• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GL1800 to R1200RT Comparison

J

Jack D

GL1800 to R1200RT Comparison Edited

After 4 years and almost 100 Kmiles on a 2004 GL1800A my wife and I decided to get a lighter motorcycle. I have monitored forums for BMW, FJR, Concours, Triumph, ST1300, Vstrom and tested all of these and others. My three favorites were the Triumph Tiger, The BMW R1200GS and the BMW R1200RT. The Tiger was not really suitable for long distance 2 up travel and it was very limited in alternator capacity. I found a good buy on a 2006 R1200RT and snapped it up. I have 4-5 K miles on it in the 30 days since I bought it including one SS1000. I also did the 24 Kmile service which consists of changing all fluids, air cleaner, valve adjustment and throttle body sync. The following is my comparison of key points between the GL1800 and the R1200RT.

ENGINE The 6 cylinder GL engine is much smoother and with it’s 50% larger displacement has much greater low speed torque. It will readily pull from any RPM while the RT does not like accelerating from below 3000 RPM.

FUEL INJECTION The GL is very consistent and smooth at all RPMs. The RT sometimes has a rough idle and often does not readily respond when blipping the throttle for downshifts.

TRANSMISSION The 6 speed RT has a very tall low gear easily good for 30 mph. This makes it a challenge to do an uphill start when riding double. The 5 speed GL is the opposite, it has a very short first gear which makes it easy for starting when in a heavily loaded condition. However as soon as the bike is rolling it is time to shift to second gear.

SHIFTING No comparison. The RT has a much smoother shifting gearbox. With a healthy blip of the throttle you can even downshift to low gear without a large CLUNK. This is good as there are times when second gear is just too tall for the corner that you just made. Of course downshifts to first are not needed on the GL. Upshifts on the RT are just snick, snick, snick, silent and smooth. Surprisingly to me when thinking of older BMWs is that the RT is one of the smoothest shifting bikes I have ever ridden. The RT trans oil is separate from the engine oil and is a gear lube. I wonder how the GL would shift with that type of oil. NAYSAYERS, I have a lot of time on the GL and have developed shifting techniques to improve the GL’s shifting. I stand by my statement that the RT shifts much better.

GAS MILEAGE The RT is typically 10 mpg better than the GL in similar conditions but it does require premium.

BRAKES The RT is over 300 pounds lighter than the GL so naturally it can stop much quicker. The RT’s rear brake seems much more effective than the GL. Both bikes have ABS which I have not yet had to activate on the RT.

CRUISE CONTROL A slight nod to the RT over a correctly adjusted GL, not enough difference to think about.

SUSPENSION This RT has the ESA, Electronic Suspension Adjustment, it is a very nice feature. However even without ESA I prefer the RT suspension to a Traxxion equipped GL. Out of all of the bikes I tested I would say without a doubt that the original GL suspension was the worst.

SPEEDO ACCURACY At 75 mph GPS speed the RT shows 76-77 mph, the GL shows 79. My GL odometer had about the same degree of accuracy. The RT odometer shows 1% less than the GPS after 1000 miles.

HANDLING The RT is 300 pounds lighter and several inches shorter. I have a series of test curves and have noted the speed of each bike through the same curves. At speeds 5-10 mph above the fastest comfortable speed on the GL I could easily switch lines through the corners on all of the bikes I tested.

LONG DISTANCE COMFORT I don’t believe there is a more comfortable bike available for long distance riding on mostly straight roads than the GL, especially for 2 up riding. I would like to find 3-400 miles of continuous curvy road someday. But at the end of the SS1000 on straight roads I was less tired on the RT than I would have been on the GL. Both seats are much more spacious on the GL. We never had to change the seat on the GL. Replacement seats are on order for the RT. 200 miles on the RT was more than enough for my wife, she easily did 500 on the GL. 5-600 miles on the RT was enough for me, 1000 miles was easy on the GL.

**COMFORT ADDENDUM** Seat Position With the seat in the lower of 2 positions the footpegs are closer to the seat than the wing. There is also less legroom to the plastic bodywork. Besides being more confined for taller riders the closeness of the bodywork makes it harder to get your legs past it if you want to use highway pegs. The corner of the bodywork would actually painfully dig into my legs if I were to try and mount highway pegs.

WEATHER PROTECTION Our GL came with a Tulsa WS and we later switched to an F4. We have never ridden any distance with a stock WS. The RT WS is original. The GL with those aftermarket windscreens definitely has better weather protection. We have not yet done a long ride 2 up on the RT in adverse weather to see how the wind and rain protection is for Linda.

MAINTENANCE Surprise!! I found almost all maintenance procedures to be easier and quicker on the RT. Even with the 12K vs 32K mile valve adjustment intervals I would spend less time on the valves doing 3 adjustments on the RT than one on the GL even if the GL valves did not need to be changed. The air cleaner change is much easier and faster on the RT. The RT transmission oil is separate from the engine oil so requires a separate procedure that requires removing some plastic. The OEM RT engine oil filter requires a BMW or aftermarket socket. After market filters do not. My RT does not have a drain plug on the final drive so changing the fluid is more involved than the later model RTs. This is one procedure that is easier on the GL. Rear wheel changes are slightly easier on the RT and fronts are about the same. Fasteners for RT plastic panels are all the same length on each panel, no need to worry about which screw goes where. No plastic push pins.

