• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going from RT (watercooled) to a K1600. My thoughts

bryang5150

For those that are thinking of upgrading from an RT to K1600 or adding K1600 I thoguht I would pass along my thoughts. I recently picked up a leftover 2015 GTL Exclusive. Previously, my first ride was a BMW C650GT scooter then I added the RT. Most of my riding experience has been around the 575 pounds to 604 so this is my first heavy big bike. One of the biggest concerns is weight since I mostly ride 2up. Thankfully it's not that big of an issue. As others have reported it's akward around 10 miles an hour and once you get above that it's not that big of deal.

Both the RT and the GTL have their own strengths and weaknesses that makes a different riding experience. Here are some of the differences I noticed.

Engine: Hands down the K1600 has a smoother engine compared to the RT. I detect no vibration in the pegs. With the RT there is some vibration at higher speeds and at low rpm in a higher gear. The GTL doesn't have the RT's Gear Assist Pro however, the GTL puts out high level of torque at low rpms which eliminates a lot of shifting. It's not uncommon to 30 miles an hour in 6th gear without stuttering while the RT you would need to downshift to 2nd or 2rd gear.

Wind Management: RT has much better wind management than the GTL. I'm already looking around for a replacement wind screen, I think wide screen about three inches might help. I'm looking at screens from Calsci. i'm currently running a stock wind screen on the RT. Being that it is lighter the RT is subseptible to high winds while the GTL due to the weight plows through it.

Speakers: Both myself and my passenger think the speakers on the RT are much louder than the GTL. On the RT it comes with two large speakers while the GTL comes with 4 front speakers and no back speakers. On the RT at 60 miles per hour my passenger can hear the speakers while the GTL she can't hear them. It could be the wind management in the RT makes a perfect bubble which helps project sound but considering there's 4 speakers on the GTL the sounds projection is a disapointment. Perhaps a better wind screen might help.

Lighting - The adaptive lighting on the K1600 is amazing. The BMW driving lights aren't bad, they show up on the dash a green icon and there's button to turn them off and on. On the RT I put on Clearwater Darlas, they have better "throw" for distance and displays light at the side of the road. I haven't spent a lot of time time driving at night so I can't say if one is better than the other.

One of my neighbors asked which bike is better. It really depends for riding solo, the RT is the bike I would prefer, it's light nimbel and perfectly balanced. for riding 2 up the GTL is the way to go.

Sorry for the longish post, i hope this helps for someone looking at going from an RT to K1600.

I recently made the same switch but to a GT. For wind management look at the aeroflow screen, wings and mini wings all I can say is holy crap. With them on at 90 mph I am in a dead silent pocket of air. And when I do need more air flow I pop open the side vents.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks BMARC. I did add Aeroscreen to my scooter a few years back and was much better than stock. I'll look into them as well.
it looks like you bought your bike at Max? That's where I got mine.

Yep great dealer. I'd suggest you keep the stock screen and try the wings AND mini wings first. The aeroscreen is nice but the biggest improvement were the wings. I am close to RT protection and quiet now.

Wind Management: RT has much better wind management than the GTL. I'm already looking around for a replacement wind screen, I think wide screen about three inches might help. I'm looking at screens from Calsci. i'm currently running a stock wind screen on the RT. Being that it is lighter the RT is subseptible to high winds while the GTL due to the weight plows through it.

Speakers: Both myself and my passenger think the speakers on the RT are much louder than the GTL. On the RT it comes with two large speakers while the GTL comes with 4 front speakers and no back speakers. On the RT at 60 miles per hour my passenger can hear the speakers while the GTL she can't hear them. It could be the wind management in the RT makes a perfect bubble which helps project sound but considering there's 4 speakers on the GTL the sounds projection is a disapointment. Perhaps a better wind screen might help.

Lighting - The adaptive lighting on the K1600 is amazing. The BMW driving lights aren't bad, they show up on the dash a green icon and there's button to turn them off and on. On the RT I put on Clearwater Darlas, they have better "throw" for distance and displays light at the side of the road. I haven't spent a lot of time time driving at night so I can't say if one is better than the other.

As others have said, the Aeroflow windshield and wings make a huge difference in wind management for rider and even more for the passenger. Personally I have the Aeroflow GTL medium screen, I think I should have gone for a little shorter. I am 5'8" for perspective.

The speakers are a joke on the K1600. Most of us have opted for Bluetooth in-helmet speakers, while a few industrious others have replaced the old speakers, reinsulate the speaker sound boxes, and added a amplifier. Reportedly that has worked for those that did it.

Try buying the replacement 60watt LED H7 replacement high-beam bulbs mentioned over on the lighting thread on k1600forum.com . I put a pair of those in, and I can see quite well at night now, no need to drop hundreds of dollars on Clearwaters (yet).

