• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help get Randy to Nova Scotia

It's a tough call with the ferries, but I'm thinking I should take it at least in one direction for the experience. Besides, I like boats. One the other hand I miss out on some good roads.

It's funny, I hadn't even thought about the Lobster aspect when I planned this trip until Brooksie brought it up. By the time I leave Nova Scotia and Maine, lobster will be on the endangered species list. :eat

RTRandy said:
I've heard too many good things about Blue Ridge Parkway and would probably want to try and include a run along it. Where abouts does it start and end??

It starts in NC and ends up in Virginia. The northern end of it is known as Skyline Drive.

It'll be heavily trafficked and patrolled that time of year. The speed limit is some ridiculously low speed as well, if I recall.

RTRandy said:
I'm going to be highlighting these sugestions on my maps especially anytime the "L" word is used ( Lobster). Route 9 looks good.

After I pass through Calais, it looks like it turns into Route 1 in Canada and I notice in St Johns shows a ferry route across to around Digby, Nova Scotia.
Have you taken it over from there?

we were riding up in this region for a SS1K earlier this year and rt 9 is strange, no towns, just a bunch of S47-L19 and T457-0 type places cause no one lives out there, you can really scream on that road. st johns is a pretty quick hop from calais..........

RTRandy said:
It's a tough call with the ferries, but I'm thinking I should take it at least in one direction for the experience. Besides, I like boats. One the other hand I miss out on some good roads.

It's funny, I hadn't even thought about the Lobster aspect when I planned this trip until Brooksie brought it up. By the time I leave Nova Scotia and Maine, lobster will be on the endangered species list. :eat

The "lobster pounds" are OK, but you can buy lobsters in just about every grocery store as well. Find a decent sized grocery store and head back to the fish/butcher counter. They'll probably have a tank full of lobsters there. They can steam them for you while you shop. Chicken lobsters, which are less than a pound and a half, are generally cheap and tasty.

Don't overlook the lobster's slightly less glamorous dinner companion, the steamed clam. Steamers are a vital part of the New England clambake and are often overlooked. I like the littlenecks. Mussels are excellent too and aren't as chewy as clams.

RTRandy said:
I've heard too many good things about Blue Ridge Parkway and would probably want to try and include a run along it. Where abouts does it start and end??

Cherokee, NC to Waynesboro, VA (Front Royal, VA if you include Skyline Dr.)
Under 500 miles and two days of riding, maybe a day and a half.

RTRandy said:

:type Boats. Well, if you like boats why not look at crossing over to Prince Edward Island (what! more lobster? :clap :thumb ) on your way back. Take the boat out of Pictou, Nova Scotia travel from the east end of island and head to Charlottetown and then on to Bordon and cross that wonderful new bridge to the mainland (long and high). You pay only coming off the island so boat is easy on/off and bridge has no wait at all.

BTY there can be a line up in Calais. It's usually much worse coming from the Canadian side crossing to Calais (although, even with a trailer, I have usually done a little curbside weaving to work my way up to the Duty Free. It's right across from the border crossing bridge so, in essence, you go close to the head of the line).
-Bob

Did anyone mention carrying your own tie-downs, if you ferry the bike? You don't want the RT looking like King Kong, tied up in big hulking chains.

Did someone mention Lobster and Gaspe?Gaspe ride photos

N.s.

Randy: you may want to check out the thread I started about heading to NS for the TT Races in September. Some good advice was offered. Enjoy the planning and trip.

End of the world

If up around Northern Maine, stop at the end of Rt 1 (Fort Kent) or is it the begining of a long trail to Key West Florida? :dunno Truely, the wold drops off here.

Todd
98 R1100R
2000 Harley MT 500 :dunno

KBasa said:
Don't overlook the lobster's slightly less glamorous dinner companion, the steamed clam. Steamers are a vital part of the New England clambake and are often overlooked. I like the littlenecks. Mussels are excellent too and aren't as chewy as clams.

