• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Had a great time, except...

First rally

I logged 2,200 miles to attend my first BMW rally and was glad I went. The only really pretty part of the ride was next door in SD, around Mt Rushmore.
Friday evening, leaving Gillette for Moorcroft was the WINDIEST ride I ever been on. The gusts were so strong, I'm sure I could NOT have held my bike upright had I tried stopping.
Next year Tenn will be closer to me and I will plan on going.

This was my second rally after attending Wisconsin last year. In my opinion West Bend set the bar pretty high as a venue, but Gillette was still plenty fun.

Its all about the ride - North Cascades, Bighorns, Bear tooth, Lolo Pass, Devils Tower - if you didnt do any of these then yes you would be disappointed.

I thought the New Riders rocked! :groovy

The WORST thing

about the Rally in Wyoming was that I could not attend.

I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends, old and new, in TN in '09.

And at the BigGIG 3, which happens to be in '09 as well.

I agree , I had a great time except !

I had a great ride , :bikes 4482 miles , Bear tooth pass was awesome 41 degrees windy a mixture of rain , sleet , and snow , but a ride That I will always remember . St.Joseph highway is a must ride also . Coming home all the fellow BMW riders that I met and talked with at rest areas , gas stops or resturants , the common complaint was a disapointment with a lack of food vendors and a lot of the regular venders were absent . A lot of us like to stay at the raylle site and visit , it seems that you could require proper feeding at the sites . I do not think that would be asking to much from the host site . Just my feelings . Charles

I had a GREAT time at the Gillette Rally. It was my first and probably only for a long time for no other reason than most locations for rallies are too far for me to get to. I wasn't at West Bend nor Vermont and I won't be in Tennessee either. Just too far to go for a guy who does 6 hours max of riding per day and only has two weeks available in the summer.

Gas prices -- I paid less for premium in the US than we pay for regular in Canada. I did some price conversions and where I pay $1.34/litre in Canada for mid-grade, the most I paid for premium was $1.19/litre in the US. The least expensive fuel I purchased was in Gillette at $1.04/litre (just multiply that by 3.83 to get the price per gallon).

Food at the rally -- it was food at a big event. I didn't go hungry. I ate something different every meal. Breakfast was at the restaurant at the National 9 Inn.

Riding -- the only day trip I made was out to Devil's Tower on Saturday. I had fun getting there and back. I made a point of riding on roads that I had never been on getting to and from the rally. Coming south through Montana from Havre to Roundup was a hoot. Was the road twisty - nope. Was the scenery worth the ride - you bet your sweet bippy. From Roundup to Gillette, I chose to stay on I-90 from Billings on in. Again, while the road itself is not a challenging ride, I saw sites that made me go "WOW!" On the way home, I took highway 59/US 16 from Gillette to Sheridan. I thought the landscapes 15 miles north of town were great. Then, I was going to go the "back" way into Billings by riding the Bighorn Pass and then go up through Warren and other small towns. When I realized my route was going to take me onto a dirt road, I just did the Bighorn Pass in reverse and carried on from there. I had fun. Probably the most "boring" riding was on Monday when I went from Billings to Lethbridge, Alberta. MT Route 3 to Great Falls and then I-15/Alberta 4 to Lethbridge is not a scenery filled route. But when you think about it, flat high prairie is beautiful in its own way. Tuesday, from Lethbridge to Edmonton on the back highways was a perfect way to end the trip.

Experience -- Dave Swider asked me after the closing ceremonies if the rally was what I expected it to be. I told him that I would be telling a lie if I said it was because I honestly did not know what to expect. But I have to applaud Deb and Karol and all of the volunteers who made this experience a good one. I met great people (hi everybody (too many to list)). I had a thoroughly enjoyable time and will attend the next rally that is close enough for me to get to in a (what I consider) reasonable amount of time.

My only disappointment was the amount of money I paid for the quality of hotel room in Gillette. I did tell the management what I thought of their facility when I left. And this is nothing the organizers of the rally have any control over.

:lol3

Better than what?
Better than hanging out with their friends?
Better than getting to ride some GREAT roads?
Better than the flat dullness of the midwest? (sorry, I had to ride it last year, this time you have to :deal)
Better than what?

Was it perfect? Hell, no. It never is. It was, however, great fun. I wish more people could have gone or would have chosen to go. THAT would be the one important thing that would have made it better.

Thank you to everyone that made it happen. :clap

Same rhetoric....different location.

We can't pronounce every rally a rousing success, simply because we ran into old friends on bikes.......the Harley crowd experiences that every weekend at the corner bar.

Yes - I appreciated the efforts of those who ran the rally.
Yes - I made some new friends (Greg from MI comes to mind...my tenting neighbor!).
Yes - I ran into old friends from West Bend.
Yes - I managed to find a scenic road that wasn't more than a parsec from rally central.

