• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Brevard, NC

dpandorf

I joined the MOA this morning as I'm about to venture back into driving a motorcycle for pleasure. A week or so before this past Father's Day my wife texts me as I'm away at work (I'm a Gulfstream 550 Captain) that she wants to buy me a motorcycle for Father's Day. This has come completely out of left field. I ask her, "Do you really need my life insurance money so soon?" No, she's being serious.

You see, for over 35 years I've been flying high performance aircraft including 20 years military flying and the past 15 years in business aviation. I guess I get a little bored hanging around the house when I'm not on the road in the cockpit and her idea on spicing up my life is a motorcycle.

In my past I've raced motocross from the 125cc class all the way to the open class riding a 400cc Husqvarna to riding a 250 Yamaha on the indoor short track circuit. At the same time I road on the street.

I've always envied those I've seen riding BMW motorcycles as they gave me the impression of true "professionals" as those I saw were properly equipped from head to toe. So the first thing I did to pique this new interest was to go to the BMW shop website which happens to be in nearby Asheville, NC. (Eurosport Asheville) Not ready to plunk down a big chunk of $$$ I looked at their used bike offerings and found they have a 2003 K1200GT at an affordable price single owner, garaged, and "factory" maintained.

2003 Blue BMW K1200GT

The bike includes Ohlins suspension and almost new Michelin PR4s.

Of course I didn't stop there and will be wearing a Schuberth CS3 Pro helmet, Rev'it Dominator GTX Jacket along with their Poseidon trousers, BMW All Around Boots and Rev'it gloves. I will be taking the MSF class locally and will be working with the shop's parts manager who teaches motorcycle safety classes through a third party company who work with motorcycle patrol officers.

I'm excited to begin this new adventure and am well aware of the responsibility it entails in being 100% committed to safety and learning all I can about being the best I can on the bike. (that does not mean the fastest out of the turns either :))

Look forward to hanging around here.

Welcome. I too took the basic safety course as my first step after recently deciding to get back into it. It's tempting to skip some of the gear in the Texas heat, but it wouldn't feel right for me. After I have 3k of mileage I plan to go back for the advanced course. Definitely a journey that I will enjoy and not rush. Best of luck and be safe.

Welcome. I too took the basic safety course as my first step after recently deciding to get back into it. It's tempting to skip some of the gear in the Texas heat, but it wouldn't feel right for me. After I have 3k of mileage I plan to go back for the advanced course. Definitely a journey that I will enjoy and not rush. Best of luck and be safe.

Thanks Cliff!

Welcome to the forums! I come down to Hendersonville just about every April to see elderly relatives of my wife's there. You're lucky to have Eurosport Asheville in your backyard. They're great!

See you out on the road!

Welcome to the forums! I come down to Hendersonville just about every April to see elderly relatives of my wife's there. You're lucky to have Eurosport Asheville in your backyard. They're great!

See you out on the road!

Thanks ExGMan, buzz me when you get down this way and we'll head up Hwy 276 to the Parkway. I'm heading to Eurosport Asheville today when I get home from this week's work travels as I didn't expect to get home till tomorrow. I take my learners permit test on Tuesday and pickup the bike afterwards. Hope to get a one on one with Blair the parts manager there who teaches on the side.

Not ready to plunk down a big chunk of $$$ I looked at their used bike offerings and found they have a 2003 K1200GT at an affordable price single owner, garaged, and "factory" maintained.

2003 Blue BMW K1200GT

You're going to love that bike. My wife and I had the 03 K1200RS which is very similar to your GT.
Good power and the smoothest BMW we have owned. Great low end power and you will be surprised how comfortable it is to cruise at high speeds with this bike.
This is what the RS looks like.
Colorado_2006_011.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I'm retired Army and living in North Carolina. You picked a great bike! :thumb

I was a "sky pilot". No, "sky pilots" don't fly. I have no idea how military chaplains got that moniker. :dunno

Duane,
Excellent first post. It is always refreshing to read that much enthusiasm in a new rider and member. Many of us here in the MOA are former military and pilots. You are going to find riding a Beemer the perfect off duty activity that retains those aspects of flying that we love and drops those that we hate. April was the MOA getaway in Fontana, I must say, you have one heck of a riding state there and an awesome dealership. About as close to motorcycle heaven as one may find here on God's green earth.

Back