• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heal fast, David Hough

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

We're all sorry about this setback, David, and will wait to hear good news of your recovery and return to the road--and to the keyboard. Swift sailing through surgery tomorrow--

Tom Goodmann
'02 F650 GS
'94 K75s

Just talked to David. Surgery yesterday went well, though it took three hours. Great surgeon.

He's in great spirits, talking about what we all can learn from this. Ever the teacher. Lesson 1: ATGATT
Lesson 2: Never ever change rides in the middle of a ride
Lesson 3: Never ever let someone stampede you into doing
something you don't want to do

David can use his left hand pretty well, though he's not left handed. He'll return for a post op check Friday and then will have to wiggle his fingers to keep the tendon's in shape.

Prognosis is for full recovery!

Voni
sMiling

David, according to Dos Equis this is "The Most Interesting Man in the World."

That being true I would say that you are probably "The Most interesting Man in Motorcycling."

Attachments

• xx3.jpg
    xx3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 297
"Lesson 3: Never ever let someone stampede you into doing
something you don't want to do"

Amen to that!

A quick update on my progress:

I had the post op on my right hand on Tuesday, and it appears to be healing normally. Now in a cast, of course, but with more of my fingers sticking out. I can type a bit easier now.

I've had a few complications from meds etc. but in another two weeks I apparently get a removable cast, then Physical Therapy.

I still have pain in both shoulders plus the contusions in my left hand. So, I'm a bit of a mess still, but gradually healing. I have to take pain killers to get some sleep, which makes it unwise to drive even if I could get both hands to work.

Needless to say, my motorcycling is over for the year, and I'll have to skip the September trip to the Adriatic with my son Dan. That's a big disappointment.

The situation has me thinking about risk, of course. There is no such thing as absolute safety, but I definitely need to hone my risk reduction skills and tactics. Crashing just soaks up too much money, time, and my wife's energy. I'll have more to say about this as I figure it out.

pmdave

Good progress. Surely a disappointment. I am so sorry to see it, you suffer through it, as I can relate to it.

pmdave needs to to improve his "risk reduction and tactics skills?" Well, I guess he does. But what is the message to those of us who have ridden far fewer miles than he and devoted far fewer hours than he in thinking about how to do it as safely as possible?

Maybe we need to quickly review our own "safety chart" which we have garnered from our training, experience, and pertinent writing we've absorbed, every time we mount the bike.

Maybe we need to think about the mistakes we've commonly made. (For me, not looking far enough ahead, failing to be absolutely certain of the road behind before passing, and following too closely are the most common.) What are your errors?

pmdaves other remark (aside from our personal suffering and the costs) that our spouses are severely put out in dealing with the injured spouse is spot on. While I have had two motorcycle accidents (one which totalled my bike) I wasn't seriously injured in either. But I once fell down our basement stairs when I was inebriated and carrying a box of canning jar. Broken leg.

So, "let's be careful out there." And careful at home too.

There is no such thing as perfectly safe riding (or anything else) but there are a lot of things you can do to reduce the odds of an accident, and the consequences if you do.

Feel better soon, Dave. Everybody else, myself included, be extra careful. If not for yourself, if not for your loved ones, do it for Dave.

From some private responses, it appears there may be some confusion about what I was riding when I crashed.

I had stupidly agreed to swap machines with a journalist who apparently wanted me to be wowed by the performance of his new Triumph street triple R. I didn't want to swap, but I guess the flattery of him believing I was fully capable of riding anything caused me to give in. With no practice time, I hopped on the Triumph and pulled out onto Highway 14 headed west for Stevenson, WA.

So, when the truck (with no brake lights) suddenly slowed in front of me about ten miles later, I attempted an aggressive stop, but my muscle memory wasn't prepared for the powerful front brakes on the Triumph. I overbraked, and looped it, making a short flight and a hard landing on the pavement. The good news is that I missed the truck, which had one of those knife edge beds. The bad news is that I smashed my right hand, and "buggered" my left hand and left shoulder.

Sparky (my Spyder) was not involved in the incident, was transported home by friends, and is quietly awaiting my recovery, with the battery on a charger.

Let's say I was less than enthused about my brief sport bike experience, embarrassed at being unable to control it, and piffed at myself for letting somone push me into doing something I didn't want to do. I've run up a considerable bill in medical care, pain, frustration, and guilt about smashing up someone else's ride--which I will need to reimburse.

There are some lessons for my fellow riders in this.

You might want to check your insurance coverage to see what might happen if you did allow someone else to ride your machine. And if you have any special equipment on your bike that you've added, you might wish to take some photos, get an appraisal, and discuss your coverage with your agent.

Speaking for myself, I intend to never again ride a borrowed machine of any type under any circumstances short of an emergency. I have also lost a lot of my desire to ride two wheelers. I guess it takes some very painful lessons to convince some of us when its time to pull in our horns.

pmdave

Wisdom..

He speaks of wisdom.

Thanks, Dave for all that you have done for Motorcycling safety.

Jim Dahl, Ketchikan, Alaska

+1 and +1 on that.

Dave, hope your recovery continues to go well, and hope you can also stop beating yourself up a bit. I've been reading your columns, books, web posts for many years, and I've learned SO much. But we've all chosen a hobby/sport/lifestyle/whatever that has risks...and some great rewards.

Accidents do happen, and we all can learn from these events. And even when we try to do everything "right", fate can sometimes still bite. When I had my Duc knocked out from underneath me a few years back, I had the opportunity to interview my primary witness. His comment..."you did EVERYTHING right, and she still knocked you down..." lives with me on every ride.

I've never attended one of your lectures, but did have the pleasure of a brief conversation on the Edmonds/Kingston run last summer. Hope to see you on the road (or the ferry) again one of these days.

Cheers! Bill J

Thank You Dave !

Thank you Dave for sharing your wisdom !

You can NEVER predict every variable in my experience !!!
(I am a Scientist)

Get well soon !!!

Regards,

Lynn

Ah...
...after two hand surgeries myself, and rehabbing broken collar bones, etc., I feel your pain just reading the posts!

Get well and see you in the future!

Another update on my healing process:

The hard cast is off, and I have a removable brace. I've been instructed to do varous finger exercises to get the tendons stretched back into shape. My right hand is healing nicely from surgery, although the wrist is very stiff. My left hand was battered but unbroken, and it hurts about as much as the right. Both hands are very weak. I can barely get the coffeemaker filled, or milk poured for breakfast.

The fractured hand was the first priority, but I have some shoulder issues. The orthopods suggested an MRI to see what's going on, so I'm scheduled for that this week. For whatever obscure reasons, I always seem to crash on my left shoulder.

I'm still on Gabapentine for back pain, but I've weaned myself off the Oxycodone.

I'm not driving any road-going vehicles yet, but I have managed to mow the grass a couple of times with my new John Deere 534 with power steering. It's frustrating not being able to do much (other than peck out messages and flex my fingers.)

Thanks to all for your thoughts and kind remarks.

David L Hough

I always have a huge sigh of relief when I read of your healing. You always seem to be able to put a positive spin on your troubles.

Another mark of a remarkable guy!

Healing hugs!

Voni
sMiling

Back