• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Tire Wears Faster Than Rear!

No, actually it wouldn't. We need to understand that the amount of "sliding" I'm talking about is fractionally small - but significant enough to cause additional wear. Your tire slides all the time. If it didn't, it wouldn't wear out. :thumb

I totally agree with the above statement.

Dealer said there are only 2 thou of tread left, 4 thou required to pass PA state insp.

My mathematically challenged mind asks:

What is "2 thou" ?

What is "4 thou" ?

Is that thousandths of an inch ? As in .002" or .004"

Is that thousands of miles ?

Hunh ? What is missing hear ?

A business card thickness can be ~ .012" - twelve thousandths of an inch.

I'll just keep scratching my head...:)

No, actually it wouldn't. We need to understand that the amount of "sliding" I'm talking about is fractionally small - but significant enough to cause additional wear. Your tire slides all the time. If it didn't, it wouldn't wear out.

Lastly, before we beat the hell out of the subject, those are my final thoughts. :thumb

I get the concept. I'm not a scientist, but I feel like even though it doesn't brake dive as much, it still has weight transfer forward creating pretty much the same grip as any tire on a comparably sized bike which for me is quantified by the fact that it stops just as fast as anything else (if not faster). If it had less forward weight shift, then in maximum breaking it would have a lower threshold for losing traction and activating the ABS.

My thoughts are never final :dance

Another data point:

I changed the tires on my RTP a couple of years ago, and just put a front tire on it again. I don't recall the exact mileage, but I'd estimate that it is 5 or 6000 miles. The rear tire shows minimal wear.

Tires were abused during a weekend advanced proficiency course, and I'm not the most conservative rider in corners.

Tires were Dunlop RoadSmarts. Now have a RoadSmart 2 on the front with no balance weights required. Rear RS balanced with 1/4oz when it was mounted previously. I was impressed at the time, and was surprised by how well the RS2 balanced out.

Insurance goes on the pig tomorrow, and I'll take it for a burn.

What is "2 thou" ?

What is "4 thou" ?

"Thou" was the wrong slang term. And, yes, as stated, the posting would have implied 0.002 or 0.004-inches. What the dealer likely meant to to say was 2/32" or 4/32". In PA and much of the USA, minimum required tread depth is specified in increments of 1/32" or, nominally, 0.031" or 0.8mm.

What is "2 thou" ?

What is "4 thou" ?

Hey I am merely passing on exactly what I was told... Well OK I abbreviated thousandths to "thou" (so not the biblical thou as in you).
I assume, possibly like many others, that thousandths= increments in inches? As in .003 & .004.
Sorry for the confusion, but hey- it ain't rocket surgery.
Don't scratch too hard, sir. It surely isn't worth all that.

Back