• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Strip & TPMS

GeorgeR1200RT

My 2007 R1200RT has nearly 69,000 miles.

Less than a year ago my dealer installed a new fuel strip...under the extended warranty.

On my first ride of the new year in January, the fuel monitoring system died again.

Got the bike back from my dealer today with a new fuel strip installed and everything working...again no cost to me.

I do not know if the previous owner had any fuel strips replaced, but this is becoming a pain.

Thanks Mathias BMW, New Philadelphia, Ohio....my dealer for the past 20+years.

On a ride a couple weeks ago, the BMW tire pressure monitoring system stopped working. Turns out the batteries have finally died and the system must be replaced at a cost of $175 per tire plus labor. Not sure I want to spend $4-500 for this.

I have looked at after market Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that cost a lot less. I do not have a new enough Garmin GPS to use their system.

Does anyone have experience with some of the other off brand Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that will work on an RT? The front tire air valve is mounted to the cast spoke, not the rim of the tire.

Does the old BMW system need to be removed for the after market systems to work.

Only a couple recent bikes have had a TPMS, so it is not the end of the world if I don't have one.
Last year my TPMS told me I had a problem so I stopped in Sault Saint Marie, Michigan...pulled a small nail and plugged the tire before I entered Canada.

Can't help you with the TPMS but I have the same bike with roughly the same mileage and am on my fourth fuel strip in the last 30K miles since I bought it.

That seems rather high for the TPMS sensor replacement. I had my sensors replaced during a trip a year or so ago, at Tytlers BMW in Green Bay. I don't recall it being nearly that expensive.

If you look, there are some Youtube vidoes and instructions on some ways that folks have replaced the batteries in the factory sensors.

What I didn't like about the sensors starting to malfunction because of the low batteries was it illuminated the yellow triangle on the dash whenever the signal was lost. After a while you get accustomed to the triangle coming on and I think it could lead to a somewhat complacent attitude and it could actually be something else causing it. I have a GS911 and could get the triangle to go off, but it came right back. I think that is a potential problem with using an aftermarket TPM. I'm not sure there is a good work around to keep the yellow triangle from illuminating?

My 07 GSA is on it's 6th or 7th fuel strip. I don't believe the design has changed so am not optimistic that it will ever work long term.

That seems rather high for the TPMS sensor replacement. I had my sensors replaced during a trip a year or so ago, at Tytlers BMW in Green Bay. I don't recall it being nearly that expensive.

If you look, there are some Youtube vidoes and instructions on some ways that folks have replaced the batteries in the factory sensors.

What I didn't like about the sensors starting to malfunction because of the low batteries was it illuminated the yellow triangle on the dash whenever the signal was lost. After a while you get accustomed to the triangle coming on and I think it could lead to a somewhat complacent attitude and it could actually be something else causing it. I have a GS911 and could get the triangle to go off, but it came right back. I think that is a potential problem with using an aftermarket TPM. I'm not sure there is a good work around to keep the yellow triangle from illuminating?

My 07 GSA is on it's 6th or 7th fuel strip. I don't believe the design has changed so am not optimistic that it will ever work long term.

When I rode home from the dealer after getting the new fuel strip installed, the "tire" symbol went on, but I do not recall seeing the yellow triangle trouble symbol. I will check this when it warms up a bit and I go for another ride.

When I rode home from the dealer after getting the new fuel strip installed, the "tire" symbol went on, but I do not recall seeing the yellow triangle trouble symbol. I will check this when it warms up a bit and I go for another ride.

One time I got the wheels mixed up after a tire change on my K1300S and my wife's K1300S. I did not get a yellow triangle, just dashes _ _ when checking the TPM display.

Current price is $350 for 2 sensors.
If you have the dealer remove the wheels from the bike and remove the tires I would think there would be 1 hour of labor.

I was having Tytlers put new tires on my bike during the middle of a trip, so that may have been some of the labor savings. I will have to look at the receipt and see what the charge was. I haven't used my GS911 for a sensor replacement yet but I think I read something about them having the ability to get the sensors and bike communicating with each other when new ones are installed.