But in my opinion, we compromized way too much to make a square Gillette fit into a round (el) hole.

If you think last week is as good as it gets, so be it. Like many on this forum have mused - our template is in need of an overhaul, and that won't ever happen if we're tripping over each other in a rush to back slap, high five and touch knuckles till we drop.

I enjoy our rallies - let's make them progressively better.

Gillette Rally

I enjoyed the rally, especially the ride to Gillette. I didn't spend a lot of time on the rally grounds, prefering to ride and explore roads in the area. Cheif Joseph was great, in both directions! It's suprising that you can have so much fun riding a fully loaded K12 thru those curves. My riding buddies and I took the "scenic" route to Gillette by way of the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody, the aforementioned Chief Joseph hwy. Also ran the Beartooth pass, and Hwy 14/14a. Missed out on Mount Rushmore due to a mishap with my prescription glasses. I had the privilege of spending Friday afternoon at Lenscrafters in Rapid City. Also rode Spearfish canyon.

Due to my work schedule, I had to cover over 1600 miles in two days on the return trip. I missed out on my first 1000 mile day on Sunday by 3 miles. If I had only known at the time, I'd have gone out and rode around the block to get those extra miles.

This was my second national, Lima Ohio being my first. The riding was much better in Gillette than in Ohio, much more fun and scenic.

Thanks to all the volunteers who put on this rally.

Same rhetoric....different location.

Exactly my point.:brow

Considering that the rally just finished less than a week ago, it's pretty damn reasonable to congratulate those that put it together rather than talk about how a rally you never wanted to like didn't thrill you.

I enjoyed the rally, especially the ride to Gillette. I didn't spend a lot of time on the rally grounds, prefering to ride and explore roads in the area. Cheif Joseph was great, in both directions! It's suprising that you can have so much fun riding a fully loaded K12 thru those curves. My riding buddies and I took the "scenic" route to Gillette by way of the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody, the aforementioned Chief Joseph hwy. Also ran the Beartooth pass, and Hwy 14/14a. Missed out on Mount Rushmore due to a mishap with my prescription glasses. I had the privilege of spending Friday afternoon at Lenscrafters in Rapid City. Also rode Spearfish canyon.

Due to my work schedule, I had to cover over 1600 miles in two days on the return trip. I missed out on my first 1000 mile day on Sunday by 3 miles. If I had only known at the time, I'd have gone out and rode around the block to get those extra miles.

This was my second national, Lima Ohio being my first. The riding was much better in Gillette than in Ohio, much more fun and scenic.

Thanks to all the volunteers who put on this rally.

:clap

So which did you prefer? 14 or 14a? :D

Darn

How did I miss running into so many of you at the rally? Is it because I'm so short you didn't see me? I'll have to try harder to meet you f2f next year.

I rode over 6,500 km round trip and had a wonderful time. Yes, the prairie winds were a bit exciting considering the fact that I was riding an overloaded 250 Virago, but nothing I couldn't handle. Totally loved the Badlands, rode through them both ways, did Devil's tower etc. Great riding.

Having checked the forum well before I went for the best place to camp, I set up beside a tree in the North 40 not far from the showers, which were superb--no line ups and really hot water. The cool nights were delightful for sleeping. In fact the weather was great all round. Sadly I slept through the light show Thursday night and missed all the excitement. Not that I was tired or anything...

Great talking to those of you I did meet. The rest of you, remember to look down next year in Tennessee. Short people...:D

Holly

great time....

Probably the most boring part of the ride was....Billings to Lethbridge...BubbaGazoo

Robert:

Next time, from Billings, try highways 3, 12, 89, 17, 6, and 22 to home. This way you also miss the horrendous Sweetgrass/Coutts border crossing. And you can stay at Bob's Motel in Neihart, where they have a bar in the basement, and the owner will let you park under the stairs, out of the rain.

But you probably know this route, it looks like you were doing a sprint home.

I'm never going to cross at Sweetgrass, ever, ever, again. I spent a miserable 3 hours there a few months ago, importing my new car.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Rinty

...we're tripping over each other in a rush to back slap, high five and touch knuckles till we drop.

I enjoy our rallies - let's make them progressively better.

Geez, I thought a simple thank you for all the VOLUNTEER effort was just polite.... I haven't had to step over anybody who has "dropped" yet from that simple act.

How did I miss running into so many of you at the rally? Is it because I'm so short you didn't see me? I'll have to try harder to meet you f2f next year.

I rode over 6,500 km round trip and had a wonderful time. Yes, the prairie winds were a bit exciting considering the fact that I was riding an overloaded 250 Virago, but nothing I couldn't handle. Totally loved the Badlands, rode through them both ways, did Devil's tower etc. Great riding.

Having checked the forum well before I went for the best place to camp, I set up beside a tree in the North 40 not far from the showers, which were superb--no line ups and really hot water. The cool nights were delightful for sleeping. In fact the weather was great all round. Sadly I slept through the light show Thursday night and missed all the excitement. Not that I was tired or anything...