MAINTENANCE PARTS PRICES Air cleaner is about equal, OEM oil filter on the RT is slightly more. RT spark plugs (4 required) are $12-$15 each. GL spark plugs, 6 required, are $1.69 each from Honda Direct Line. GL battery is ~$100 from Honda Direct Line, BMW batteries range from ~$135 and up (and up and up)

ACCESSORY PRICES The accessory prices for RT farkles seem to be significantly higher than similar items for a GL.

TRAILER PULLING I have not yet tried it on the RT but will after I find/build a hitch. But the GL is an incredible bike for pulling a trailer and doubt that the RT can begin to compare.

LUGGAGE CAPACITY No comparison, GL wins hands down. We are really worried about this one.

ALTERNATOR CAPACITY The RT is more than adequate for auxiliary lights and 2 sets of heated gear. The GL will provide all of that and almost power an arc welder at the same time.

LIGHTS While the RT headlight is pretty good the GL is better. The rear lights on the GL far overshadow the one taillight of the RT and most automobiles. The GL has lighted switches on the handlebar controls, the RT does not.

DISPLAY PANEL The RT displays engine oil temp, fuel level, suspension settings, odometer, 2 tripmeters and computer check status of many functions including burnt out light bulbs (ambient temperature, average speed since last reset, average mpg since last reset, miles of fuel remaining,) settings in parentheses are displayed one at a time and selectable from a handlebar button. GL displays odometer, 2 tripmeters, engine temp, ambient temp (temporary display), fuel level, rear suspension setting (temporary display), radio settings. My RT has no radio so I do not know if the optional radio enables display settings. The RT has no intercom.

Last edited:
GS chimes in:)

I saw GS on your agenda but little comparison and perhaps none is appropriate. The GS and the RT/Gold Wing are so different, but all are worthy touring machines. I find the GSA1200 the best touring bike ever built(for ME). It can carry more than most bikes, including the Wing's. I happen to enjoy more adventure than most so the dirt road byways are also an easy option for us GSA riders. Two up on a GSA is easy too, but the fairing is simply not there and a sport touring shield works quite fine. You cannot compare it to a fully faired bike though. Different animals. 1000m days, no issue on a GSA, with custom seat:). The big 10g tank is a fairng in itself, acts like lowers for the legs. Mileage is poor, as the most probably worst of the BMW lineup, from 38-45ish at best mpg...Trailer towing is an option many GSers have done too, but I'm out of that loop. I towed behind several bikes in my past and the last was the KLT1200 Beemer with the best mpg's ever on any of my bikes to near 50mpg frequently:). Best regards with your shopping your best tour machine. Randy

I had a 2007 GL1800 and rode it cross country (U.S.). Altogether I put maybe 13K miles on it. I was always intimidated by its weight ao I aold it in 2009. After much research I bought a 2010 RT and have about 5K miles on it. I ride solo.

In summary, I love the RT. It's so much more fun to ride because of its lighter weight. But after an hour on the RT my butt and upper back between my shoulder blades hurt like hell. An Airhawk cushion helps a lot, and I will try bar risers next.

The GL was far more comfortable in seat and riding position. The GL also provides much more wind and rain protection (both bikes had stock windscreens). But that protection also makes the GL hot to ride in warm weather.

The GL does have a fantastic engine, but that is also why it is so much heavier than the RT. I think BMW's new 1600 will be a fairer apple to apple comparison with the GL. But the 1600 will also be much heavier than the RT. Between the GL and RT, I enjoy the RT much more. I just need to work on improving the ergonomics.

I saw GS on your agenda but little comparison and perhaps none is appropriate. The GS and the RT/Gold Wing are so different, but all are worthy touring machines. I find the GSA1200 the best touring bike ever built(for ME). It can carry more than most bikes, including the Wing's. I happen to enjoy more adventure than most so the dirt road byways are also an easy option for us GSA riders. Two up on a GSA is easy too, but the fairing is simply not there and a sport touring shield works quite fine. You cannot compare it to a fully faired bike though. Different animals. 1000m days, no issue on a GSA, with custom seat. The big 10g tank is a fairng in itself, acts like lowers for the legs. Mileage is poor, as the most probably worst of the BMW lineup, from 38-45ish at best mpg...Trailer towing is an option many GSers have done too, but I'm out of that loop.

Actually the GS was my first choice but the weather protection for my wife was very important so I chose the RT. I could not do the Adventure because of my 30" inseam. But I sure liked the idea of the big tank. I might still sell my VStrom, get a GS and adapt the GSA tank.

I saw a Spyder down at the Honda shop with bags, it made me think of a Gold Wing. That would be an interesting comparison...:stick

I saw a Spyder down at the Honda shop with bags, it made me think of a Gold Wing. That would be an interesting comparison...:stick

If you get Motorcycle Consumer News - Fred Rau is playing with Spyder's, and I believe they will be doing some sort of comparo.

