or more expensive, I added some 10W LED lightbars from CARID (69.95 pair)for extra conspicuity to my 20009 R1200RT. They are 7.5" long, about an inch high, 800 lumens each, and being different I mounted them on top of the mirrors (photos to follow when I clear up the shop a bit) as I didn't want them unsprung.
What attracted me to these particular lights is that they change to amber with the turn signals. I wired them through a fuse and switch direct from the battery then took a feed off the coloured (not brown, which I presume is ground) wire from the turn signals.
All works great EXCEPT: when the flashers turn on the LEDS stay white, when they go off they turn amber! It's a spectacular light show, particularly with the four-way flashers, but I think I'd rather have them in sync. Turn signal speed is normal, there aren't any blown-bulb indications on the dash or anything.
Anyone got any ideas?

Roses are red
Violets are red
The grass is red
Mower accident:p

Not to criticize but if conspicuity is what you are after mounting the lights low and creating a "triangle" of light with the headlight might be a better idea.

I take your point about the "triangle of light". The distance from the low beam to the fender bolt is 19", to my lights is 15" : so I think I've achieved that, plus they are wider and higher and so more visible in traffic. That was my thinking, anyway: as I say, I prefer the road less travelled.
On careful inspection I see the lights are only partly out of phase: they certainly show up, anyway. Here are some photos image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

If the normal color conventions flow, brown is the 'tail light' positive wire. This is the dim marker light yo9u see on a tail-light, not the bright turn signal/brake light. That might help?

the coloured wire I connected to must be positive as the LED wouldn't light otherwise. Or could it be that the LED is seeing enough of a positive current though the turn signal lamp to trigger it? My knowledge of Ohm's Law is pretty rusty but that seems possible. However, I don't want to muck about with the wiring any more on the chance it might work. Any electric experts out there?

If the normal color conventions flow, brown is the 'tail light' positive wire. This is the dim marker light yo9u see on a tail-light, not the bright turn signal/brake light. That might help?[/QUOT

Europe (i.e., Bosch) does not adhere to any "American" color code ... brown is ground.

Last edited:
I could only see two wires on the turn signal - brown one side of the lamp, blue/red stripe on the other (on one side) and a similarly striped wire and a brown on the other side. I don't recall which side was which. I'm not bothered enough to get in there and re-wire it: it shows up well anyway. Next time, though, I think I'll just spend the money and get a proper setup. The lights are pretty cheap-looking and only time will tell how they last. But what the heck, it whiled away a wintry weekend!:)

Back