• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Favorite "Non-Local" Roads

The Kankamangus Highway near Conway in New Hampshire is one of the best in the U.S. Watch out for moose crossing the road, though.

I agree, it is a great road - However ... You'll need to hit this at about 6am to really enjoy it - anytime later it is laden with campers and inanely erratic looky-loos.

While you're in the area make sure to hit Frankonia Notch

Ride up Mt. Washington

And of course stop for a tasty breakfast in Colbrooke :)

97NewEnglandTrip006.jpg

Not really local.

I like the ones that few riders know about.
I don't know about you, but this is my kind of road.
:bliss

0014.jpg

A few favorites:

- Alt. 14 coming down off the Bighorns into Sheridan, WY.
- Pig Trail and 123 in northwest Arkansas
- Chowchilla cutoff from Hwy 99 to Mariposa, California
- 209, 215, and 216 in North Carolina
- US421 in eastern Kentucky

And on and on.....

Jon

Favorite non-local Road

Wyoming 10 South out of Woods Landing into Colorado (along the Laramie River) for about 25 miles into Colorado. After 25 miles the road turns into dirt (did about 10 yrs. ago) and maybe not so strangely so do the awesome vistas. I was so impressed I kept going back and forth at about 20 mph until sunset. The terrain is lush green foothills (no trees - pasture stuff) and sculpted enough to leave interesting shadows.

I found this road because I was curious as to why there was private land for miles east and west of it surrounded by public land. Also the private land ended at about the 25 mile point turning again into public land and dirt road, curious.

Please, don't tell me it's Condo Row/McMansions now!

jerryb

Last edited:
Back