• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Filling GS Tires

Personal Locating Beacon, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=PLB&crid=181MPDQIFFF2S&sprefix=plb,aps,198&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Satellite-based system with better coverage than SPOT, with no annual fee or subscription. Most are good for 4-5 years then must be returned to mfg for battery servicing. They are designed to only be activated in an emergency situation and any activation beyond the built-in test routines requires that the unit be mfgr-serviced.

There are quite a number of people who carry SPOT or InReach for normal tracking and a PLB for when things really go pie-shaped.

Best,
DeVern

Yep. That's a really good link. REI has it done pretty well to help those that don't think they'll need certain items when hiking - and that correlates to riding off into the "who knows where"....

Personal Locating Beacon, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=PLB&crid=181MPDQIFFF2S&sprefix=plb,aps,198&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Satellite-based system with better coverage than SPOT, with no annual fee or subscription. Most are good for 4-5 years then must be returned to mfg for battery servicing. They are designed to only be activated in an emergency situation and any activation beyond the built-in test routines requires that the unit be mfgr-serviced.

There are quite a number of people who carry SPOT or InReach for normal tracking and a PLB for when things really go pie-shaped.

Best,
DeVern

Ahhhh …. Thanks. So kind of like an EPRB I suspect.

I like SPOT for the ability to get help when not a medical emergency or to get quick help in life or death and also allowing me to send messages on the road or at days end.

I only had to use SPOT once in a life threatening situation and it did its job. It was not me who was hurt but my buddy who unfortunately did not survive. But since then I always carry it.

Everyone has their own comfort level on the road.

For at home I use a hose end inflater with a clip on air chuck.

I never have had to air up on the road, but I do carry a cheap compressor.

For at home I use a hose end inflater with a clip on air chuck.

I never have had to air up on the road, but I do carry a cheap compressor.

Funny ... I carry a SLIME air pump on each bike and have used them probably 3 or 4 times but never on my bike. Helps a Canadian Royal Police officer once with it.

PoorUB, I'd suggest you check any compressor you carry with you before you trust it on the road. Just once in a while in the garage will surprise you at times. I would say "don't ask me how I know" bu you already know that now...:blush

OTOH, there's always "that one event" that all the tools you can carry won't help. A few years ago, I was headed home to Clovis, NM on US 82, through Guthrie, TX. Shortly after leaving Guthrie, and fortunately, just before I reached the rest stop at the end of the curve out of town, I noted the back end was all of a sudden - really loose. I pulled into the rest stop, put the bike on the centerstand, pulled the bags off and heard an air leak. Dug out my plug kit and started searching for the hole. Never found it. Temps were 100° plus so --- PLB. Took about 15 minutes for the Sheriff out of Guthrie to show up. Couple minutes later, both another SO and a highway maintenance guy showed up. None of us could locate the leak. I used the compressor to get air pressures up and see what we could find - absolutely no joy. Since there is no cell service at that location, the SO called their dispatch to call my son and tell him to bring the trailer to get me home. SO was awesome and stayed with me to keep me cooled down in his unit.

Jimmy showed up, we loaded and headed home. We absolutely could not locate the leak. The dealer in Albuquerque did locate it. It was exactly in the exact center of the sipe that runs the full diameter of the tire - in the center. They DID NOT locate it while it was still mounted. I simply told them to replace it and they found it from the inside of the tire. The tech said it looked like whatever I ran over either was ejected or just punched the hole and didn't stay in the tire at all.

There's some stuff on the market called Fix-A-Flat that I considered [JIC] - but decided that may not be a great idea to carry in the heat where I normally ride in the summer.

My point is - regardless how well you're prepared, "crap occurs" that you simply can't plan for.

What you CAN plan for, is emergency contact capability.

Don't leave home without it... :blush

One of the pictures shows one of those DIN BMW cigarette lighter power connections. I would be surprised if that connection let one fill a tire.
Direct to the battery is best from my experience.
OM

It actually will handle the power needed - at least with the unit I have. Ignition has to be on to use that power socket but otherwise, it works just fine.

One of the pictures shows one of those DIN BMW cigarette lighter power connections. I would be surprised if that connection let one fill a tire.
Direct to the battery is best from my experience.
OM

Don't most good air pumps [ designed for motorcycles/atv's etc ] use 10 amps? The Canbus is 5 amps max I believe. My pump couldn't be used with the canbus, has to be direct to batt connection

Don't most good air pumps [ designed for motorcycles/atv's etc ] use 10 amps? The Canbus is 5 amps max I believe. My pump couldn't be used with the canbus, has to be direct to batt connection
That’s always been my take on it. Mine popped the fuse in a 3500 Dodge cigarette outlet.

It actually will handle the power needed - at least with the unit I have. Ignition has to be on to use that power socket but otherwise, it works just fine.
Great it worked for you.

OM

PoorUB, I'd suggest you check any compressor you carry with you before you trust it on the road. Just once in a while in the garage will surprise you at times. I would say "don't ask me how I know" bu you already know that now...:blush

I said I never aired up on the road, other riders have! I have used it a couple times for other bikes, and tested it on my RT to make sure it worked.

Back