As others have said, the Aeroflow windshield and wings make a huge difference in wind management for rider and even more for the passenger. Personally I have the Aeroflow GTL medium screen, I think I should have gone for a little shorter. I am 5'8" for perspective.

The speakers are a joke on the K1600. Most of us have opted for Bluetooth in-helmet speakers, while a few industrious others have replaced the old speakers, reinsulate the speaker sound boxes, and added a amplifier. Reportedly that has worked for those that did it.

Try buying the replacement 60watt LED H7 replacement high-beam bulbs mentioned over on the lighting thread on k1600forum.com . I put a pair of those in, and I can see quite well at night now, no need to drop hundreds of dollars on Clearwaters (yet).
Agreed. I'm 5'9" with the medium aeroflow and think the standard would have been better.

Since we're on the topic of wind protection, I thought I'd offer my $.02.
(I often wonder what the level of expectation is regarding wind protection).
I had a Wunderlich wind deflector installed on the OEM standard screen thinking it would change the wind path over and around me.
All it really did was get in the way of my line of sight which limited the distance I could adjust the wind screen.
So, getting tired of getting beat to death by the wind, I took it off. Much to my surprise, the wind protection increased and its much quieter with little to no real turbulence.
Perhaps its my riding posture or torso height or a combination of both but the OEM standard screen seems to be adequate.

I too had an RT which I used as my rally bike and can definitively say that the GT is head and shoulders above the RT as far as comfort goes.
For me, the ergonomics of the GT far suits me better than the RT.

JP

RT to GT

I had a Yamaha FJR and it was getting old. I traded for an 1200RT and what a mistake it was. I could stand 15 days only and I traded for a K1600GT and I am very happy. It is a very heavy bike but it gets lighter as you ride.

I have a 2013 K1600GT and am extremely happy with it. The engine is totally smooth with no vibration (and I mean none). The power at low RPM and everywhere else is great! Wind protection is good but I thought I could do better so I added the California Scientific XXL windshield. Sure a little air gets by but it's still great in my opinion and my jacket has no bugs on it after a week on the road so how much better does it need to be? And I like a little air movement especially on a hot day.

I'm getting 48-50 mpg and it burns absolutely no oil. Yes there were a few things that got corrected under warranty but that was 2 years ago and everything is still good. The radio is... sorry but I don't listen to the radio, never have. The cruise control is... sorry I don't use the cruise control. The handling in the twisties is just plain excellent! The bars and pegs are right where they need to be - it's a comfortable bike. I'm happy with my purchase.

I had a Yamaha FJR and it was getting old. I traded for an 1200RT and what a mistake it was. I could stand 15 days only and I traded for a K1600GT and I am very happy. It is a very heavy bike but it gets lighter as you ride.

Yea, those RT's are really a mess.

I wouldn't call them a mess but they have a really boring very reliable engine. I had one for years and the sound and "feel' reminded me of an air compressor motor you might find at Home Depot. It's their most popular engine and it's in their most popular model so I'd say Boxer owners absolutely love them!

The K1600 costs more than the R1200RT, so something ought to be better. The R1200RT is, after all, just a Police bike.

I have been riding a 2010 R1200GS for a number of years and ever so often looked at a touring bike . I like the GS riding solo but my wife might like the comfort of a touring bike. Should I sell the GS and buy a K1600GT / GTL or keep the GS and buy the K1600 for 2 up riding long distance.

I have been riding a 2010 R1200GS for a number of years and ever so often looked at a touring bike . I like the GS riding solo but my wife might like the comfort of a touring bike. Should I sell the GS and buy a K1600GT / GTL or keep the GS and buy the K1600 for 2 up riding long distance.

Two very different bikes. So far, reports I have heard are that 2-up on the K16 is more comfortable than the GS, but that was not 100%.

Perhaps head over to k1600forum.com and ask there. I am positive there are others that have made the switch or have both in their stable.

I have an 09 GSA and got a used GT for two up riding. I'm enjoying having to totally different bikes. My other choice was to sell the GSA and get a new one and try and turn it into a comfortable two up bike. I'm happier with two bikes though. My wife likes the occasional ride on the GSA and is good for about an hour comfort wise. Part of my thinking was that if I got a Goldwing for better comfort and then my wife decides that long trips on the bike are out then I'm kind of stuck with a Goldwing. Seen that happen to too many guys. So the GT is a very fun bike for solo riding too. I have a low screen on it for me in the Texas heat. I'm picking up a taller screen so she will be comfortable and adding a top box. That will give me a good touring set up that can be reversed in 30 minutes or less. The only thing left is whether the seat that is on it is good for a long day. So far it is much better than the GSA seat (GS pillion seat, Seat Concepts up front). However a Russell Day Long may be in my future.

Back