The price of the sensors is outrageous. The sensors are made by Schrader, which makes most of the automotive sensors. Automotive sensors typically run around $40 - $50 each, with some deeper discounts available online. However, you can't buy the motorcycle sensors from Schrader. BMW has an exclusive agreement with Schrader, and the sensors are only available from BMW dealers at whatever price BMW wants to charge.

Does anyone have experience with some of the other off brand Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that will work on an RT? The front tire air valve is mounted to the cast spoke, not the rim of the tire.

Does the old BMW system need to be removed for the after market systems to work.

Not certain there is any such thing as a TPM sensor that is not incorporated with a tubeless air valve.. If this is the case, obviously you'll have to remove the old sensor. In addition, I doubt anyone else makes one compatible with spoke mounting as BMW uses on the front wheel of Hexheads/Camheads and both wheels of Wetheads. Any aftermarket replacement that might exist has of course to be the same transmitter radio frequency as the receiver on your bike. Not just anything works, that is ... assuming "anything" fits, which is unlikely.

Obviously spinning merrily with your wheel and absorbing the same bumps and shocks and temperature variations creates a high stress situation for these sensors, and it could be that the life of the rest of the components of the sensor is very nearly the same as the life of the battery ... making perhaps simple battery replacement a short-lived solution. Clearly no automotive manufacturer authorizes procedures for its dealers to replace batteries, as it's a safety system, and replacement with new components produced under controlled conditions is preferred.

It's a useful safety system that can save your bacon (did mine) and I'd suggest biting the bullet to maintain it in working order. Cost of doing business.

Went for a nice 90 minute ride today through the twisty roads and hills where I live. Sunny and 49 degrees.

Yes, the yellow triangle trouble symbol went on after several minutes of riding and stayed on until I shut the bike down.

From responses, it does not seem there is any way to have the system stop showing the "tire" symbol and the yellow triangle trial symbol.

Has anyone had the "old" TPMS units removed when they get new tires? Would that eliminate the communication with the bike's computer.

Without removing the "yellow problem triangle", there is little point in putting after market sensors on.

Has anyone had the "old" TPMS units removed when they get new tires? Would that eliminate the communication with the bike's computer.

A dead battery eliminates the communication with the computer. The yellow triangle is telling you the computer is not receiving a satisfactory signal. Simply removing the sensor from the wheel will not change that.

There seems to be mixed success with DIY battery replacement. ( See comments on YouTube)

The key might be using a battery with solder tabs attached, for a secure connection.

I have to ask, since I do not see it mentioned anywhere in this thread: Have you actually checked your tire pressure?

A dead battery eliminates the communication with the computer. The yellow triangle is telling you the computer is not receiving a satisfactory signal. Simply removing the sensor from the wheel will not change that.

There seems to be mixed success with DIY battery replacement. ( See comments on YouTube)

I have to ask, since I do not see it mentioned anywhere in this thread: Have you actually checked your tire pressure?

I regularly check my tire pressure before I ride. I have a compressor, so it is easy to add air if needed. I also carry a pressure gauge to check tire pressure on the road...allowing for temperature /pressure difference. The TPMS was always viewed as a convenience rather than a fully reliable tool.

From your response, it sounds like I would have to live with the yellow triangle. I would hope if there is a problem other than the tire pressure, an additional symbol would appear to indicate what the problem is.

Yes, the yellow triangle trouble symbol went on after several minutes of riding and stayed on until I shut the bike down.

From responses, it does not seem there is any way to have the system stop showing the "tire" symbol and the yellow triangle trial symbol.

Of course there isn't.

It's a safety system and no engineer is going to design one that's defeatable and no reputable mechanic will risk the liability of trying.

Actually there is probably a way to defeat it by basically uninstalling it as an option with a different DWA module and programming, but why? There are aftermarket sensors that aren't that expensive. I saw a thread a year or so ago where you could get two sensors for $50.

Back