Don't you worry about me. Just tie a bib on me and stand back. :eat

tourunigo said:
: Take the boat out of Pictou, Nova Scotia travel from the east end of island and head to Charlottetown and then on to Bordon and cross that wonderful new bridge to the mainland (long and high). You pay only coming off the island so boat is easy on/off and bridge has no wait at all. -Bob

This looks like a fun thing to do. How are the roads on Prince Edward Island?

Any merritt to try and head further west on Route 2 once I'm over that bridge and crossing back into the US at Houlton?

MarkF said:
Cherokee, NC to Waynesboro, VA (Front Royal, VA if you include Skyline Dr.)
Under 500 miles and two days of riding, maybe a day and a half.

I might have to save this road for another trip due to trying to have time up north.. My sister lives in Charleston, SC and I may be able to tie this in on an upcoming visit. Plus, it's possible I could do this on a fall trip when hopefully it's less congested.

pedrocasper said:
Randy: you may want to check out the thread I started about heading to NS for the TT Races in September. Some good advice was offered. Enjoy the planning and trip.

I believe I read that. The rub is I can't get away that long in the month of September.

Montana said:
Did anyone mention carrying your own tie-downs, if you ferry the bike? You don't want the RT looking like King Kong, tied up in big hulking chains.

Are you serious? It's not like you have ferry boats in Missoula.

Does anyone have ferry experience with their bikes? The Seattle area uses them extensively and I'm not sure what the solution is for securing bikes or cars for that matter. Surely they've figured out that metal chains can be a problem. Yes?

Tie Downs

Last summer when crossing from Baymouth to Tobermory on the Chi-Cheemaun on Lake Huron, the crew gave me ropes to tie my bike to the steel rings in the deck floor. Initially I used their ropes, but then doubted my knot skills. I do carry tie downs in the tail of my bike and I used them to keep the bike in place during the rough crossing. The tie downs take up little space in the tail and certainly came in handy. I also figure that if I ever need a tow, they would be handy on a tilt and load truck, in case the tow truck driver should have only chains.

Paul

I've looking at doing the same area, was there as a kid and loved the area. Try to make it to Prince Edward Island too, if you can. There is a little town called Sea Cow Pond on the north-western tip that I want to go to just
for the sake of saying I've been there, I mean with a name like that, how can you resist? And view across the water should be awsome looking north into the land of the midnight sun. Good luck on your plans its a stunning area, folks are great and very laid back. You gotten a ton of good info here, go for it by all means, you won't regret having gone.

RM

RTRandy said:
I might have to save this road for another trip due to trying to have time up north.. My sister lives in Charleston, SC and I may be able to tie this in on an upcoming visit. Plus, it's possible I could do this on a fall trip when hopefully it's less congested.

I would concor about trying in summer, spring or late fall is much better time to do it, during the week days is also best. Also, for some reason there are more folks going south along it than going north ( I live near it, and ride it often, mostly early AM before 8 or 9AM). I would take 3 days to do it (4 if you include the Smoky Mt.), starting at the south end of the Smoky Mt. and head north. Yes the speed limit is low, 45 for the BRP and 35 for the last 100 northern end called Skyline Drive, but the idea is that is meant to be traveled at a leasurely pace, stopping a lot to enjoy the views and there are many mills, Grandfather Mt. is cool as well plus a lot of other places to stop and see along the way. Trying to do it quickly defeats the whole point of traveling it, IMHO.

RM

RTRandy said:
Are you serious? It's not like you have ferry boats in Missoula.
Well, not in town, just lots of bridges, but let's not overlook the headwaters of the Columbia River (the Balfour Ferry in BC), there's this big wet thing you might know of, the Missouri River? There are quite a few ferries in Montana.

Went to Nova Scotia in Summer, 2004. (On a 1981 Suzuki -- I just bought the BMW two months ago.) Stopping for the Highland Games is worth an afternoon, if you time it right and can handle the sound of bagpipes being tuned. I took the ferry one way and rode back -- that let me see the Bay of Fundy.

Trip report at <a href="http://www.asylumhouse.org/trip_report.html">asylumhouse.org/trip_report.html</a>
if you can deal with the references to the Suzuki.

Back