• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar Switchgear

tlangman4

Hi All-

I am searching for replacement electronic switchgear for my ‘78 R100/7 which was recently purchased. My last airhead was sold about 15 years ago, and at that time I believe I was still able to obtain new ones. It appears the factory understandably no longer produces these. Is anyone aware of high quality copies being made or perhaps sources of NOS switches somewhere? With the high number of airheads still on the road along with the uniqueness of the switchgear, it just seems that some source must still exist. If not, any suggestions for alternatives (short of used on eBay) is appreciated.

I see that Motobins has a right-side switch that would work. It may be different than what you have now.

Also, check the used parts section in the link in my signature line.

Try Euromotoelectrics in Colorado.

They have a lot of wiring, but I didn't see any handlebar switch assemblies.

Just checked BMW Huckys...he's having a clearance sale...I wonder if he's going out of business. Anyway, for the /7 he shows a left-hand combination switch assembly, part 61 31 1 243 598.

Thanks everyone! I was able to score on the left hand side, but no luck for the right side, pre 9-78.
Given the number of airheads still in the road and the uniqueness of the switchgear, it seems odd that no source exits for these switches. I suppose that’s what happens given the years since production..

Just an FYI ... the switch change for 1979 was just cosmetic and these switches will work on '77'-'78, maybe some earlier.

Biggest change of course is moving turn signal switch to left side. Its all same wire colors, same plug in points.

This is, of course, an opportunity to have headlight on/off, which '78-on didn't have. Requires different headlight relay in addition, if you do.

Just an FYI ... the switch change for 1979 was just cosmetic and these switches will work on '77'-'78, maybe some earlier.

Biggest change of course is moving turn signal switch to left side. Its all same wire colors, same plug in points.

This is, of course, an opportunity to have headlight on/off, which '78-on didn't have. Requires different headlight relay in addition, if you do.

The headlight relay is the same, just wired in differently. I've set up an earlier bike as 'always-on' headlight when the handlebar switch became dodgy.

If changing to a switchable headlight, wire the new handlebar control as you'd expect. It replaces the green wire that runs from the key switch to the headlight relay.

Then replace the black wire on the other side of the relay with a wire directly to a ground (brown) spade on the junction board. There may be a extra brown wire already in the headlight shell for this.

I have a 1979 RS and a couple earlier bikes and getting used to that left side turn signal is taking some doing. That said, as it goes left and right rather than up and down, the use of the thing is a bit more natural when I remember 'left thumb for turn!'

Thanks everyone! I was able to score on the left hand side, but no luck for the right side, pre 9-78.
Given the number of airheads still in the road and the uniqueness of the switchgear, it seems odd that no source exits for these switches. I suppose that’s what happens given the years since production..

Just take it apart, clean it and lube it.

The headlight relay is the same, just wired in differently. I've set up an earlier bike as 'always-on' headlight when the handlebar switch became dodgy.

If changing to a switchable headlight, wire the new handlebar control as you'd expect. It replaces the green wire that runs from the key switch to the headlight relay.

Then replace the black wire on the other side of the relay with a wire directly to a ground (brown) spade on the junction board. There may be a extra brown wire already in the headlight shell for this.

I have a 1979 RS and a couple earlier bikes and getting used to that left side turn signal is taking some doing. That said, as it goes left and right rather than up and down, the use of the thing is a bit more natural when I remember 'left thumb for turn!'

Sorry, but there are different part numbers for '77 and '78 USA models.

You'll find that with headlights switched off, the headlight will iluminate when the starter is running if using the newer relay.

Sorry, but there are different part numbers for '77 and '78 USA models.

You'll find that with headlights switched off, the headlight will iluminate when the starter is running if using the newer relay.

I have 1975, 1978, and 1979 Airheads and the spec (see the diagram on the side for the internal power paths) of the relay is the same for all of them. The difference is in the wiring as I described in my post.

Back