Great talking to those of you I did meet. The rest of you, remember to look down next year in Tennessee. Short people...:D

Holly
Hi Holly, I am sorry I missed you. I am glad you had a nice trip. I hit the southern Badlands on the way in, aren't they great?:nod

Geez, I thought a simple thank you for all the VOLUNTEER effort was just polite.... I haven't had to step over anybody who has "dropped" yet from that simple act.

Your right! "Thank You" to all those out there who volunteered their time to make Gillette a success!

It was my first year in helping out, and plan on doing it in 09. What a great group of people! Thanks for the opportunity!

Dale

Next Year

Definitely going to catch you in Tennessee next year, Roy. I had so much fun riding to Gillette, I'm already busy planning the next one.

Holly

Definitely going to catch you in Tennessee next year, Roy. I had so much fun riding to Gillette, I'm already busy planning the next one.

Holly

An effort was made to get all the Forum folks together at 3:30 in the beer tent, but somehow it didnt work. Maybe we should put together a bit more effort and see if we can get everyone together! I had wanted to meet you as well.

I spent a few hours on the way home in the badlands of North Dakota. What a trip! Sort of like South Dakota's badlands, but less structured and greener? Verrrry cool. I found an abandoned 2 room school house out in the middle of South Dakota on the way out, took a tour, it felt like I was reading a history book by the papers strewn across the floor. I have some pics I am going to post one my high speed is fixed; right now doing the web via 28K modem, so uploading is nary impossible.

See you next year Holly! I am trying to find a route that will take my by Roy's house on my way to TN next year. Who knows? Maybe a line from there to Canada is a straight line?

Dale

I was there

I was in the saloon at 3:30 Friday and met several forum members. I couldn't stay for the forum shift since I had volunteered to help the 8K fun run organize itself when the committee chairs were unable to make it to Gillette. Those people are amazing. They get up at a godawful hour to run and were really good about helping to organize it.

Holly

Better Still

See you next year Holly! I am trying to find a route that will take my by Roy's house on my way to TN next year. Who knows? Maybe a line from there to Canada is a straight line?

Dale

Let's meet at Roy's and I'll find a curvy line to take you to Canada. :D

Holly

This rally was terrible! Plain and simple. The location for one was worse than I thought it could be. No shade, no trees, lots of wind. Booo! The black hills were over 120 miles away. Isn't this a motorcycle rally? Shouldn't this be held where there is good riding?? What gives? The showers were a 1/2 mile away. There were very few food venders. What food they had wasn't that good. The music was terrible. It was putting us to sleep. How about some Rock & Roll? And the closing ceremony....1 1/2 hours of worthless contest winners. Who Cares?! Could you put the "stage" any farther away from the stands? Very unimpressive for a national rally. Plus or minus 5,000 people? Doesn't sound like a very good turn out to me.
I guess I am an optimist...

1. 120 miles to Mount Rushmore? I went to a motorcycle Rally to ride... I did that and a good 350 mile day makes me very happy... great roads with little traffic too!

2. Showers... I NEVER waited in a line, I simply went, showered, and left... actually took less time to shower than it would if they were right there in the middle of everyone.

3. I don't go for music but NRPS were great! I like R&R too, but prefer to socialize and talk... but there were two areas for the beer, one inside and one out, inside it was possible to have a discussion.

4. I agree with the closing ceremonies though... by that time people were just wanting to get some miles done on the way home before dark yet had to stick around simply because they may win something that they have to be present for.

5. It wasn't very windy at all there... you obviously haven't spent much time in WY.

6. Weather was good.

7. I made several great seminars.

8. Riding was good, the LEO's were very reasonable, I for one know I was clocked nearly doubling the speed limit and when I started to pull over the officer just waved at me... great sweepers, great roads, cheaper gas prices than many areas.

9. No traffic, in and out of Gillette and onto quality roads in no time.

I thought the organizers did a great job on this. When I first heard it was in Gillette I was suprised but found it to be a well done Rally. I went to VT and found that Gillette did have fewer people and fewer vendors but I thought this one was on par.

You know, when you only grab a 'snipet' of someone's post, it's easy to 'selectively quote' that individual, and alter the intention of the author - Journalism 101.

I never exclude any part of a quote, for to do so is to edit someone's comments to fit my needs.

In the future, if you wish to ridicule my comments, please ridicule ALL of them as a unit ....Thank You.

I personally went up to several volunteers at the Rally in Gillette and thanked them for their efforts, rather than simply post a generic "Good Job" here on the forum - did you?!

But turning a blind eye towards shortcomings at Gillette serves no useful purpose for bettering ourselves and our rallies.

Now.....not 8 months from now, is the time to critique all that went well, and all that could go better and tweak our rally operating matrix.

Back