• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Happy Birthday Marine Corps

PAULBACH

Marinebulldog.jpg

On November 10, 1775 the United States Marine Corps was officially formed by a vote of the Continental Congress. Captain Samuel Nicholas was named the first Commandant of the Marine Corps. Robert Mullan was appointed to raise two companies of Marines. Mullan was also the proprietor of Tun Tavern which had a long reputation for having the best beer in Philadelphia. So it was that the very first Continental Marines were recruited in Tun Tavern, and it became the birthplace of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Read more: http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/tun_tavern_birthplace_of_the_usmc#ixzz0WSelUpL7

Last edited:
Spent a year with the Marines (Hospital corpsman); best duty I had in some ways. So Happy Birthday! By the way Paul thanks for posting. I learned some things I was not aware of. A tavern as an initial recruiting station, huh? Who would have thought.

I spent 14 years in the navy, but my greatest honor and fondest memories are those years at the beginning of my career (as a corpsman with the 9th Marines) and at the end (as a Warrant Officer PA with the 2nd Marines) when I served with the Marines.

Early on, after recovering from wounds and preparing to ship out on my second deployment (this time to a peaceful part of the globe), my unit was inspected by a Lieutenant General straight out of HQMC. I'd never been inspected by a flag officer before so asked my Marines what sort of questions to expect. I'd always been into firearms and especially fragmentation weapons, so was extremely confident that I could answer any question about weapons or tactics the General put to me.

On the day of the personnel inspection I was standing tall with my Marines, ready to take on the General and then the world. He stood in front of me, all stern and buffed, those stars on his collars shining brightly, and asked in a booming voice...

"Doc, when is the navy's birthday?"

I had no friggin idea! Aside from boot camp all my time in service had been spent with the Marines. My father and grandfather served in the Corps. I was proud to be wearing green. So in a voice more forceful and confident than I felt, I bellowed right back at the General.

"SIR, the only birthday that matters to me is 10 November 1775, SIR!"

He smiled, clapped me on the shoulder and said softly, "Well spoken, Marine!" It was the nicest thing anybody had ever called me.

Semper fi to my brothers and sisters in the Corps!

Pete

Great story, Pete.

And thanks, Paul. You should have been a Marine!

Semper Fi.

Tom

Freedom of speech doesn't come from the constitution, it comes from our armed forces. Thank you all that have served.

Paul Franze

Pete, I love the story! God only knows the hilarious stuff that has come out of such moments. So thanks for sharing -- I enjoyed the early morning laugh! :D

As an aside, your service as an FMF Corpsman qualifies you to be a member of the Marine Corps League. Scroll at the link to find the Department of Vermont.

http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/index.php?module=locator

Locally I am a member of the Mike Spann Detachment (#1272). Naturally I can't speak for every detachment, but my suspicion is the camaraderie is such as you would expect to find amongst a bunch of Marines... :buds

Semper Fi.

PS: James Dunn -- you would also qualify for membership in the MCL. Thanks to both of you for your service as Corpsmen.

Last edited:
Exellent post.

Proudest day in my life was Graduation Day on a cloudy rainy morning in South Carolina

To all those who are serving, have served, and to those who have not returned.

IwoJimaMemorial.jpg