GL1800 vs 1200GS

I never found the seat all that comfy on the GL. Traded in the GL on the GS.
My wife's comment was that it was like riding a motorcycle again! Did 70 miles on NFS roads in Colorado in the Fall, could have been done on the GL but afraid the plastic might fall off, and probably would have crashed when I hit the mud at the top of a mountain.

Different bikes for different uses, but The GS is much more fun in my opinion!

Hey Jack D - excellent 'compare and contrast' posting on the Goldwing vs. the RT.

Excellent comparative data - could have been a brief article in ON, along with accompanying photos of both models and their components.

Think about it?! :type

Our club's monthly magazine the Owners News. I agree you have a great idea for an article.

So a I a member because I paid my dues to join this site? How do I contact the magazine? I will be glad to rewrite this in a manner more suited for a magazine.

So a I a member because I paid my dues to join this site? How do I contact the magazine? I will be glad to rewrite this in a manner more suited for a magazine.

Contact MOA HQ @ 1-636-394-7277 and ask for Mary Baker - she can get you started down the path of perhaps making your comparisons an interesting article.

Good Luck and thanks for the effort! :german

I went from a 2001 GL-1800 to a 2005 R1200RT. Both were bought new.
To me, the major contrasts are;
Suspension compliance - The GL was harsh. My wife likes the RTs ride, but preffered the GLs accomodations. As the rider, I sense an almost equal degree of smoothnes in the overall ride, The GL transmitting more road input through the bars. I prefer the Boxer's lower amplitude engine vibrations to any 4-cylinder, but the GL's six is smooth as butter.
Handling - The GL is much easier to operate at low speeds, hands down. Odd, I know, but the GL engine, low 1st gear and seat height make low speed stuff simple. Once past 2nd, the RT is a thing of beauty.
Capacity - The RT has a greater useful load than the GL by a significant amount. 405 lbs. is easily exceeded on the GL, whereas 470 for the RT is a nice safety margin. I pay attention to stated gross weights.
Maintenance - The RT is easy , given modest mechanical aptitude. The GL never needed much.
Seating accomodations - Nod to the RT, once the stock torture seat was replaced with a Russell. The GL invites you to hunch.
Intangibles - Heavy nod to the RT. It just has character.
I see nothing on the market that gives me any reason to ditch the RT.
Paul

Switching from an '04 GL1800 to an '07 R1200RT produced a exhilarating lightness of being in this humble rider. I felt liberated, younger and smarter all at once -- no small feat.

Face it, as competent as the GL1800 is, it's a gargantuan beast. A very nimble gargantuan beast perhaps, but a gargantuan beast nevertheless. If your motorcycle has a reverse gear -- in my book, it's a gargantuan beast.

I believe within every GL1800 there is an R1200RT yearning to be free!

One can extol the many virtues of the GL1800 all one wants, but it's like the awkward teenager who attempts to compliment his overweight blind date by telling her, "You know -- for a fat girl, you don't sweat much!"

We now have the K1600 bikes to compare against the Gold Wing. Based on the tests and comparisons I have read, the Wing has fallen far behind on everything but passenger comfort.

Premium Gas???

This is a NO! The '07s and newer Twins run regular quite easily, as my GSA1200 does:). The manual says middle grade, 89+ octane, but the knock sensor makes regular gas a no brainer too and I run it most of the time, no issues. 87octane. Randy

I appreciate your comparison as I own both a 2003 GL1800 and a 2009 R1200RT. The one thing that I cannot seem to adjust to is going from a wet clutch on the liquid cooled bike to the dry type clutch on the RT. I am forever conscious of trying not to slip the RT unit and fry the disc. Not having the roll-on torque of the big 6 cylinder, the RT gives me fits at times as I feel the clutch to be vulnerable to harm especially from a dead stop on an uphill grade. Am I just over-protective in this regard or is some secret technique necessary to prevent disaster? Is the clutch disc robust enough to handle serious dead stop slippage? Aside from this issue, the RT is everything that I expected and more. From where I sit if it had a wet-type clutch the bike would be nearly perfect, for me.

I appreciate your comparison as I own both a 2003 GL1800 and a 2009 R1200RT. The one thing that I cannot seem to adjust to is going from a wet clutch on the liquid cooled bike to the dry type clutch on the RT. I am forever conscious of trying not to slip the RT unit and fry the disc. Not having the roll-on torque of the big 6 cylinder, the RT gives me fits at times as I feel the clutch to be vulnerable to harm especially from a dead stop on an uphill grade. Am I just over-protective in this regard or is some secret technique necessary to prevent disaster? Is the clutch disc robust enough to handle serious dead stop slippage? Aside from this issue, the RT is everything that I expected and more. From where I sit if it had a wet-type clutch the bike would be nearly perfect, for me.

Keep in mind the dry clutch design is the same as used in nearly every manual shift car and truck. On my previous BMWs I have never replaced a clutch with several bikes reaching 100000 miles. Respect it, but don't fear it. As stated before trust the torque of the twin and avoid excessive slip once under way.

Back